Does anyone remember "Beetlecrusher" shoes?

also us women had leather sandals called beetle crushers with cork soles 1969 to 1971. us girls used to get in a line and dance with them on , in the bowling alley on queens rd. when bikers and mods where there x

Wasn't there also a type of shoe called a winkle picker?

Yes there was, worn with tight Italian suit. Late 60's. In the pub at corner of Ellesmere Rd and Petre st a police sergeant on a check up asked a guy if his toes came to the end of his shoes, a quick reply had the dram shop in hysterics . No he said, does thy head go to the top of his helmet. The constable with him daren't laugh but there were tears running down his face. Tears were running down the card players legs. They left in a hurry.

Yes there was, worn with tight Italian suit. Late 60's. In the pub at corner of Ellesmere Rd and Petre st a police sergeant on a check up asked a guy if his toes came to the end of his shoes, a quick reply had the dram shop in hysterics . No he said, does thy head go to the top of his helmet. The constable with him daren't laugh but there were tears running down his face. Tears were running down the card players legs. They left in a hurry.

I am pretty sure the Italian suit and winkle-picker shoes craze was the early 60s , actually, as I was first married in 1967 and they were long behind me at that point. Not to dismiss your story by any means, very funny. I often get time frames mixed up when I think of the good old times.

I am pretty sure the Italian suit and winkle-picker shoes craze was the early 60s , actually, as I was first married in 1967 and they were long behind me at that point. Not to dismiss your story by any means, very funny. I often get time frames mixed up when I think of the good old times.

You're right, more likely '62-'63.True story,I can still see the constable trying not to laugh. The sergeant was the one who patrolled Fitzalan Sq on Saturdays and I would love to have heard what he told the PC when he got outside. Probably keep quiet or it's nights regular.

I'm in Guelph, On, been here since '81

You're right, more likely '62-'63.True story,I can still see the constable trying not to laugh. The sergeant was the one who patrolled Fitzalan Sq on Saturdays and I would love to have heard what he told the PC when he got outside. Probably keep quiet or it's nights regular.

I'm in Guelph, On, been here since '81

I came here(Canada) in 1981 too, started in Cambridge then Kitchener, moved down to Toronto in 1984 been in the GTA ever since. Currently at Bloor /Islington area in Etobicoke.

Yes, and after winkle pickers came the similar chisel toed shoes, where the very end point was taken off.

Platform shoes, very similar to beetle crushers or brothel creepers, with no discernible heel, returned later in the '60s although they were usually made of leather not suede.

echo.

Was the shoe shop at Parkhill called Dempseys? I worked at Parkhill in the 60's, and recall some of the shops there. Doreens's hairdreser, Butchers groceries, Brind for all your 'stocking' needs! The pubs, and a lovely dress shop whose name escapes me!! Anyone with a few more names?!!

Yes Hetty, Dempsey's was the shoe shop on what was known as 'the Pavement'. I think the ladies hairdressers nearby may have been at one time, Jean Wyatt.

Edited by St Petre
add