Whatever became of Steadfast Tools (screwdrivers?

Spear & Jackson is still going on a much smaller scale, i dont know what they make these days.

According to their web-site just about what they always made, perhaps with a few more name brands. The current premises are not far from where they used to be -Greystocks Street/Sutherland Street- at Atlas Way, which is between Brightside Lane and Carlisle Street East.

Hi Stuart! Came across this by chance, hope you are well, and also that Philip ended up owning half the Pyrenees. I'm sure I started doing the product photography and catalogues, and some packaging related product design, for Steadfast when Philip and you were working together. The photo here is a small, A5, catalogue cover and I can't date it now, probably 1986. The whole catalogue was produced a way we had never attempted before, using a 1m square plate glass sheet suspended over a white field and the technical camera mounted on a roofbeam looking down - every page with the tools arranged precisely for a single shot. The same glass table was used with some then-unusual holographic foil for the cover.

http://www.pbase.com/davidkilpatrick/image/166862768/large.jpg

After we moved to Scotland in 1988, I continued to produce leaflets and marketing photographs until Steadfast changed hands. We had a range of the tools, to be able to produce whatever photographs were needed and needless to say they remain in good service 30 years. I think the concreter's end cutters were stolen by an enforcer for the Scottish mafia... apart from the hacksaw blades, not a single one has ever broken and the through-tang huge screwdrivers have demolished buildings and lifted manhole covers.

I never found any kind of replacement business in this line in Scotland - we had already become publishers with a worldwide readership, and that grew. But I still miss the work with manufacturers and engineers, and Sheffield!

Alarming Mark

What was your dads name, I was there in the Production Control Office 1959 - 1963 with Ray Walker. George Rogers was Works Manager but replaced in 1972 by a Balfours guy called Don Waterhouse

The guy who was foreman of your dads section then was Tom ???? tall guy I recall

Victor Hutchinson - Malaysia