Crosspool pub guide

I thought I would review the pubs of Crosspool starting today and we can edit this guide as, hopefully, things improve. Based on tonight here is the current chart:

1. Sportsman

2. Crosspool Tavern

3. Plough (actually it's disqualified as it's currently shut, but hopefully it's due to reopen soon)

Compared to the pubs of neighbouring Crookes/Crookesmoor or Ranmoor/Nether Green or Broomhill, the 2 in Crosspool are frankly not great. But that's suburbia for you I guess.

The Sportsman is actually pretty good now for what it is. It's been refurbished to a good standard and it does what it does (Ember Inns eating place) very well. Jaipur on hand pump (£2.50 on a Monday, £3.70 otherwise) and a few others which seem OK.

Crosspool Tavern is a fairly tired carvery/cheapo meals place. It's due a refurb. Beers tonight are a good Black Sheep or Doom Bar. The other night it was Black Sheep only. So not a great beer place.

The Plough is still shut of course and, rather like a footballer on the bench while the team underperforms, becomes better in retrospect. It could be a great beer-lovers place if it ever reopens. A 'proper pub'. I hope so. Crosspool needs one.

Edited by Bilge

Guest makapaka
I thought I would review the pubs of Crosspool starting today and we can edit this guide as, hopefully, things improve. Based on tonight here is the current chart:

1. Sportsman

2. Crosspool Tavern

3. Plough (actually it's disqualified as it's currently shut, but hopefully it's due to reopen soon)

Compared to the pubs of neighbouring Crookes/Crookesmoor or Ranmoor/Nether Green or Broomhill, the 2 in Crosspool are frankly not great. But that's suburbia for you I guess.

The Sportsman is actually pretty good now for what it is. It's been refurbished to a good standard and it does what it does (Ember Inns eating place) very well. Jaipur on hand pump (£2.50 on a Monday, £3.70 otherwise) and a few others which seem OK.

Crosspool Tavern is a fairly tired carvery/cheapo meals place. It's due a refurb. Beers tonight are a good Black Sheep or Doom Bar. The other night it was Black Sheep only. So not a great beer place.

The Plough is still shut of course and, rather like a footballer on the bench while the team underperforms, becomes better in retrospect. It could be a great beer-lovers place if it ever reopens. A 'proper pub'. I hope so. Crosspool needs one.

I think Crosspool is crying out for a good drinking pub - that caters more for people going for a drink rather than food.

I think if someone took a chance - maybe on the empty Aligarh restaurant or similar selling decent beer / lagers it would do well.

If it had that people would tag the sportsman and tavern on to a bit of a beer circuit. I think the Plough could be ok - bit of a trek out of crosspool shops to there tho.

Agree re the Crosspool tavern - we sometimes go for the carvery but the last time I went in on a night it was quiet and didn't stop long.

The Sportsman could be great if they spruced it up a bit maybe in the style of the York in Broomhill or something - its a bit too much like a cinema lobby for me.

The Tavern has the best location of the 3 and wouldn't take much effort to make into a decent pub.

As a general rule, the only decent pubs nowadays tend to be "free-houses" I believe the ones in Crosspool are tied and as such you are stuck with their company ethos. A good example of a well run free-house is say the Wisewood Inn serving great food and an extensive range of quality beers priced well below that of a tied house. They can choose themselves what to sell rather than being dictated to by some pubco and you are unlikely to ever see mediocre offerings such as DoomBar on sale.

Guest makapaka
As a general rule, the only decent pubs nowadays tend to be "free-houses" I believe the ones in Crosspool are tied and as such you are stuck with their company ethos. A good example of a well run free-house is say the Wisewood Inn serving great food and an extensive range of quality beers priced well below that of a tied house. They can choose themselves what to sell rather than being dictated to by some pubco and you are unlikely to ever see mediocre offerings such as DoomBar on sale.

I agree to an extent but there are still decent tied pubs around elsewhere so it's not a full excuse.

I think Crosspool is crying out for a good drinking pub - that caters more for people going for a drink rather than food.

Was talking about Crosspool to a couple of owners of existing watering holes in the Walkey and Commonside area (including the outgoing manager of the Closed Shop).

General feeling coming through is though there is an awful lot of money in Crosspool people tend not to spend it going out to pubs.

Good luck to those trying to get the Plough sorted but it seems some folks were more driven by their desire to block Sainsbury's than their demand for a community pub.

Was talking about Crosspool to a couple of owners of existing watering holes in the Walkey and Commonside area (including the outgoing manager of the Closed Shop).

General feeling coming through is though there is an awful lot of money in Crosspool people tend not to spend it going out to pubs.

Good luck to those trying to get the Plough sorted but it seems some folks were more driven by their desire to block Sainsbury's than their demand for a community pub.

Someone is more than a bit wrong there!

The currently dreadful Tavern is closing for a full refurb in a few weeks.....Be better of knocking it down and starting again in my view.

It's chicken and egg though to an extent. If there were good pubs to spend money in then maybe the locals would use them. As long as I can remember there hasn't been one so people go elsewhere.

The Plough makes me laugh.

The locals didn't care for it one jot, yet now they are kicking up a fuss bout it.

#S10Culture

The locals didn't care for it one jot, yet now they are kicking up a fuss bout it.

#S10Culture

Exactly, locals in all areas want their pubs to stay open so they can go in once a year. If pubs were busy and supported by locals they would seldom shut down.

#S10Culture

Exactly, locals in all areas want their pubs to stay open so they can go in once a year. If pubs were busy and supported by locals they would seldom shut down.

Some sweeping comments there.from the all knowings.

Closing of pubs is much more than "people arent using them as in the past"

Turning pubs into flats, coops or whatever seems to be on the increase for various reasons. 21 pubs a week are closed down each week ..

The Broadfield among others was a dump for years until it was done up as a real ale house ...look at it now

Worth a Read

http://www.camra.org.uk/save-our-pubs-forum

I dislike and consequently don't drink English beer. Wish there was a bit more emphasis on wines in these kind of reviews.