The azena ballroom gleadless sheffield.

I recall as a kid in the 70's & 80's playing around the abandoned Azena hall before Kwiksave was built. Strange that I recall it being a green metal building, but obviously looking at the photos above, it wasn't! It seems to be the exact same building as stands today, only its now clad with metal panels?

I can remember Mrs Fidler walking the estate knocking on doors (including ours) collecting the ground rent off everyone each year. If we weren't in I would later go with my dad to their bungalow behind the Azena to hand the money over.

Edited by WarPig

I may or may not have climbed in the toilet window the night the Beetles played the Azena.. :)

I used to go to the Azena regularly in the early 60`s and saw the Beatles there

Hi

I own the Baby Grand piano that was owned then by Zena. Do you recall seeing John Lennon playing it?

Azena here !!..............http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s29052&pos=10&action=zoom&id=91110

And here................http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s29051&action=zoom&pos=9&id=91109&continueUrl=

Picture Sheffield got the Azena photos right but not the Beatles info. The Beatles first Shefffield appearance was at the City Hall on March 16th. 1963 on the Helen Shapiro tour. They played the Azena on April 2nd.

Red Lion at Townend has a picture on its wall in tap room of Azena

Hi

Yes I saw that recently.

My Dad Keith Mitchell owned the insurance Brokers opposite called K.E Mitchell &Son insurance brokers. Me been the son and now owned by Swintons.

My Dad knew Zena and played there his self as a great pionist, that’s where the Challen Piano came from. Would love to see John Lennon playing it if anyone has photos.