Shopping in Firth Park in the 60's/70's

Stan Barron was top drawer kind of guy . Should be proud of him has a father .Shop was great and like I have said earlier used it a lot .Once let me buy an album and pay for it over two weeks , no agreement just trust.

Arthur Edwards one of the 4 Edward brothers who was well known in Castle market and the old rag and tag opened a fruit shop in Firthpark on the corner of Bellhouse road and Sicey Ave. That was around 1966/7 I think,I knocked around with Arthurs son Mick and I used to sell flowers for Arthur outside from the shop. I really enjoyed it meeting the people and he always paid me well. Alan.

My cousin and I used to get boxes from the Firth Park shops and ride down the Donkey Hill in them!!. Memories of the bowling alley where they used to sell 'slush' and the pinball arcade there!

Same here!

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 14:37 ----------

we were talking about the shops in firth park the other day can anyone remember gordons chinese i think it would have been where the travel shop is now next to rons cards shop

I can.

He was a nice chap. Used to get some hassle from some of the kids, but me and my friends used to chat to him - my Mum loved his chicken and pineapple!

Hi Timbuck. The record shop was S. Barron & Co. There from 1953 to 1965 Stan Barron was my dad. He was a bit of a character with big moustache, Kids all called him Snudge. ( from TV program) Not only did he sell records but Tvs fridges etc. He used to have 6d in the slot TV. I was the first kid in the class who could count to 40 as I had to bag up all the 6ds before I could go out to play. There was a fantastic sweet shop up the alley to the left. Dad used to bring home a huge bag of goodies at the weekend. Just remembered Marty Kane used to sell records there as well.

Worked for Stan Barron in record bar lovely man best boss you could wish for.

What about Tom in Mortimer's army store next to Barron's

How sad it is to see Firth Park now how run down it looks and the awful shops when compared to the shops that used to be.I remember my Dad renting a tele from Barrons we thought we were posh having a tele not every one had one.Also Spencers Butchers who were a top quality outfit.Allens bike shop .Fredricks pork butchers,Kenyons toy shop,Snelsons,Watsons butchers,Wilds fish shop,Styans bakery,Shentalls groceries,Roses fruit and veg,all good quality shops .Also I remember the Paragon cinema and the Saturday matinee.The doctors on Firth park road Dr Pettigrew.Dr Pilling, and Mackenzie.Dr Pettigrew looked like something from Dickens she had her hair in plats around her head and half cut glasses on.Dr Pilling ended up being the coroner.

The Park was always kept immaculate not a flower out of place.It always looked so beautiful as did the traffic island where the tram would come rattling through the center .Bus service to Shiregreen were numbered 150 and 151 before they changed it to 47 and 48.Also the boating lake where I spent many hours playing with my boats it was such a beautiful part of the city .How painful to see it now where as the pride gone?

How sad it is to see Firth Park now how run down it looks and the awful shops when compared to the shops that used to be.I remember my Dad renting a tele from Barrons we thought we were posh having a tele not every one had one.Also Spencers Butchers who were a top quality outfit.Allens bike shop .Fredricks pork butchers,Kenyons toy shop,Snelsons,Watsons butchers,Wilds fish shop,Styans bakery,Shentalls groceries,Roses fruit and veg,all good quality shops .Also I remember the Paragon cinema and the Saturday matinee.The doctors on Firth park road Dr Pettigrew.Dr Pilling, and Mackenzie.Dr Pettigrew looked like something from Dickens she had her hair in plats around her head and half cut glasses on.Dr Pilling ended up being the coroner.

The Park was always kept immaculate not a flower out of place.It always looked so beautiful as did the traffic island where the tram would come rattling through the center .Bus service to Shiregreen were numbered 150 and 151 before they changed it to 47 and 48.Also the boating lake where I spent many hours playing with my boats it was such a beautiful part of the city .How painful to see it now where as the pride gone?

I remember Styans Bakery shop - I had one relation who when she saw me always used to say "Last time I saw you you were looking in the window at Styans."

My great auntie Rosie used to keep an off-licence, just about opposite Styans, but I can't remember what it was called. I do remember as a 5 year old setting off a soda fountain there.

Used to go to the Paragon on Saturday mornings.

Hi

I remember those shops too, my nan live at Shiregreen so would go to the shops with her in Firth Park, there was a Fine Fare in Attercliffe also which my mum worked at. My Grandad would go for a drink at the Sicey Hotel

Hi

I remember those shops too, my nan live at Shiregreen so would go to the shops with her in Firth Park, there was a Fine Fare in Attercliffe also which my mum worked at. My Grandad would go for a drink at the Sicey Hotel

Yes I used to go to the sicey on Thursday nights always a live group on plus a fight .

the cycle shop was john allens fruit shops was roses wilsons paper shop was camms fish a chip shop was stringers the litte house window tophams bishop sweet shop

i could name plenty more i lived on bevercotes at that time

That's very interesting information. Camms I do recall as selling British Rail tickets. On the far side of the roundabout, there was an electrical shop selling records but cannot recall its name. No idea really but Barron's sticks in my mind.

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 16:04 ----------

What about Tom in Mortimer's army store next to Barron's

Yes--it WAS Barrons.

Now there was another shop selling records halfway up Bellhouse Rd opposite Kenyons. On the first floor. Seem to recall the ground floor being furniture.

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 16:08 ----------

That's very interesting information. Camms I do recall as selling British Rail tickets. On the far side of the roundabout, there was an electrical shop selling records but cannot recall its name. No idea really but Barron's sticks in my mind.

---------- Post added 27-07-2018 at 16:04 ----------

Yes--it WAS Barrons.

Now there was another shop selling records halfway up Bellhouse Rd opposite Kenyons. On the first floor. Seem to recall the ground floor being furniture.

I looked backwards and saw a post from a family descendant of Mr Barron, his son I think. Thanks for all the information about the shops and the doctor's surgery and the GPs there. Mackenzie treated me as a child, then Pilling, and Pettigrew my mother although was there a Ridgeway who would have treated my father in the 1960s, late in the decade I wonder?

QUOTE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes that was Snelsons. As you recall, records on the first floor, but it was TV rental, washing machines etc on the ground floor. I worked there after leaving school in 1963.

QUOTE.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes that was Snelsons. As you recall, records on the first floor, but it was TV rental, washing machines etc on the ground floor. I worked there after leaving school in 1963.

Yes, many thanks, Snelson's. It was very strange that domestic appliances were on the ground floor, and, going up the stairs, pinned to the wall, were record sleeves, with room for quite a few because they were mainly from small EPs!