Gardeners Rest - Neepsend

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/gardeners-rest-regulars-launch-100-000-appeal-to-buy-their-pub-1-8177254

Sheffield pub regulars are trying to raise at least £100,000 to buy their local.

"Eddy Munnelly and Pat Wilson, landlord and landlady of the Gardeners Rest in Neepsend, plan to pull their last pints in the near future.

The aim is to raise at least £100,000 by November 28. People can contribute as little as £100 or as much as £20,000 – but everyone who pays in gets the same voting rights in the new Gardeners Rest Community Society."

I've invested in this. Sounds like a great idea to save some of Sheffield's great local pubs! They've done a great video to advertise the campaign.

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/gardenersrest/

Very interesting. Might put a few bob in. Doesn't seem a long time to reach the target though.

My village pub closed down a couple of years ago - run down after lack of investment by brewery. It was sad to see it boarded up. We fought off developers who wanted to turn it into apartments, got it listed as an Asset of Community Value, and raised the funds to buy it - made up of 3 or 4 larger investors and then whatever else anyone could afford to chip in. It was decided not to run it as a community pub but was sold on to a known and highly rated young restaurateur. We celebrated its first successful year last Friday. So it can be done. Good luck.

Is that prospectus actually a legal share offer?

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/uploads/communityshares/gardenersrest/gardeners_rest_sod_updated.pdf

It seems a worthy cause and 5% interest might be a good return, but they don't even state the term the interest. Is that 5% per year or 5% over 5 years?

I'd also be concerned that everyone has equal voting rights. How does that work?

Hi Nagel,

The 5% is paid on you withdrawing your money from the society, and the equal voting rights are just that, I've put x hundred in and I get the same voting rights at the AGM as another other share holder, irrespective of how much they've put it, So this isn't a commercial venture, it's about charity, It's about creating a space where people with learning difficulties can get employment experience, but most of all, it's about saving a much loved pub. If anyone is interested, just contact us on our facebook or twitter accounts (both on the crowdfunder link), you can also see a great video that shows off the gardeners rest and shows what we're trying to save!

...and coming up for air... finally, yes the prospectus is entirely legal. The Gardeners Rest Community Society is a legal entity with a bank account, it's registered as:

A Community Benefit Society registered by

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA): Registration number: 7393

Pop down, experience the pub and if interested, invest! Remember, it's for charity!!!

P.S. Mark, one of our group, will be at the Gardeners Rest on Tuesday evening doing a question and answer session for anyone that's interested in owning part of a pub.

Hi,

That's a brilliant link, I had no idea Sheffield beer was so famous! Thanks. As for the viability of the Gardeners Rest, yes: the pub is viable. It's not up for sale because profits are down, it's up for sale because the current owners wish to retire. If you look at our business case that's also on the link (crowdfunder.co.uk/gardenersrest/?), you can see that beer sales for this spring against last are up by 7%. The area is quickly changing and the demographic of the pub is also changing. We're sure the business isn't just viable, but that it's positivly profitable.

Thanks for showing an interest!

Looking at having a punt on this

Looks interesting.

When I drop off there or pass the [river] bridge on Rutland Road, I wonder how long until that side of the bridge is more flats. Could be very successful in the future, when the space around Kelham Island is used up. Especially being on the river, which is becoming a popular choice to live.

(at the very least I hope it doesn't close down, even though I've never been in)

Edited by *_ash_*

Hi Nagel,

The 5% is paid on you withdrawing your money from the society, and the equal voting rights are just that, I've put x hundred in and I get the same voting rights at the AGM as another other share holder, irrespective of how much they've put it, So this isn't a commercial venture, it's about charity, It's about creating a space where people with learning difficulties can get employment experience, but most of all, it's about saving a much loved pub. If anyone is interested, just contact us on our facebook or twitter accounts (both on the crowdfunder link), you can also see a great video that shows off the gardeners rest and shows what we're trying to save!

...and coming up for air... finally, yes the prospectus is entirely legal. The Gardeners Rest Community Society is a legal entity with a bank account, it's registered as:

A Community Benefit Society registered by

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA): Registration number: 7393

Pop down, experience the pub and if interested, invest! Remember, it's for charity!!!

P.S. Mark, one of our group, will be at the Gardeners Rest on Tuesday evening doing a question and answer session for anyone that's interested in owning part of a pub.

Is that Tomorrow or the Tuesday after?

Edited by nikki-red
Quote tags

Is that Tomorrow or the Tuesday after?

Their facebook page says tomorrow night at 8:00

I go through Neepsend often, and its obviously primed for development. The old Cannon Brewery looks like a bomb hit it.

Yes, it's tomorrow, the 18th. Come down, get to know us and the pub!