Pitsmoor in the 60s

Hello brecklands sent you a private mail. Alan.

love reading all of this stuff.i lived on nottinghham st in the50s - 60s. went to pye bank school then burngreave.does anyone know john biggins that lived on ellesmere road ?loved my childhood .went to visit the area a while ago hardly recognised the area .half of nottingham wasnt ther .i lived opposite the co-op and police box

yes philip lives on the Lansdowne estate in sheffield.I remember a few of the names mentioned .Loved my childhood years .when i visited a while ago the bottom half of nottingham st didnt exist . we lived at 70 nottingham st.

Hi Pauline, I've not seen you or Philip for many many yrs. must be over 40 yrs. now. I often wonder about my old school mates, and how they are doing. Philip was in my class at Pye Bank, and Burngreave, we "knocked about" with each other in the evenings and weekends, then we left school, the area got redeveloped people moved away and contact get's lost. I would love to meet up with him again for a good chin wag. we could talk for hours..

Hi Pauline, I've not seen you or Philip for many many yrs. must be over 40 yrs. now. I often wonder about my old school mates, and how they are doing. Philip was in my class at Pye Bank, and Burngreave, we "knocked about" with each other in the evenings and weekends, then we left school, the area got redeveloped people moved away and contact get's lost. I would love to meet up with him again for a good chin wag. we could talk for hours..

What years did you go to 'Burney' ? I was there from 1958-1962 , (when I got parole).

What years did you go to 'Burney' ? I was there from 1958-1962 , (when I got parole).

I was born Feb. 1949. So it will have been around 1961/2 / till 64/5 ? (my maths is crap)

I was born Feb. 1949. So it will have been around 1961/2 / till 64/5 ? (my maths is crap)

You will have started there in 1960.

i left burngreave in 1968 i didnt like it there at all .i couldnt wait to leave although i loved pye bank .phil is four yrs older than me

i left burngreave in 1968 i didnt like it there at all .i couldnt wait to leave although i loved pye bank .phil is four yrs older than me

Hi Pauline, you will be about 65 now then...

---------- Post added 13-06-2018 at 21:49 ----------

You will have started there in 1960.

Yes, sounds about right, I tell you my maths is crap. lol..

Shame this thread is dying out but if any of you have Facebook  you may know our group on there Pitsmoorians of the past, please feel free to drop by you may find some old friends there 

Yes, I opened this thread way back in 2003 and now run Pitsmoorians of the past on FB many people have met old friends on there and it has built up to 3.5k members.

See you there if you have not already been

Paul

42 minutes ago, Cycleracer said:

Yes, I opened this thread way back in 2003 and now run Pitsmoorians of the past on FB many people have met old friends on there and it has built up to 3.5k members.

See you there if you have not already been

Paul

Hi mate. I started a similar thread about Totley in 50/60s  in 2011.

I got an initial flurry of posts then it slowed down. I’d post on it myself to try and get it back on the ‘front page’ thinking there’d be new people joining the forum who’d have something to contribute but it seemed that I’d lost more than I was gaining. It’s now died a death even though I’m sure there’s people out there who’ve got stories to tell.

I don’t do FB personally but I guess that’s the only medium that encourages an immediate response these days 

Very frustrating.

On 21/10/2011 at 15:12, Cookingfat said:

hi i lived in the old pitsmoor in the 50s in the slums with leaking roofs i also went to pye bank school and i hated it the teachers were the old school types who ruled with a disapline of iron, but enjoyed living there had lots of mate we would play up on parkwood springs at the weekends, when the demolition started we moved to gleadless valley with lots of others, the one outstanding thing i remember about pitsmoor and spital hill was that there ethnic people there only the odd west indian.

there were loads of big houses on pitsmoor and burngreave road and many were very well off a little known fact that arthur conan doyle lived and workedup there foff a time above a doctors where the green painted sop on the corner of spital hill near john heaths funeral home