Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

Usually a reasonable beer range at the Alehouse on Fraser Road near Sainsburys.

Not been in for ages. They used to be a bit heavy on the Saltaire brewery ales when it first opened. And the Landlord was a bit of an acquired taste. I thought the place was a bit depressing tbh - but I can put up with those things if the beer is good. Thanks for reminding us about that - I may just have another look, in pursuit of a strong IPA on cask. Something that seems increasingly hard to find of late! (By strong, I'm talking 6% upwards).

Not been in for ages. They used to be a bit heavy on the Saltaire brewery ales when it first opened. And the Landlord was a bit of an acquired taste. I thought the place was a bit depressing tbh - but I can put up with those things if the beer is good. Thanks for reminding us about that - I may just have another look, in pursuit of a strong IPA on cask. Something that seems increasingly hard to find of late! (By strong, I'm talking 6% upwards).

Been in a couple of times lately and it`s improved. Different owner now. Beers varied more. Think they have Dark Star Green Hopped at the mo, maybe. And Hawkshead on the way.

I will give another chance to this place.

I will give another chance to this place.

Thank you kind Sir. Magnanimous of you. Ask for me when you come in. The name's Ralph. I'll see that you leave happy.

Well, we went in a family group last weekend, 4 adults and 3 little ones. Really good food and the walk-in and sit in the bar area was a popular one, especially with dog owners. Great food (I had a seitan burger) and everyone was happy with their options. Attentive staff. I chose not to drink though. Quite a few options but nothing to excite my fussy tastes....

Well, we went in a family group last weekend, 4 adults and 3 little ones. Really good food and the walk-in and sit in the bar area was a popular one, especially with dog owners. Great food (I had a seitan burger) and everyone was happy with their options. Attentive staff. I chose not to drink though. Quite a few options but nothing to excite my fussy tastes....

Are we still talking about the Alehouse on Fraser Road, or have we reverted back to the thread title, Wagon and Horses at Millhouses?

Let's talk about the Wagon and Horses at Millhouses anyway because that's what this thread is supposed to be about...

We had a meal there 2 weeks ago. We didn't actually go with the intention of eating, but we thought we'd give it a try as the menu looked quite nice and reasonably priced.

I thought the drinks selection was good at the bar. A few decent cask ales and more on keg. Some nice gins too.

I think they've done a very nice job of the refurb. First time I've been in there for years tbh. At one end they'd got families with kiddies enjoying themselves - a bit noisy for a saturday night, but it wasn't late when we went in and I know, as a parent, how difficult it is to find a pub that will welcome you with children, so we actually thought it was nice that they offer this. Not that our offspring are children anymore, but it seemed to be very welcoming for families and we appreciated that.

I thought the restaurant area was really nicely done out - comfortable seating and nicely lit.

We had some kind of jalapeno/corn/chilli/cheese type thing for starters. It was quite nice actually, a little bit dry perhaps, but we quite enjoyed it. But oh dear...the main course...not good! Steak and Kidney pudding is one of my favourite dishes - but I kind of suspected something was wrong when it came served the wrong way up on my plate - it looked more like a pie! And it was barely edible tbh. Rock hard. I mean, steak and kidney pudding is supposed to be soft and squidgy suet pastry - it was really poor and to be fair to the guys there they were extremely obliging and offered to take it off the bill, which was appreciated. But, it was still very disappointing because I so much looked forward to this and ended up going home hungry!

My missus had a burger and the burger was fine, but the bread roll that it came served in I can only describe it as looking like one of those little breakfast pancakes, you know the ones that are a bit like pikelets that you grill and put butter or syrup on? I mean, they must have microwaved it or something, but it was literally just flattened and curled up at the edges.

I wouldn't go for a meal there again. I may pop in for a pint - but then again, there are pubs not so far from there with a much bigger selection.

It was disappointing considering its the same company (I think?) as the Broadfield - and I've never had anything other than good food at the Broadfield.

I don't know if they'd got some young kid on in the kitchen that night who didn't have a clue what they were doing, but it seemed like it tbh.

Are we still talking about the Alehouse on Fraser Road, or have we reverted back to the thread title, Wagon and Horses at Millhouses?

Let's talk about the Wagon and Horses at Millhouses anyway because that's what this thread is supposed to be about...

We had a meal there 2 weeks ago. We didn't actually go with the intention of eating, but we thought we'd give it a try as the menu looked quite nice and reasonably priced.

I thought the drinks selection was good at the bar. A few decent cask ales and more on keg. Some nice gins too.

I think they've done a very nice job of the refurb. First time I've been in there for years tbh. At one end they'd got families with kiddies enjoying themselves - a bit noisy for a saturday night, but it wasn't late when we went in and I know, as a parent, how difficult it is to find a pub that will welcome you with children, so we actually thought it was nice that they offer this. Not that our offspring are children anymore, but it seemed to be very welcoming for families and we appreciated that.

I thought the restaurant area was really nicely done out - comfortable seating and nicely lit.

We had some kind of jalapeno/corn/chilli/cheese type thing for starters. It was quite nice actually, a little bit dry perhaps, but we quite enjoyed it. But oh dear...the main course...not good! Steak and Kidney pudding is one of my favourite dishes - but I kind of suspected something was wrong when it came served the wrong way up on my plate - it looked more like a pie! And it was barely edible tbh. Rock hard. I mean, steak and kidney pudding is supposed to be soft and squidgy suet pastry - it was really poor and to be fair to the guys there they were extremely obliging and offered to take it off the bill, which was appreciated. But, it was still very disappointing because I so much looked forward to this and ended up going home hungry!

My missus had a burger and the burger was fine, but the bread roll that it came served in I can only describe it as looking like one of those little breakfast pancakes, you know the ones that are a bit like pikelets that you grill and put butter or syrup on? I mean, they must have microwaved it or something, but it was literally just flattened and curled up at the edges.

I wouldn't go for a meal there again. I may pop in for a pint - but then again, there are pubs not so far from there with a much bigger selection.

It was disappointing considering its the same company (I think?) as the Broadfield - and I've never had anything other than good food at the Broadfield.

I don't know if they'd got some young kid on in the kitchen that night who didn't have a clue what they were doing, but it seemed like it tbh.

Be honest though Derby. Did you say 'Arrrrr much' when you got the bill? Sorry couldn't resist, it's your catchphrase now! :hihi:

Yes, I was talking about Waggon; unlikely to get a seitan - based dish in Ale House.... Sorry to hear your meal was not good.

Called in Sat,big disappointment with the ales,had 1 and left.

Called in Sat,big disappointment with the ales,had 1 and left.

Why was that? Quality or Choice ?

Why was that? Quality or Choice ?

Last time I went, i opted to be designated driver. Being very fussy, there was nothing I really wanted to drink which is unusual in a True North pub. They do say that they`re trying to add in different stuff but the take up hasn`t been great.

---------- Post added 19-01-2018 at 08:21 ----------

They have assured me that beer is about to step up a level; Verdant and the like on the way!

The latest company to run the Waggon & Horses at Millhouses, True North, want to rent, presumably from SCC, a parcel of land to the side of the pub, to the right of the entrance to Millhouses Park, to use as fenced off beer garden.

They have offered to pay an annual sum of £20,000 & a one off of £25,000 for playground equipment for a piece of land they say is little used.

Personally, I think things should remain as they are. The pub could perhaps use part of their car as a beer garden, the pub is afterall on a good bus route & to start leasing bits of Sheffield parkland to private businesses, would start a precedent.

If there's a market for sitting out drinking in the park's surroundings, maybe Millhouses Café should apply for a alcohol licence?