Sign in to follow this  

The Sheffield Gamers game swap thread

I know we have SF's Classifieds section for selling, swapping and giving away.

But I don't think most people who post in this sub-forum actually use the Classifieds section much: I've been regularly buying, selling and (trying to-) swap gaming stuff (and other stuff, but generally always electronics of some sort) for years and years, on SF since I joined in 2008 and elsewhere (eBay, Shpock, Gumtree, etc.) before and since, and insofar as trades (swaps) are concerned, there never seems to be any replies or interest whatsoever, even for relatively recent titles or interesting/collectable platforms, on SF.

This got me thinking out of the blue, that maybe we (Sheffield Gamers sub-forum users) could set up something in here for swapping (not selling/buying: that stays in Classifieds) gaming stuff specifically, with each other?

It could be made a sticky post, and users can post in here if they have finished or unwanted game(s), whether physical or DL codes, that they want to swap for other game(s), regardless of game age or platform, no money involved.

New title for new title, old title for title, many old titles for one new title, SNES carts for 360 discs, <whatever>.

Obviously this would have to have some basic rules, e.g. only users with the minimum number of posts for using SF's PM system (or a higher post count, for 'increased' trustworthiness?) can trade, costs of postal exchanges at users' own expense, <etc.> besides the obvious fact (-and rule) that any trades agreed on here would be a private matter strictly between the posters involved, and fully outside of SF's control and responsibility.

For posters' own safety, they should also take every precaution before trading with other posters: from the most simple, such as exchanging phone numbers/details via PMs and checking users' post history, to arranging a meeting in person in a public space, and may consider a postal swap only with the most trustworthy of fellow posters.

Anyway, that's the basic idea, and I have a box full of various PS3, PS4, xbox 360, xbox one, 3DS, WiiU titles and a couple DL codes on XB1 ready to get this thread started with :)

The problem with a lot of swapping now, is it's really only console games you can swap and exchange, and even that won't be the case soon, as there will be licenses tied to consoles for some games in the future (I can't remember where I read it, and it may just have been rumor)

I don't really have any games I could offer to swap, but tonnes I want! - but then, i'm mostly a PC gamer, and my consoles are *cough*questionable*cough*

Fair points, although not so relevant for retro and legacy gaming (pre-DLC and online accounts with e.g. Steam, Origin and whatnot), and I was not intending for this thread to be only about 'new' or 'modern' stuff.

Nothing to preclude a swap offer of, say, a few xbox 360 discs or a SNES cartridge for a vintage, C batteries-powered CGL electronic game; or a USB NES-style controller for a recent PS4 title; or some big box DOS PC games for a VCS cartridge; or <...> and even tabletop ('physical') games e.g. Monopoly, Connect4, or what-have-you.

The point was, to try and make it an anything-goes swap (no money involved) thread, for anything gaming-related that is swappable, useable by people who are into gaming and after gaming stuff as counterpart (that's to keep this thread relevant to this sub forum alone, and not compete with the general "Swap/Give-away" sub-forum in the Classifieds: people who want to swap a PS4 for a iPhone should still use the Classifieds and not come in here) :)

Just an idea, you know. Nothing to stop people just binning the stuff or giving it to charities instead ;)

Swap-wise, I have available:

xbox One: Ori and the blind forest (download code, unused)

xbox 360: Halo 4, Halo Anniversary, Spec Ops The Line, GTA IV, Ace Combat 6, Plant vs Zombies (all originals, boxed). Halo Anniversary is French box/disc, but install & plays fully in English (tried & tested on UK 360).

PS3: Call of Duty Black Ops II, Motion Sports Adrenaline, Top Spin 4, FIFA13, FIFA 10, God of War HD remastered Collection (2 games, 1st edition). All games except God of War are French box/disc, but install & play fully in English (tried & tested on UK PS3).

Vita: full Disney Infinity 2.0 Marvel starter pack (unboxed, but complete: portal, USB cable, black Spiderman figure, crystal 'thing', 2 power discs, cartridge in Vita game box with manual).

Not sure about 3DS and WiiU, will have to check.

I'm after swaps because

• either they're not my cup of gaming tea (got them as part of a deal, or as presents, and I'm not bothered about them)
  • or I have completed them

and I'd sooner have something new and different to experience, than a couple of quids in my pockets :)

Swap-wise, formats I am interested in: xbox One, PS4, PS3, WiiU, Vita, 3DS, Gamecube, Dreamcast.

Edited by L00b

I'm sorry to say that after discussion with Admin it was decided that to allow the swaps would open the floodgates to loads of ads in the groups again, so it was decided that you should use the classifieds please.