New gym member. Goals and programmes?

I recently joined PureGym (cracking deal, 3 months try-out for only £30), after leaving Fitness Unlimited.

I'd say my general fitness is very good; however, going to the gym rather than formal exercises classes, I find a bit challenging. The problem is that I have no structure or plan to what I'm doing. I just find myself using the treadmills (run a mile) then using the resistance machines or doing some stretches, then back to the treadmills, rinse and repeat. That's all well and good, but it just feels a bit flakey and going nowhere.

So, question is; should I have some kind of plan, or checklist; regarding what exercises I plan to do on each visit? Perhaps based on some overall goal?

Open to suggestions, please feel free to share your approach?

Thanks.

That is a great deal I can't believe I missed it!

Yeah you should at least have some idea of what you are trying to achieve for instance either losing weight, toning up, building muscle, or just becoming stronger

Once you know what you are wanting to achieve then you can look at routines which can work the areas for you :)

If you want to start toning up you are doing the right thing Cardio on the treadmills then you could try light weight dumbbells to tone the muscles up if you are looking to bigger and more muscular go for heavier weights and make sure that you eat well and drink plenty of water...

If you want to know anymore or any tips message me im more than happy to help thanks..

I recently joined PureGym (cracking deal, 3 months try-out for only £30), after leaving Fitness Unlimited.

I'd say my general fitness is very good; however, going to the gym rather than formal exercises classes, I find a bit challenging. The problem is that I have no structure or plan to what I'm doing. I just find myself using the treadmills (run a mile) then using the resistance machines or doing some stretches, then back to the treadmills, rinse and repeat. That's all well and good, but it just feels a bit flakey and going nowhere.

So, question is; should I have some kind of plan, or checklist; regarding what exercises I plan to do on each visit? Perhaps based on some overall goal?

Open to suggestions, please feel free to share your approach?

Thanks.

Hi Waldo, I am also a Pure Gym member at Millhouses, 71 years old, a good level of fitness which I try to maintain. I also just use the treadmill, cross trainer, rowing machine and static bike and nothing else. I vary the routine on each by moving up and down what I would call the resistances. I also vary my time on each and record the distance covered in say 10 mins as an example. Beating those times distance wise is my aim. I also watch my heart rate and try to ramp it up as much as I can. Forgot to say I always start with a full range of body stretches which last usually around 15 mins. Don't ever get disheartened, keep at it and use the stair anology i.e. up a level, flatten out, up another level and flatten out again. Keep us posted on progress and keep your eyes off those lovely young ladies !!

I like a lot of what running man has to say.

I think its a good thing to have loads of targets. Actual times for given distances are more rewarding in my experience.

To set them in the first place is tricky so try to have a relaxed session where you don't push too hard and complete the time/distance in good order. Then add or subtract 5-10% round it down/up to an appealing number and then see if you can achieve it over 1month.

I'm cardio type rather than definition. Currently re-visiting indoor rowing. Concept2 have a fantastic website with world rankings that can be filtered to isolate sex, weight and age over about 12 times/distances. 2 mins per 500 meters is my target which I can achieve for 500 and 1000 meters - next up is the classic Olympic distance of 2k and the bench mark of sub 8 minutes.

Edited by Flanker7

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

I have the tail end of a cold (and it's been a flipping long tail); so, not too inclined to type much here, right now.

On to my goals, I'm thinking of 4 areas.

1. Running:

I feel my running performance has dropped a lot, over the last 2 years; I'd like to get back to where I was 2 or 3 years back, where I was training for marathons, and doing a lot of miles per month. Really felt the benefit of that training, certainly when it came to doing half marathons and 10k's; felt awesome to be running well and getting good times.

I always found a kind of positive feedback loop with running; the better I run, the more inclined I am to go out for training runs, the better I run, etc. The converse is true too.

I'm thinking, it makes sense, to set myself multiple waypoint targets, rather than a target of getting back to where I was 2 years ago.

2. General cardiovascular fitness.

Circuit training class, once or twice a week. Where I am right now, makes sense to do once a week.

3. Suppleness and flexibility.

As the years are passing by, I find I'm just not a bendy as I used to be. I feel I need to incorporate some kind of stretching or flexibility work in to my weekly regime. Used to do yoga once a week at Ponds Forge, but they don't seem to have it at PureGym.

4. Strength building and definition.

This is the area I have the least experience with. I'd like to be a bit stronger; not overly muscular though, just well toned. I've tried a few of the resistance machines at the gym. Free weights feel a bit intimidating somehow though. I think it's probably down to it being an area where I don't really know what I'm doing.

---

Generally, I feel I need some kind of checklist or plan of what I'm going to be doing for a week. Repeat that on a weekly basis. Does anyone do that? If so, do you use a smartphone app or just pen and paper?

Thanks again. :)

Lift weights. You won't get 'overly muscular' by looking at a barbell. You need to eat like a horse and pack a lot of protein into your diet for that.

Hi Waldo

My workouts basically consist of a 2 mile run to the gym which serves as a warm up a half hour hitt,a bit of weight work and then a slow run back home.

I am a big convert to high intensity training the insanity type where you really push your self and have short recovery times,I typically do half an hour of this and you really feel it.(and sweat a lot!!)

I use either the croos trainer treadmill or stairs as long as it gets my heat rate well up its so much more beneficial than just plodding along at a steady pace and it gives you a real buz afterwards.

It has enabled me to lose a fair amount of weight and my half marathon time has dropped by about 5 mins in a few months.

I do weights after usually focusing on a different area each time.

Good luck.

Edited by Fudbeer
added