Flying to N.Z.hints

Renting a camper/motorhome and driving around seeing the country is a popular choice.

Long flights are dull. Stopovers are good as long as you stay for a while. 1 or 2 day stopovers don't work as you just give yourself a couple of extra days of Jetlag. We try to do 4+ nights for a stopover or fly with no stopover. The latter is actually easier and makes you arrive much less jetlagged but it is extremely dull, and you don't see any extra countries and cultures.

I tend to take extra socks, a decent blanket, touthbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, a kindle with lots of books on it and some sort of pillow... Normal neck pillows are useless but there are some more expensive ones that are really good. Most of this was standard kit on long haul flights until a year or 2 ago. Check with your airline to see what you get so you don't duplicate.

I’m looking at going for around a month and I’m keen to see lots of the scenery and wildlife and also do some adventure sports.

If you are going to do both islands then I would recommend a month or more. I did both islands in 3 and half weeks. Although I got to see and do the things I wanted to, I did feel I was a bit rushed.

I drove a camper whilst over there and covered over 3000 miles in that time. I think NZ (both islands combined) are about the same size of the UK (give or take), however be wary that the majority of highways over there are like our B roads. They are long and windy, often following the path of least resistance – therefore expect even short journeys to take considerably longer than they would here. That said…

… I would definitely recommend hiring a camper as your mode of travel/accommodation. First of all the roads in NZ are a drivers dream. Hardly any traffic outside the major populated towns/cities, long and windy with amazing scenery around every corner. It never felt like a chore to me. With the camper you get to see all this whilst doing things your own way. Secondly, the campsites in NZ are pretty good. They are clean, tidy and well equipped. Facilities wise, most sites usually provide kitchen areas/sitting rooms with TV/shower facilities and WIFI - and they are inexpensive too. Note: there are two kinds of campsite in NZ; government run (which are often found in national parks) these tend to be very basic and then you have the privately run sites, which as I said above are well equipped.

Here are a few places I visit that I think you may like (going on what you said your preferences were).

North Island

Auckland. The best thing about Auckland was the ferry/boat rides out to the surrounding islands. Get the ferry over to Devonport and walk the promenade and grab some fish and chips NZ style.

Bay of Islands. Lots of natural forests and waterfalls to see. Try and get a boat out to the surrounding islands – you might catch a glimpse of a dolphin or two.

Cape Reinga. Totally isolated northern point of NZ. Great scenes and total isolation. En route visit the massive sand dunes and try your hand a body boarding them.

Coromandel. Notable Hot water beach (dig your own hot tub in the beach, which is fed by water heated from volcanic activity) and cathedral cove (coastal walk with some great rock formations). Coromandel is stunning and worth a visit even if it is a bit out on a limb.

Tongariro National Park. I think this was mount doom in LoTR. Anyhow, get your walking clobber on and tackle the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.

Matamata. Nothing there except farms and lots of sheep… oh, and the Hobbit village film set from LoTR.

Not limited to, so if there is anything else about the north island you would like to know, just ask.

Get the ferry from Wellington down to Picton on the South Island. Your camper company might pre-book your crossing at the time of booking. I booked with Mighty and they sorted my ferry crossing.

I will be back to give you some ideas about the South Island (my favourite of the two) later.

If you are going to do both islands then I would recommend a month or more. I did both islands in 3 and half weeks. Although I got to see and do the things I wanted to, I did feel I was a bit rushed.

I drove a camper whilst over there and covered over 3000 miles in that time. I think NZ (both islands combined) are about the same size of the UK (give or take), however be wary that the majority of highways over there are like our B roads. They are long and windy, often following the path of least resistance – therefore expect even short journeys to take considerably longer than they would here. That said…

… I would definitely recommend hiring a camper as your mode of travel/accommodation. First of all the roads in NZ are a drivers dream. Hardly any traffic outside the major populated towns/cities, long and windy with amazing scenery around every corner. It never felt like a chore to me. With the camper you get to see all this whilst doing things your own way. Secondly, the campsites in NZ are pretty good. They are clean, tidy and well equipped. Facilities wise, most sites usually provide kitchen areas/sitting rooms with TV/shower facilities and WIFI - and they are inexpensive too. Note: there are two kinds of campsite in NZ; government run (which are often found in national parks) these tend to be very basic and then you have the privately run sites, which as I said above are well equipped.

Here are a few places I visit that I think you may like (going on what you said your preferences were).

North Island

Auckland. The best thing about Auckland was the ferry/boat rides out to the surrounding islands. Get the ferry over to Devonport and walk the promenade and grab some fish and chips NZ style.

Bay of Islands. Lots of natural forests and waterfalls to see. Try and get a boat out to the surrounding islands – you might catch a glimpse of a dolphin or two.

Cape Reinga. Totally isolated northern point of NZ. Great scenes and total isolation. En route visit the massive sand dunes and try your hand a body boarding them.

Coromandel. Notable Hot water beach (dig your own hot tub in the beach, which is fed by water heated from volcanic activity) and cathedral cove (coastal walk with some great rock formations). Coromandel is stunning and worth a visit even if it is a bit out on a limb.

Tongariro National Park. I think this was mount doom in LoTR. Anyhow, get your walking clobber on and tackle the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.

Matamata. Nothing there except farms and lots of sheep… oh, and the Hobbit village film set from LoTR.

Not limited to, so if there is anything else about the north island you would like to know, just ask.

Get the ferry from Wellington down to Picton on the South Island. Your camper company might pre-book your crossing at the time of booking. I booked with Mighty and they sorted my ferry crossing.

I will be back to give you some ideas about the South Island (my favourite of the two) later.

That’s really helpful, thank you!