Mental health services in Sheffield now halved

A few years ago Sheffield had four community mental health teams (CMHTs), 2 assertive outreach teams to support people who, because of their mental health, don't engage easily with mental health services, an Early Intervention Service to support people experiencing psychosis for the first time and a central crisis and home treatment team. They were spread across 6 bases in the city and comprised psychiatric nurses, mental health social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, occupational therapists and a small number of administrators.

So many posts have been cut since 2011 due to austerity that the people who are left now fit into 3 buildings and it has become almost impossibly difficult to get someone a mental health services. I know people who hear voices telling them to kill people and people who are so anxious they never leave their homes who no longer qualify for a service, simply because there is no-one left to support them.

It just makes me so angry I can't legally say what it makes me want to do.

I don't know what to say Bob apart from wishing you all the best and thanking you for bringing this to our attention.

I thought the Conservatives were going to put more funds into mental health? Have they gone the same way as Theresa May's promises to help the 'Just about managing...?'

They can't wave a wand and make a load of trained mental health professionals appear, and sure as sugarpuffs an awful lot of those left won't be back.

I saw the NHS a lot when my dad was ill. It wasn't great then, and he's been dead 4 years, I'm seeing it again up close and it's shocking now. The money required to put it straight - it's an unfathamable amount, I don't know where you'd start.

I don’t think it’s about waving a “magic wand”. It’s about training and recruiting the next and future generations of workers to fill the vacuum left by retiring workers and leaving the job, recruitment and retention.

The current govt are ideologically opposed to the NHS and Public Sector provision of anything irrespective of what they say, or what mealy mouthed excuses they give.

The elite who support the Toris and are represented by them don’t need the NHS they’ll have use of Private provision in Private hospitals. Ok, i’m sure they’ll use the NHS from time to time as Tory MPs love to tell us “ for instance i took my young son to A/E twice last year and what a great service we got, the NHS staff are superb”

The Tories want th3 NHS to fail

They can't wave a wand and make a load of trained mental health professionals appear, and sure as sugarpuffs an awful lot of those left won't be back.

I saw the NHS a lot when my dad was ill. It wasn't great then, and he's been dead 4 years, I'm seeing it again up close and it's shocking now. The money required to put it straight - it's an unfathamable amount, I don't know where you'd start.

Just to be clear, it's not that there is a skill shortage, it's that the jobs had to be cut because council budgets have been cut (social workers and some managers are employed by the council) and because of savings demanded by the NHS because it's underfunded. It's a direct result of austerity. Also, although more money was made available for mental health it wasn't ring fenced so got spent on physical health care instead, so the Sheffield Clinical Commissioning Group is also at fault.

The tories have been running it down since they gained power.

They're still in the process of selling off bits and pieces, but the more they can force it into failure, the easier it is to sell the story that as a public service it doesn't work and it must be run privately, by companies that their chums own.

I wonder how much the NHS suffers from the Carillion effect?

How much is now outsourced to privatised companies, which are ripping off the NHS with the rising prices of punitive, greedy contracts? Where's the transparency so we know what's going on?

Something is going very wrong somewhere...

I wonder how much the NHS suffers from the Carillion effect?

How much is now outsourced to privatised companies, which are ripping off the NHS with the rising prices of punitive, greedy contracts? Where's the transparency so we know what's going on?

Something is going very wrong somewhere...

Wrong thread!

Edited by tinfoilhat
Wrong thread!

Wrong thread!

But 100% accurate, sadly.

No, it’s not good, and no, it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest

Wrong thread!

I was asking what's happened to all the 'extra' money the Tories are always telling us they are putting into the NHS.

There's no improvement so what's happening to it? Where's the transparency, or is much of it going into privatised fat cat's pockets?