Why do people wait till spring to have work done?

I know this is a silly question,but why do people wait till spring to have work done?

yes this has been the worst week of the year and most outdoor workers aren't working this week due to the weather.

But as the seasons migrate there are a lots of dry days when work can be completed although the days are short. Contractors offer discounts in this quiet period, surely it would be better to have work done ready for the spring rather than contact someone in the spring and wait a couple more months for the work to be completed and miss the enjoyment of using it in the summer.

Well, everything seems to grind to a halt the minute Christmas stuff starts appearing in the shops around October. Then nobody has time to have it done. Then the weather is too cold / wet / foggy / etc for cement, plaster etc to dry, so they have to wait until Spring. In my experience it actually seems to be a pretty small window between March and September to get anything done.

It depends what work you mean. Do you mean indoors or outdoors?

I had my kitchen worktops replaced about six years ago. I negotiated a good price as I was willing to have the work done 2nd and 3rd January when nobody else wanted the disruption.

I think a lot of people are short of cash just after Christmas, so non essential jobs are pushed back for a while.

It's probably brexit's fault.

I had my attic converted in Jan a couple of years ago. Was bloody cold with no roof on.

Apparently you can't lay bricks in the rain or in frosty conditions. Just about answers it for me.

Although someone is having their rear garden landscaped at the moment, the mess they are making on the paths etc is beyond belief. Hence why i've held off on that for a month or two.

Apparently you can't lay bricks in the rain or in frosty conditions. Just about answers it for me.

Although someone is having their rear garden landscaped at the moment, the mess they are making on the paths etc is beyond belief. Hence why i've held off on that for a month or two.

Laying mortar, concrete, cement based products generally is a no no in anything approaching freezing, from memory perhaps something like 4 degrees and below. The product also needs to cure a certain amount before temperatures drop.

Generally construction in winter is risky. Scaffolding is more likely to encounter high winds, any kind of opening in the fabric of a building is more exposed to wind, rain, freezing temperatures. The ground is generally wetter and muddier, - that comes into your house quite easily when builders are involved. If you're using a proper building contract then extreme weather might even entitle the builder to make additional financial claims if exceptionally inclement weather forces them to stop work. If you're trying to live in your house while work is happening then an unforeseen problem could see you without heating/ electric/ water.

It can, and is, done. And I would expect it to be cheaper as a base quote at this time of year depending on what it is.

Avoiding the school summer holidays is also a good idea as this is when all the schools have maintenance work done and classroom extensions tend to get built.