Found bill/money in HSBC Woodseats

Hi there

Was in HSBC Woodseats earlier and when collecting my stuff to leave I noticed I had placed my bag on top of a piece of folded paper (a bill or letter of some sort), with what I think was 2 x £10 notes inside. I didn't have a good look but gave it to the cashier. Just a heads up in case anyone here is the person who lost it, or knows who is. I presume the person is an HSBC customer and will probably have been contacted but thought I may aswell post here in case not, or in case said person hasn't realised yet.

your a honest person,thumbs up to you

Ah well- wouldn't have nicked it anyway, would feel too bad but yes, to do so in a bank with cameras pointing at me and having them know exactly who I am would have been daft ;). I didn't read the bill but glimpsed it had name etc on it, guessing it will be easy enough to trace though. Otherwise, HSBC just made £20 :)

Seeing as the finder gets to keep it after 6 weeks, you may have been better advised to keep hold of it, give your contact details to the cashier and reported it by telephone to the police.

Then you could have given it, later, to your charity of choice.

What a thoughtfull person you are:)

My understanding was if something is found on private property, then you do not have to hand it in. Only if it is found on public property should it be handed it to the police. Many years ago an envelope was found in a shop that I worked in by the security guard. It contained around £1600 in cash. Dropped by I presume a customer earlier that day. We reported the find to the police by telephone. An officer came out and recorded the serial number of every banknote. He didn't take the money, it was left in our safe. He told us that he recorded the numbers as a record only so if someone contacted the police about it they could be directed to us. However, we didn't have to inform the police about it at all. We only did because it was such a large amount, this was back in 1992. No-one ever did contact us about it either.

Thumbs up for what? Not being a criminal?

Theft by finding is an offence and in a bank with lots of CCTV proving it would be very easy.

I guess I can say well done for not being an idiot and stealing the money.

Someone does something nice and honest and you still have to have a go. Why don't you keep it zipped?

Thumbs up for what? Not being a criminal?

Theft by finding is an offence and in a bank with lots of CCTV proving it would be very easy.

I guess I can say well done for not being an idiot and stealing the money.

If you haven't got anything positive to say to this thoughtful unselfish individual then don't speak at all you tool.

My understanding was if something is found on private property, then you do not have to hand it in. Only if it is found on public property should it be handed it to the police. Many years ago an envelope was found in a shop that I worked in by the security guard. It contained around £1600 in cash. Dropped by I presume a customer earlier that day. We reported the find to the police by telephone. An officer came out and recorded the serial number of every banknote. He didn't take the money, it was left in our safe. He told us that he recorded the numbers as a record only so if someone contacted the police about it they could be directed to us. However, we didn't have to inform the police about it at all. We only did because it was such a large amount, this was back in 1992. No-one ever did contact us about it either.

If you find it left on your own private property, but 'finding' things on other people's private property is usually called theft.

I think theft by finding applies on private property as well as public property:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8129534.stm

The bank I work for has a policy about cash found in branches. After a period of time (I can't remember how long) it is donated to charity if unclaimed. So handing it in was the right thing to do.

I remember once reading a news story about someone getting done for picking up a pound coin from the floor of a supermarket aisle.

i found a fiver the other day and spent it on 5 lotto tickets so the newsagents have the fiver :)