Joe Cocker, what about him..

Played in Joe's band for about three yrs: went all over the country with him,(drove the van).Gentle lad who was really 'very shy' until he was on stage, then...wow!!

took him some time to develop his stage personallity but when he did the sparks really began to fly.( and the booze)

Joe was destined for stardom from the age of 18 when I joined the band (Cavaliers) He changed the name to Vance Arnold & 'The Avengers'. I first saw him at The Broughton' about Nov; 1961,joined the band a month later.

To compare him with Frank Sinatra is like comparing chalk and cheese, Cocker's a Rocker,

Sinatra's... West Life,

Joe is the best talent Sheffield has produced !! shame he seems to have forgotten his roots.

I used to go and watch Joe at st Columbas church hall, Crosspool, friday nights/ bout 1961/2 time; though I always though that Johnny Hawk and th Falcolns( Raymond and John Woodcraft) were far better than Joe = wonder where Raymond an John are; we went to the same Catholic school, St Josephs at Walkley.

Raymond singing " fever" was unbelievably fantastic.

I used to go and watch Joe at st Columbas church hall, Crosspool, friday nights/ bout 1961/2 time; though I always though that Johnny Hawk and th Falcolns( Raymond and John Woodcraft) were far better than Joe = wonder where Raymond an John are; we went to the same Catholic school, St Josephs at Walkley.

Raymond singing " fever" was unbelievably fantastic.

Think he played Saturday nights as I was in the Raiders and we played on alternate Saturdays to Joe.

Think he played Saturday nights as I was in the Raiders and we played on alternate Saturdays to Joe.
Thanks; maybe some Forum connection will come up with Ray Woodcraft /Johnny Hawks history.

There was another Group who performed there/St Columbas= I believe Barry Glyn or Glyn Barry.

How times move on = Im now undertaking " Care in the Community" for Crosspool elderly and infirm ; we meet at St Columbas same Hall and my imagination runs wild with a mix of thoughts !. Robert ( Smith)

We never played on a Fri: night at St; Columbas it was always Saturdays.Still have my 'Bookings Book'.

By the way, we were a lot more R&B and heavier than The Falcons,...Ray Charles, Chuck Berry,Richie Barrett... we always opened with 'Some Other Guy'!! Well Joe did,we did 'Poison Ivy' before he came on,he was probably in the back "fuelling up" with his pint.

The Woodcrafts were great pals of ours and we often played together at various venues. Their mother was a district nurse and very strict with both boys,never approving of their Rock'n'Roll (Group)!lol.They,like most bands of that era were Cliff Richard inspired.

Barry Glyn was a lovely lad, (real name turned around) he was a builder's son from Dronfield I seem to remember, joined The Cadillacs after John Greaves, (Johnny Tempest) departed.

Great days, always loved St Cols: great memories.!!

Edited by WhiteFender

We never played on a Fri: night at St; Columbas it was always Saturdays.Still have my 'Bookings Book'.

By the way, we were a lot more R&B and heavier than The Falcons,...Ray Charles, Chuck Berry,Richie Barrett... we always opened with 'Some Other Guy'!! Well Joe did,we did 'Poison Ivy' before he came on,he was probably in the back "fuelling up" with his pint.

The Woodcrafts were great pals of ours and we often played together at various venues. Their mother was a district nurse and very strict with both boys,never approving of their Rock'n'Roll (Group)!lol.They,like most bands of that era were Cliff Richard inspired.

Barry Glyn was a lovely lad, (real name turned around) he was a builder's son from Dronfield I seem to remember, joined The Cadillacs after John Greaves, (Johhny Tempest) departed.

Great days, always loved St Cols: great memories.!!

Thanks. I knew Mrs Woodcraft, used to think I looked like Elvis !!!; their father was Police Sargeant in Sheffield, living on Bates st, Crookes/ I was Bradley street/ best mate at the time Johnny Carrack ( Pauls brother:-/ claim to fame = pinching Joe s bird for a couple of nights- Eileen..

Really fond memories and thanks for sharing; if you do happen to get any news about Raymond- John , do let us know.

Another tribute to Joe In this months 'MY KIND of TOWN' Monthly Sheffield mag:Well written but not totally factual. Worth a quick read.

Edited by WhiteFender

It's good to see Bonnie Raitt's name mention she is a wonderful singer, if you haven't heard her you should check her out, it will be worth the effort, she is a great blues singer although personally I love her "Longing in Their Hearts" and "Luck of the Draw" albums

Bonnie is one of the best slide guitar players around too

---------- Post added 27-12-2017 at 00:43 ----------

Another tribute to Joe In this months 'MY KINDA TOWN' Monthly Sheffield mag:Well written but not totally factual. Worth a quick read.

What happened to your first drummer with the Avengers, Steve McKenna, is he still around? He was in my year at school( De La Salle). Bit of a lad, Steve.

Edited by Ontarian1981