Breathe Easy Sheffield Group

Hi Terry. I am a COPD sufferer and would like more information about the group

Hi,rapfan, I can put you in touch with the secretary of the Breathe Easy Sheffield Support Group. I've not done this before on the Forum so is there a secure way of doing it?

Regards

Terry

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 11:35 ----------

Hi Terry

My mum has COPD so any advice you could give would be most welcome.

What help exactly do you need?

We are a support group who offer help and assistance to anyone through our Group activities.I can put you in touch with our Secretary if there is a secure way of doing it on the Forum.

Regards

Terry

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 11:40 ----------

Do you get involved in trying to tackle areas of heavy pollution in Sheffield?

Hi,Mr Bloom, no we are not directly involved in that part of it but more to do with helping sufferers to manage their lives better having got the problem.

Pollution is no doubt part of the cause but it's a very wide ranging subject which others are more likely to be able to deal with .

Regards

Terry

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 11:44 ----------

Hello, I'm very interested to hear about the group, I have had COPD for quite a few years now, and as time has gone on it has become worse.I have always been told it is due to smoking, and I'll hold my hands up as I used to smoke, but been packed up 25years , but to be fair I'd never heard of such a disease, we all know about cancer but COPD? never. I'd be interested to know more about the group. Thankyou

Hi,Applegrim, I have been affected by COPD(in particular Bronchiectasis) for many years and have recently got involved with the BLF's local group called Breathe Easy Sheffield. I can put you in touch with the secretary if there is a secure way of doing on the Forum.

Regards

Terry

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 11:49 ----------

What is COPD?

Hi, Marx, COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease of which there are several different kinds.

Regards

Terry

---------- Post added 17-03-2014 at 11:54 ----------

Hi, Terry.

I'm horrified to hear that 1 in 10 Sheffielders have COPD. That's a shocking number of people.

Hi, Plain Talker, yes it is a lot of people. In the UK there're at least 1 in 10 people affected by some form of lung disease which means at least 50,000 in the Sheffield area.

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry :wave:

3 more separate posts to make and then, I think, you will be able to leave private messages :)

Thank you for the info today - I have passed it on to my Mum :thumbsup:

Hi,Everyone, I want to let those who are interested in COPD that there is a meeting of the Group on Wednesday April 9th. 2014, at The Springs Leisure Centre, East Bank Road, Sheffield, S2 2AL starting at 1.30pm until 2.30pm approx.Tea & Coffee are available. Patients, Carers and Friends are all welcome.

terry27

There is also a Breathe Easy group at Rotherham, Badsley Moor Lane Hospital.

Hi,Jomie, I think I met someone from Rotherham Group at the Barnsley Summer Fundraising Event. We had some smashing strawberries & cream etc & I even won a bottle of Scotch. I. Hope we can meet up sometime and swap notes for each other's benefit and for every COPD sufferer and Carer.

Regards

terry27

---------- Post added 27-03-2014 at 19:25 ----------

Hi Terry :wave:

3 more separate posts to make and then, I think, you will be able to leave private messages :)

Thank you for the info today - I have passed it on to my Mum :thumbsup:

Hi, bestford, many thanks for your encouragement and other assistance. You and your mates keep up the good work at the Brearley Wing, NGH.

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry

I work for the University of Sheffield, recruiting patients to come and assist with teaching and exams for student doctors. We have contacts with the Breathe Easy Group in Rotherham and their members regularly come along to help us out, and we are trying to get in touch with someone from the Sheffield group to see if anybody that attends there may be interested in getting involved too. Would you be able to put me in touch with somebody I could speak to about us coming down to see you all?

Is it only people with COPD that attend or do people with any respiratory condition come along?

If you want to send me a private message then we can get in touch that way.

Thanks very much,

Emma

Hi, Emma, I'm sure we'll have some interest in your project. I for one would be happy to know more about what is involved. I would like you to contact our Group Secretary via the contact details available on line or through this forum.

Sounds like a great idea.

COPD is the shortened name for a group of respiratory diseases most of which we cover in our sufferings.

Regards

Terry

Hi,Everyone who is interested. We are holding our Annual General Meeting at Springs Leisure Centre on 13/08/2014 beginning at 1.30pm following our next choir practice.

Anyone who is in anyway connected to someone with COPD is welcome to come along and see if we can help you. Our main role is to help patients and Carers to manage their COPD condition as well as possible. we know that these illnesses cannot be cured but the management of them can be done as well as possible.

Regards

Terry Schofield (Outgoing Chairman)

Respiratory disease and the work of Breathing Space, Rotherham was profiled on BBC1 News at Six tonight. For those who are interested, the link is here. The piece is about 18 minutes in. Breathing Space was built as a result of collaboration between the Coalfields Regeneration Trust and Rotherham NHS - link.

Edited by Jomie

Is copd a disease or condition brought about by inhaling toxic fumes, if it is a disease then is there a treatment or is medication just there to assist suffers to breathe?

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is an umbrella term used to describe a number of progressive lung diseases - link. Some respiratory diseases that can lead to COPD are asthma, bronchiectasis, emphysema pneumoconiosis among others. Inhalation of toxic substances e.g. smoking, coal dust can cause lung damage which can lead COPD.

Medication can help to alleviate the symptoms. Stopping smoking, rehabilitation, diet and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can also do much to improve the sufferer's quality of life.

Edited by Jomie