Disposing of corporate workwear

I've got a load of logo'd up polo shirts I want to be rid of but I don't want to just put them in the nearest clothing recycle bin as I want to make sure they're shredded rather than end up on the back of a Somalian pirate or something.

Where can I send them (and as it's Sheffield forum;)) for free disposal?

My ex used to take all old clothes to a dog charity and they weighed them in regardless of condition

I kept mine, I find them very useful when i'm gardening or decorating....

Do they have commercially sensitive documents printed on them or something?

Do they have commercially sensitive documents printed on them or something?

No. I take my brand seriously and I don't want it worn by people who I don't know. I can find companies nationally that do it so I can't be the only one thinking about it, I just hoped there was somebody local.

Secure destruction isn't going to be cheap. It also depends if you need witnessed destruction and guaranteed shredding / destruction.

As a business they must go to a licenced waste site otherwise you are breaking the law, see duty of care, business waste on dot Gov.

I suggest you cut through the logo then take them to a waste site that has a shredder. You need to keep a copy of their site permit / exemption and keep a waste transfer note.

As a business you should already have something in place for your waste, even your office bin, paper, cardboard from parcels, old envelopes etc from incoming post.

Can't you just cut the logos out of the shirts? Then they can go into the usual rag collection.

Otherwise burn them in an incinerator.

Can't you just cut the logos out of the shirts? Then they can go into the usual rag collection.

Otherwise burn them in an incinerator.

Do you mean into domestic textile recycling? They could but it's not legal to do that with business waste, neither is burning them yourself. They should go to a 'licenced' incinerator.

Edited by Chez2
Typo

Secure destruction isn't going to be cheap. It also depends if you need witnessed destruction and guaranteed shredding / destruction.

As a business they must go to a licenced waste site otherwise you are breaking the law, see duty of care, business waste on dot Gov.

I suggest you cut through the logo then take them to a waste site that has a shredder. You need to keep a copy of their site permit / exemption and keep a waste transfer note.

As a business you should already have something in place for your waste, even your office bin, paper, cardboard from parcels, old envelopes etc from incoming post.

Paper and labels (there aren't many) get shredded and stuck in the viridor bin. Now I think about it IIRC they'll try and recycle the contents, but if they don't I'm sending a big pile of textiles to landfill which I'd equally want to avoid. I'll ring them in the morning.

It's a pain, if had a big pile of knackered t-shirts I wanted to recycle privately - the world would be my oyster. "A business you say? Here's a dozen hoops to jump through and a stack of paperwork. And here's the bill."

Do you mean into domestic textile recycling? They could but it's not legal to do that with business waste, .

no That's not what I meant.

My understanding is that clothes given to charity shops are sorted and garments that are unsuitable for wearing are recycled into new products. In the past they used to cut up old clothes and they went on to be sold as industrial cleaning rags, but nowadays I think cloth is shredded and rewoven to make new clothes and other products.

Paper and labels (there aren't many) get shredded and stuck in the viridor bin. Now I think about it IIRC they'll try and recycle the contents, but if they don't I'm sending a big pile of textiles to landfill which I'd equally want to avoid. I'll ring them in the morning.

It's a pain, if had a big pile of knackered t-shirts I wanted to recycle privately - the world would be my oyster. "A business you say? Here's a dozen hoops to jump through and a stack of paperwork. And here's the bill."

What? Are you being serious? Your council tax pays for your domestic waste, it doesn't pay for your business waste. Recycle means make bac into cloth. Most companies would shred and burn with energy recovery - this is classed as recovery not recycling. What makes you think everything goes to landfill? Why do people always jump to that conclusion. At in excess of £100 / T that is not the first choice of disposal.

If Viridor provide your business bin then talk to them to see what service they can offer.

---------- Post added 19-09-2017 at 09:40 ----------

no That's not what I meant.

My understanding is that clothes given to charity shops are sorted and garments that are unsuitable for wearing are recycled into new products. In the past they used to cut up old clothes and they went on to be sold as industrial cleaning rags, but nowadays I think cloth is shredded and rewoven to make new clothes and other products.

They don't all do that, I don't know any that do, not local to us anyway.

I've rung round a few places and they all want to burn it. What an absolute waste.