Information on Don Confectionery Ltd.

Yes, I've used Historical Directories but the only one that is relevent is 'White's directory of Sheffield & Rotherham 1901'. This gives the factory at 67 Bridge Street and the few other entries are people who worked there.

There are no other directories for an earlier or later period which cover Sheffield. I suppose that as this is the middle of the period that I am interested in then it is pretty save to say that at this time it was not a retail business but it does look as if it developed into this later on because at the time of your 1927 Kelly's it seemed to have several branches. It could have developed into a retail business in the 1901 - 1913 period I suppose whilst my grnadfather was still working there.

Yes, I've used Historical Directories but the only one that is relevent is 'White's directory of Sheffield & Rotherham 1901'. This gives the factory at 67 Bridge Street and the few other entries are people who worked there.

There are no other directories for an earlier or later period which cover Sheffield. I suppose that as this is the middle of the period that I am interested in then it is pretty save to say that at this time it was not a retail business but it does look as if it developed into this later on because at the time of your 1927 Kelly's it seemed to have several branches. It could have developed into a retail business in the 1901 - 1913 period I suppose whilst my grnadfather was still working there.

Hi the 1911 directory is listed on line but the information is still Bridge St

The 1879 gives S M

connection as Bassets no mention of Don Lived at 14 Lawson Rd broomhill Sheffield..

Roy.

Thanks, where did you find the 1911 directory, I can't find that?

No directory for Sheffield for 1911 appears by decade or anywhere else.

Not to worry, thanks for your help.

Peter

Thanks, I found it eventually by using keywords, certainly no indication of shops in that directory so I conclude that it was not a retail business up to that time. Thanks for your help. Peter

I have just discovered a photograph of my grandparents stood outside the Don confectionery company with many other employees in about 1894. I am trying to find out more info if you can help me

Thanking you in anticiption

Eric Hodson

Hello,

I've been looking into Don Confectionery history, having several of their tins, and also trying to help Sheffield General Cemetery Trust (where George Bassett's grave is) prepare for Heritage Open Days.    There seems to be differences of opinion about the founding date of the company.  Carterknowle (Peter Thornton) has 1878 (which is the year that George Bassett had his first stroke),  but other sources quote 1887 (just after George Bassett's death).    

Eric Hodson - did you get any further with researching?

Regards all,

Andrew