Is The Boardwalk ever going to reopen as a music venue

The Boardwalk was a venue that like many other bands i played o numerous occassions.

It was a fantastic venue and had a legendary past.

Is the plan to just let it fall to pieces??

I know the O2 is just around the corner but it isnt as accessible for bands

just starting out etc.

Surely someone outthere has fond memories of the place and could afford to invest to carry on the legacy.

People have looked into it and one of my friends was interested for a while.

It may be that it is a financial issue

I heard that the other venue thats under the Boardwalk was gonna reopen, no idea if its true tho. Hopefully the Boardwalk will make a comeback, i personally played some of my favourite gigs there.

The loss of the Grapes was more of a shame for new bands in my opinion, although the boardwalk was awesome. WSL is now easily the best venue in town. Before it was a tie between that and grapes for new bands with boardwalk out front for slightly more established bands.

Anyway, yes, it's a shame and I wish it would open up again.

Dont know what the fuss is about, the boardwalk was a crap venue been in much better workingman's clubs walkley for example,it has a great stage and an unrestricted view.

Dont know what the fuss is about, the boardwalk was a crap venue been in much better workingman's clubs walkley for example,it has a great stage and an unrestricted view.

For newer bands, it was a big stage, where you got great sound 95% of the time, had your first experience of a backstage room, and felt like a "proper band", plus, so many important bands played there, and it's the feeling of following them. I suspect that was a part of it.

the boardwalk should be saved and kept purely for its historic musical significance

Can't see anything happening at the moment because it's a bit off the beaten track. I think whatever happens to the old market quarter will be the catalyst spark for the area. It remains to be seen.

Can't see anything happening at the moment because it's a bit off the beaten track. I think whatever happens to the old market quarter will be the catalyst spark for the area. It remains to be seen.

off the beaten track? its near the markets, its not far from o2, its round the corner from the main shopping area and a tram stop and not far from west st, and has a bloody great hotel next to it :suspect:

For newer bands, it was a big stage, where you got great sound 95% of the time, had your first experience of a backstage room, and felt like a "proper band", plus, so many important bands played there, and it's the feeling of following them. I suspect that was a part of it.

The last time i was there must have been the other 5% of the time , my wife cannot stand for long due to health problems so we had to sit about thee quarters of the way back from the stage.The sound man had put the vocals so far back in the mix the drums and bass drowned him out where we were sat,the wife stood at the front for a while but said it was not much better there.Long thin rooms need at least a pair of speakers halfway down,speakers on a stage do not allow to sound to travel when the audience is stood.

The last time i was there must have been the other 5% of the time , my wife cannot stand for long due to health problems so we had to sit about thee quarters of the way back from the stage.The sound man had put the vocals so far back in the mix the drums and bass drowned him out where we were sat,the wife stood at the front for a while but said it was not much better there.Long thin rooms need at least a pair of speakers halfway down,speakers on a stage do not allow to sound to travel when the audience is stood.

Must have been! :) There was one sound guy who was ok, but not amazing, and the others were great. I've played there a fair few times, and only once had a problem (with that one sound guy).

Can't see the boardwalk ever being the same if it did reopen, not unless Chris Wilson is around too, he had the contacts! Shame tho, happy memories of that place. I think Chris puts nights on at the grey stones nowadays.