La Vaca Steakhouse, Broomhill

This restaurant sounded like an answer to my prayers - a south american steakhouse on our doorstep! However, our first visit was a very mixed experience and I would be interested in other people's views.

As an extended family of carnivores, three generations of us visited at 6.30 on Saturday evening. We booked 2 days in advance and they squeezed us in, even calling on Saturday morning to check that we were still coming. We had the table for 2 hours, but this seemed reasonable.

The restaurant is where Buon Deli used to be, with a large grill installed near the door. There are a few table out front and more in a back room that I did not know existed. There was another group already in, 10 or so adults with a penchant for high-fiving. The staff were very efficient, and drinks came quickly. The starters did not look too exciting, so we went straight for 8 and 12 oz steaks (16 and 24oz also available). These arrived after a reasonable time and were cooked exactly as requested (from blue to nearly well-done). Side dishes are extra, but very tasty - mash and spinach, chips, wedges and small salads - and are highly shareable. The token vegetarian had a limited choice, but thought the parmigiana OK and the pescetarian had a tuna steak that sadly did not come from the grill in the front. So far, so good.

Edited by PeteM01
had a good re-visit so deleted previous comments

A word with management should have sufficed.

'Either you quieten these drunks down or we will leave.'

Not unreasonable at all.

Not unreasonable at all.

A quiet word would have been difficult in the circumstances! With three generations round the table, a tactical withdrawal was the easiest solution. I will be emailing the owner, though.

I haven't been yet, but have heard good stuff. Shame your experience wasn't great. Trying to enjoy your meal whilst surrounded by a pack of load drunken people can't be fun.... and yes that microwave ping would have annoyed! I'll give it a go though...

Hello,

Owner of La Vaca here. I have read you thread and e-mail, thank you, and fully take on board what you say. We have only been open 6 weeks so still finding our feet a bit.

Two things I'll take from this. I think,( as is policy in other restaurants) we might limit the size of tables on a Fri/Sat night to avoid this problem in the future. Secondly, in our next staff training day I will explain to the front of house staff that they must be confident in telling big tables to keep the noise and language down. It may be that none of the staff confident enough to approach this table.

As for the microwave, for a no frills but good grub restaurant some things require use of microwave - giving the brownies a quick warm through before they are served for example. All our food is fresh.

We absolutely do welcome and encourage families. We have a great (fresh) kids menu with colouring things and highchairs.

I must stress to any customers if there is something you are not happy with please, please tell us straight away it is very difficult for us to deal with the problem retrospectively.

Many thanks for the feedback, Gloria and Rodrigo

Not unreasonable at all.

Absolutely the staff will always try to help.

Thanks, Gloria and Rodrigo

Hello,

Owner of La Vaca here. I have read you thread and e-mail, thank you, and fully take on board what you say. We have only been open 6 weeks so still finding our feet a bit.

Two things I'll take from this. I think,( as is policy in other restaurants) we might limit the size of tables on a Fri/Sat night to avoid this problem in the future. Secondly, in our next staff training day I will explain to the front of house staff that they must be confident in telling big tables to keep the noise and language down. It may be that none of the staff confident enough to approach this table.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. If I had been paying the bill I certainly would have complained but this would still have been too late to salvage much enjoyment from the evening.

Judicious microwave use does not bother me - this comment was a bit of a teaser for ClareT. We all liked the food and would have stayed for more if we could.

I think your suggestions regarding staff training etc are all good ones and I look forward to reading some positive reviews of your restaurant.

Not unreasonable at all.

Edited by pottedplant
posted before saw la vaca reply.

i walked past last night n it was busy.

I tried to go on Friday 29th June. Foolishly not booking (was a last minute idea). Just after pay day too. Doh. Will be attempting to go back again soon though!