Support human rights act?

Do you support the human rights act?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the human rights act?

• YES
    • NO

I support the human rights act, do you?

"Tory government votes not to retain European human rights charter in UK law after Brexit".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-mps-vote-against-including-european-fundamental-rights-charter-in-uk-law-a8162981.html

Not sure how the European human rights charter will affect things, will things be different outside the EU?

I am very skeptical.

It depends on its use and misuse.

For example, this rule:

An employer needs to follow the guidelines outlined in the Human Rights Act and respect the private life of an employee. This means that throughout the working day, employees are allowed by law to use telephone and email for private purposes, not only during break times but throughout the day.

What about those that then misuse this right and waste their entire day in non work related matters?

Hasn't there also been cases where illegal immigrants - and criminal ones - have used the act to their favour to stay in this country?

Edited by alchresearch

For example, this rule:

What about those that then misuse this right and waste their entire day in non work related matters?

Hasn't there also been cases where illegal immigrants - and criminal ones - have used the act to their favour to stay in this country?

But then conversely what about those who, for example, have young children and may need to be contacted in case of an emergency?

If you have rights, there's always the possibility there'll be abused - does that mean we shouldn't have rights?

all humans should have an act to protect their rights, otherwise their governments can do anything to their population they want, just look at some other countries to see how this works

For example, this rule:

Presumably if they do that, they won't get much work done. I would have thought you then have grounds to fire them for not doing their job.

But then conversely what about those who, for example, have young children and may need to be contacted in case of an emergency?

If you have rights, there's always the possibility there'll be abused - does that mean we shouldn't have rights?

We managed well enough pre mobile phones,in emergency phone the workplace to pass a message.Phones are banned on all building sites anyone caught using one is off site no appeal.

We managed well enough pre mobile phones,in emergency phone the workplace to pass a message.Phones are banned on all building sites anyone caught using one is off site no appeal.

And no one has been to court to appeal that, so I guess using a mobile at work is down to the discretion of the employer.

all humans should have an act to protect their rights, otherwise their governments can do anything to their population they want, just look at some other countries to see how this works

Since Britain has been setting standards in human rights for a thousand years there's no need for anyone to get over emotional about the future in the UK.

From humble beginnings with Magna Carta, through creation of property rights, slavery abolition and prevention, writing the ECHR, right up to gay marriage (that was Conservative Cameron by the way) there's no need to become hysterical that the EU won't be able to police the UK legal system.

I think we're quite safe and we will continue, as we do now, to have higher standards than minimums set down by the EU.

Since Britain has been setting standards in human rights for a thousand years there's no need for anyone to get over emotional about the future in the UK.

From humble beginnings with Magna Carta, through creation of property rights, slavery abolition and prevention, writing the ECHR, right up to gay marriage (that was Conservative Cameron by the way) there's no need to become hysterical that the EU won't be able to police the UK legal system.

I think we're quite safe and we will continue, as we do now, to have higher standards than minimums set down by the EU.

wernt we involved in the slave trade a few hundred years ago? wasnt Bristol built on it?

1000s of years? hmmm

Phones are banned on all building sites anyone caught using one is off site no appeal.

Are they, when did that come into force? They may be banned when operating machinery such as diggers, trucks etc but I don't think there is a general ban. I have seen several times men with hard hats on a construction site using them and know others who do also.

Are they, when did that come into force? They may be banned when operating machinery such as diggers, trucks etc but I don't think there is a general ban. I have seen several times men with hard hats on a construction site using them and know others who do also.

normally managers :hihi: it doesnt apply to them lol, at my old place phones were banned, i got caught a couple of times. The assistant trainee manager used to pop into my domain, the lab, as it was tucked away outside, to use his phone as he shared the office with the manager and had big open window into the assembly part

wernt we involved in the slave trade a few hundred years ago? wasnt Bristol built on it?

1000s of years? hmmm

Indeed we were son, indeed we were. Just like everywhere else on Earth was, and an awful lot still is.

Then we (a Yorkshireman actually) set out to abolish it before anyone else and employed our Navy to patrol the west coast of Africa to stop other people doing it at a time when we were also fighting the French.

So unless you are claiming that the British could have been the only people on the entire planet that never did slavery I'd say that was a pretty decent human rights record on slavery for Britain. There's nothing to worry about on human rights in the UK because of Brexit.

BTW, a thousand isn't 1000's.