Sheaf Quays. A ghost town. WHY?

Yesterday the sun was shining and we went down to take a look at Sheaf Quays.

Millions was spent refurbing this area but it was deserted. There wasn't a soul about and we were the only customers at the coffee shop.

It's very sad. You can't imagine any business being sustainable down there.

I can only imagine it is the lack of affordable parking. I noticed that a car park across the road has been transformed into a field of grass. Why?

Is this the old canal basin area? Beautiful redevelopment but it's way too far from the centre of the city with any activity (especially now the markets are gone), made worse by the busy roads surrounding it.

Sadly another city centre attraction that can't come to fruition because of the city's design (other cities have embraced waterside developments and seen the tourists flock in).

Is this the old canal basin area? Beautiful redevelopment but it's way too far from the centre of the city with any activity (especially now the markets are gone), made worse by the busy roads surrounding it.

Sadly another city centre attraction that can't come to fruition because of the city's design (other cities have embraced waterside developments and seen the tourists flock in).

Yet I go to the Barrel at Bretton. There isn't another building for miles and the place is always packed. The difference of course is the pub has loads of places where visitors can park. I'm sure if they dug up their car parking area to make a lawn things would be different.

I love the Barrel. Nothing finer than sat on the edge of the hill admiring the view with a pint in hand!

I fail to see why parking should be blamed, with the tram network the city has, it is easy enough to get to the city from most places.

But is there enough promotion of it? Lets say you're a tourist, or even a city centre office worker wanting to go somewhere nice for lunch. You're stood outside the cathedral. Is there enough promotion to get you to make that trek across town to get there?

But is there enough promotion of it? Lets say you're a tourist, or even a city centre office worker wanting to go somewhere nice for lunch. You're stood outside the cathedral. Is there enough promotion to get you to make that trek across town to get there?

I agree with that, the promotion of the area is very poor, as is most things regards Sheffield.

Could be a number of things. Primarily the basin does not attract boaters from other networks, it's a bit of a pig to get to and a bit of a pig to get out of as you are reliant on the lockie to be on duty (you can't come and go as you please as the water has to be pumped from the Don to fill the locks). On top of that the bar prices are a bit of a pee-take (boaters can be quite thirsty people) and also a lack of tourist information and of course, the old chestnut of car parking, not only that but it's not that easy to find by car.

Whilst it was a good idea to develop the basin to protect it, not a lot of thought went into promoting it and making it easier to get there. As far as I can see, the main boaters that moor there are live-aboards.

Guest makapaka

They need to make the access better for pedestrians. This will probably be helped when the old markets come down as the improvements should hopefully encourage people to walk there. At the minute you have to walk through haymarket, past old Market Tavern etc which is grim.

One of the biggest mistakes for me is the development around it. If you come down the parkway into Sheffield it's rights in front of you, but you cannot see an inch of water, due to the fact that the Nabarro Nathanson building seems almost purposely built to hide it!! Disastrous planning.

I think if you were approaching sheffield with the basin visible it would advertise the area much better, although there's not a lot that can be done about that now.

The Toby Foster Show on BBC highlighted that some of the council owned business properties there are empty but advertised with high rates etc, my thoughts would be for the council to relax these in the hope of someone taking a chance on a business down there. This might then create a domino effect.

Someone just needs to have a go and if the financial risk can be reduced it may happen.

its the ring road layout and getting to it, its not easy, there is no parking, no close by bus stop, its poorly (never) advertised, and typical of sheffield council lack of ideas and plans. sheffield council have spent many years and many millions trying their best to stop cars coming into the town centre and making it difficult to drive to anywhere, as in their utopia people dont have cars in town, buses only. hence the area will die a slow death.

I fail to see why parking should be blamed, with the tram network the city has, it is easy enough to get to the city from most places.

We walked from the tram stop at Fitzalan Square. By the time you have crossed the bridges I would think you've walked 500/600 metres by the time you get to the water. Uphill on the way back. If I had a load of kids with me I wouldn't be wanting to do that. Folks these days want to tip the family into the people carrier and park up within 100/200 meters. If not there are other places to go.

It is a real shame. The area has potential. Sadly now the marina is choked up with narrow boats for sale.

The cobbled area cries out for weekend activities and a car park for those attending. Beer festval?

It was busy enough when I was there yesterday afternoon. I don't want anyone else knowing about it. Might take me longer to get served at 1819. Looks like Emmaus is picking up trade as well.