Sheffield has the highest student retention rate after graduation

It used to be said that more students stayed in Sheffield than anywhere else after they graduated. I don't think that is true any more but it would be interesting to hear if people do stay here to live and work, and what jobs they do.

Lets be honest Sheffield has slipped down the list of desirable places. Town centre is rubbish. Traffic getting worse. Fly tipping all over. Some areas are ghettos... Page Hall, Burngreave... Tinsley etc. Knife crime on the rise. Overcrowded public services.

Only one decent football club. Hillsborough needs renovating though.

On the other hand we are the "City Of Sanctuary"..... Brass band plays

Simple fact of the matter is there are very very few graduate jobs in Sheffield.

While lots may stay for a brief period after graduating, those that wish to pursue a career are forced to move, whether they want to or not.

Lets be honest Sheffield has slipped down the list of desirable places. Town centre is rubbish. Traffic getting worse. Fly tipping all over. Some areas are ghettos... Page Hall, Burngreave... Tinsley etc. Knife crime on the rise. Overcrowded public services.

A bit sad, and irrelevant, to use this thread to have a football-related swipe, and I speak of a fan of neither club.

Housing in Sheffield isn't even "cheap" anymore, the cost of a small terrace in Crookes for instance is ridiculous.

It used to be said that more students stayed in Sheffield than anywhere else after they graduated. I don't think that is true any more but it would be interesting to hear if people do stay here to live and work, and what jobs they do.

Still popular to stay around after graduation with the students that I know.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 15:17 ----------

Housing in Sheffield isn't even "cheap" anymore, the cost of a small terrace in Crookes for instance is ridiculous.

And yet it's still cheaper than many areas of the country.

A bit sad, and irrelevant, to use this thread to have a football-related swipe, and I speak of a fan of neither club.

A degree is no substitute for a sense of humour. :D

Page Hall's not a ghetto.

A dump? Yes.

A slum? Maybe.

A ghetto? Never.

As for knife crime, if you read the local rag, you'd think half of Sheffielders do little else than go round stabbing each other while the other half are too scared to leave their homes.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 18:56 ----------

A degree is no substitute for a sense of humour. :D

I have neither :)

Page Hall's not a ghetto.

A dump? Yes.

A slum? Maybe.

A ghetto? Never.

As for knife crime, if you read the local rag, you'd think half of Sheffielders do little else than go round stabbing each other while the other half are too scared to leave their homes.

---------- Post added 17-01-2018 at 18:56 ----------

I have neither :)

Well... agreed about the local rag... But Page Hall? I went to school there, lived their from the age of 2 to 38. I worked on building the Wensley Estate. Later I worked for a RSL in the area, I managed properties... My son lives in the area, my mother has just moved out of the area.. Page Hall is.... see Donald Trump's remark (if he even said it).

Wouldn’t it be fair to mention that the retail quarter is now under development which will improve the city centre a great deal and we have more than a few very desirable districts in which to live?

Wouldn’t it be fair to mention that the retail quarter is now under development which will improve the city centre a great deal and we have more than a few very desirable districts in which to live?

It is difficult for the council. They have the problem of too many cars, but they are anti car. Nothing wrong with that but retail can't survive if there's not enough parking and its difficult to get in and out of town...

I never go to town these days. Its difficult to park on street and the car parks are expensive. Think I paid 6 quid the last time I went to town. That's not a great deal of money but I can drive to Meadowhall and park for nowt.

I feel town centre shopping is in decline and these areas will have to look at other incomes...

The centre for cities published some stats in 2016/17 Sheffield isn't even in the top 10 for retention these days. Manchester (~50%) is 2nd to London, Sheffield is 13th with a retention rate of about 30%.

http://www.centreforcities.org/reader/14524-2/detailed-look-movement-students-graduates/figure-16-retention-rates-uk-city-201314-201415/

Sheffield is 9th in terms of working graduate numbers, 6 months after graduation (1.4% of graduates compared to London's 24.4% and Manchester's 4.5%)