King edwards VII school.

I wish I'd been there..:P.Here is a report on the "Flour Bomb Incident" from the book Tha'll never gerr in theer (ISBN 0 9526484 0 7).

Does anyone remember the King Edward V11 prize-giving flour incident in 1974 (I think). Where, the black-gowned teachers were covered in flour that dropped from the ceiling midway through the end-of year prize-giving. It was a sight to behold and they kept us behind, until the culprit(s) came forward and admitted to having done it. I don't think that anyone did come forward, but eventually the kids were let home.:D

Yes, I remember it well - I was there! We all sat in the hall with eyes looking upwards wondering if the rumours might be true.

When they eventually let us go, they asked anyone who knew more about it to leave a note in the "headmasters box". The next day that historic box had disappeared! We also lost our customary special day's holiday, but I think the experience was probably worth it. I understand that the person largely responsible died young in a motorbike accident but I didn't know him.

After I posted the thread, I got talking to a friend in Sheffield and he said that aa national radio broadcast in the morning, had a spot where people could admit to things (usually romantic stuff) and 'surprise surprise' somebody admitted to being the culprit! But I'm still non the wiser about who it actually was. I'd not heard about the headmaster's box being nicked though. Mr Sharrock must have gone ballistic when he found it missing... too much :rolleyes:

After I posted the thread, I got talking to a friend in Sheffield and he said that aa national radio broadcast in the morning, had a spot where people could admit to things (usually romantic stuff) and 'surprise surprise' somebody admitted to being the culprit! But I'm still non the wiser about who it actually was. I'd not heard about the headmaster's box being nicked though. Mr Sharrock must have gone ballistic when he found it missing... too much :rolleyes:

According to the link provided by Hillsbro above, which is from a book on the history of the school, the culprit was Phil Beet - but I didn't know him.

thanks for that, I've always wondered if it might hve been someone that I knew, now I know that it wasn't.

thanks for that, I've always wondered if it might hve been someone that I knew, now I know that it wasn't.

No problem. I was there from 1968-75, when were you there?

King Edward VII school Glossop Road ‘64-‘65

Any memories?

Mr G W Taylor "guts", was a very nice chap.

---------- Post added 29-06-2018 at 18:16 ----------

Interesting to know which Primary School we attended before KES. I went to Lydgate Lane and I think there were thirteen of us that passed the eleven plus and went to KES. I now have a challenge in trying to remember the other twelve who I have not seen for nearly 45 years. I may be a while....

---------- Post added 06-10-2013 at 00:20 ----------

Yes, it was a Communist candidate that won. No idea of his name but it was very rebellious of us to elect such a candidate.

---------- Post added 06-10-2013 at 00:26 ----------

Hi RichardB - the deaths index shows a Mark Neil Baker who died in March 1970, aged 17. His father would have been Dr Percy Baker, who I think was killed along with his wife Gladys in the Dan-Air Flight 1008 crash at Tenerife in 1980.

I wish I hadn't read that! I just cannot imagine the trauma the family must have suffered. Thanks though to Hillsbro once again for thorough research.

He was known as Mini Baker, if memory serves.

According to the link provided by Hillsbro above, which is from a book on the history of the school, the culprit was Phil Beet - but I didn't know him.

http://oldedwardians.org.uk/nlc/photos/67.1(4).html

It was indeed Phil Beet, 3rd row up, 4th from the left, hovering above Slug's right shoulder

I've just managed to get back on to this forum, which excluded me after I'd had a new computer installed and wouldn't let me back in until now. I've done me time and have enjoyed catching up with (or, in modern parlance, on) these fascinating reminiscences of King Ted's.

Regarding nicknames, Mr. Bridgewater was known as "Ponto". I didn't know why until my French vocabulary had expanded a bit. It was, I think, a most inspired nickname. (For non-francophones, "pont" = bridge and "eau" = water).

I am intrigued to read that one member of staff ended up in prison. Who, and why?

There are mentions, earlier in the thread, of train-spotting. I was an ardent adherent of this greatly enjoyable, if perhaps pointless, hobby and, with a band of boon companions including Malcolm Jermy, ? Bradbury and Jon Haworth, would shuttle back and forth between the Midland and Victoria stations on a Saturday morning, occasionally catching a train to Doncaster where a different selection of engines could be seen.

I've long since lost touch with two of those boys, but Jon Haworth has remained a lifelong friend. After practising at the Bar for some time, he spent 20 years as a Crown Court judge, a position from which he retired at the end of 2016 - since when, he and I have taken leave of absence from our wives for a few days each summer to visit steam railways in France! Plus ca change....

Athy,

Re the staff criminal, I’m not sure if it’s a fact that I have dragged from the back of my mind, or if it’s something that I just want to be true, but my money is on a certain RE teacher who had a liking for using the cane, including on me. I prefer not to name him in case he is still alive and comes to get me, but I think most pupils in the early 60’s will know who I mean.

Athy,

Re the staff criminal, I’m not sure if it’s a fact that I have dragged from the back of my mind, or if it’s something that I just want to be true, but my money is on a certain RE teacher who had a liking for using the cane, including on me. I prefer not to name him in case he is still alive and comes to get me, but I think most pupils in the early 60’s will know who I mean.

Thanks for your swift reply! The only Scripture (as it was then known) teacher I remember was V.A. "Eli" Vout who was a rather unsmiling man, though I don't remember him as a sadist. He passed away a couple of years ago I think.

No, not Eli. He was my form teacher and I quite liked him.