Crosspool tavern

They'd just got back from a 1964 trip to Scarboro and expected to pay 1964 prices for a pint of ale.

Typical cotton wool wrapped society views here then ... Loads of scooter lads and lasses with English Pounds in their pockets to spend on pop and nuts etc ? and some upper class wannabee failure landlordlady turns them away ?? This is the time of pub closures because of the state of the economy and no smoking... ? No wonder they are going down the pan.... Gits... Shan't be stopping off there in a hurry then....

Took my mum there a few weeks ago and its gone down hill rapidly which is a shame.

we went in for a carvery a few weeks ago and it was lovely. Got a deal at about 7 quid for a carvery and drink. Made the mistake of going this Sunday. It was about £8 as it was a Sunday and the food wasn't good. we won't be bothering again.

Edited by fuddbrown
delete post

I worked at the Tavern for 12 yrs under managers Peter & Barbara Murry, Ray & Sheila Smithurst, Ian & Jill Mc

I have always said these were the happiest days of my life. We all knew we had to work hard & to the expected standard. The atmosphere was A1, something it no longer has. After our hard work had finished we would sit back & relax with a drink & supper, very often from a Take Away. Party nights were often held after work at each others homes, we had to make our work part of our social life working evenings. If i remember rightly Bass North was the brewery in the 70s & they knew how to choose good managers. Visiting the Tavern now is completely different, going back a couple of years we went for lunch, think it was a young student running the bar he was sat reading a paper on our arrival, while outside dirty pots were stood on all the tables covered in flies also ants. Giving it the benefit of doubt having been to a funeral a few month ago we called for lunch, had to use the gents toilets, ladies were being updated, not before time stunk for years, do they not have cleaners these days. Even the pub didn't look clean. The Tavern itself is a lovely building, lets see old standards back please & perhaps an extra cleaner. Rant over, cheers Celt.

Edited by celt

last time i had a coke in this pub it was almost clear looking,absolutley no taste whatsoever,so now i too will only have a drink out of a bottle in that pub