IT Industries in Sheffield

Hi! I am a researcher at the U of Sheffield who is looking for IT professionals in Sheffield. Do any forum members work in IT within the City and in what sector?

I am looking for more on the ground information about Sheffield's IT industries beyond what is advertised by the City Council or in the media. For example, what types of jobs are available in the IT sector here in Sheffield? Are any companies hiring or making employees redundant? What types of companies seem to have a lot of IT employees?

I would be happy to discuss it here on the forum or by private message.

Many thanks!

I always found Sheffield to be lacking in any good IT employment. It seemed to be focused more around Wakefield and Leeds, and the North West.

Have you looked for positions around Sheffield in the past, alchresearch? I know that the city has been trying to diversify into more creative and digital media industries like gaming and SMEs. Perhaps it's harder to attract and foster talent in Sheffield?

From what I've found, the U of Sheffield has the most IT employees in the city - I'm not entirely sure that's accurate however.

Yes, when I used to live here but that was ages ago now.

However, I still have friends in Sheffield and they see far more opportunities in IT in the "Jobs North West" paper than in South Yorkshire.

I think HSBC and Capita have a good number of IT related employees in the city, and there's the Dixons centre but whether you'd call that IT or call centre work I can't really say.

Hi, I am a freelance IT consultant in Sheffield and also work as a lecturer at Sheffield Hallam University. There are lots of companies in Sheffield who offer placements and internships to our computing students and also graduate employment when they finish their courses.

There is quite an active Creative and Digital sector in Sheffield including Games and Multimedia companies as well as established web development companies such as Technophobia and Quba Digital.

We also have Highlander IT in Sheffield who are a fairly large IT services company serving corporate clients. Sheffield Technology Park in the City Centre also houses a number of small to medium technology based businesses.

In addition I am a representative councillor for Barnsley and Rotherham Chamber who have several members in the IT industry (including Highlander) such as Bull IT and Kinspeed.

I cannot comment on the recruiting strategies for these companies but just thought it might be worth a post to confirm that yes Sheffield does have a very active IT sector.

HSBC and Capita are probably the biggest employers of IT staff in Sheffield. Although both have made job cuts over the last year or so.

BT has upwards of 100 "IT employees" in Sheffield. IT is a very broad field, so you might need to be a bit more specific.

There are also a number of IT Support companies in Sheffield - ResolveIT and Highlander to name two.

There are also a lot of IT resellers in Sheffield that have IT professionals working for them. Insight based in Attercliffe, currently have some vacent positions too.

Also Plusnet in the centre, there was a thread earlier inthe year regarding redcruitment there.

Sumo0 Digital have recently taken part in a big recruitment drive for the gaming industry recruiting programmers and other trades such as motion capture etc.

If anybody wishes to help the op with their research please do so via pm

closing.