Radio on buses..

I remember some time in the past, probably 20-30 years ago listening to music on a Sheffield bus.

Am i imagining it,or did they pilot such a scheme?

i remember something like that aswell. i at least though there was music coming from the cab at least years back when i cought buses, not sure if it was just a drivers personal radio i'm thinking of though

I was on a bus a few years back and the driver had the radio on, made the journey pass faster, but I suppose they can't meet everyone's tastes, so it wouldn't be feasible.

There has been a previous thread on this but can't find it... :( yes they did used to be a small number of buses with a radio fitted they was set to a certain station and could not be changed (until the drivers figured out how to open them up and adjust a screw inside that set the station) however this came to an abrupt end. Not sure why but i should imagine something to do with the music not been to everyone's taste and too many complaints about this.

Those were the day's, and those pics on the bus window with a hand and the bus in it, saying look after your bus...

Owts got to be better than chavs; listening to the crap they listen to on some buses

i remember something like that aswell. i at least though there was music coming from the cab at least years back when i cought buses, not sure if it was just a drivers personal radio i'm thinking of though

I'm sure the music came from a built in speaker downstairs near the ceiling.

There has been a previous thread on this but can't find it... :( yes they did used to be a small number of buses with a radio fitted they was set to a certain station and could not be changed (until the drivers figured out how to open them up and adjust a screw inside that set the station) however this came to an abrupt end. Not sure why but i should imagine something to do with the music not been to everyone's taste and too many complaints about this.

Wonder if it was radio hallam?

I'm sure the music came from a built in speaker downstairs near the ceiling.

If you look at some of the older buses, they have still got the speakers upstairs...

It was the early 1980's it wasnt radio it was sounds in motion it was a mixture of music and adverts , the aim was to get revenue in to subsidise the bus services it wasnt a extire success. People wernt happy at been spooon fed music and the maximum amount of advertising taken up was no where near the maximum allowed by law..

Note the radio SYT came latter but I cant recall that , the one mentioned above was in "brown and crem days"