The 0114 Area code

This number being Sheffields Area code. But is it only followed by 2? I thought the whole idea of giving cities the 4 digit area code was to take advantage of the extra number for combinations. But Sheffield hasnt seemed to impliment it. Ive been looking around recently and ive only seen 0114 2** etc... Considering over half a million people live in Sheffield surely they would be able to implement it. Anyone know why? Also some areas in S60 near the parkway have a Rotherham number of 01709 but its still classed as Sheffield. Why didnt they get given the 0114 number? does anyone also know how far the 0114 area code extends to because other cities it extends much further than the actual area of the city for example, Manchester and Liverpool. :?:

Apparantly not very far, Sheffield Road, First part of Bawtry Rd near the Tinsley viaduct is 01709, Owler Bar Soouth west is not 0114. past High Green north Sheffield is 01226.

Worksop has a sheffield postcode as does Rotherham though thats because of the set postal system rather than the phone network.

Ridgeway and Killamarsh are in Derbyshire but have 0114 tel numbers so the exchange must extend over county boundaries

As far as I'm aware, Dronfield also has an 0114 code too doesn't it? Not sure about it being followed by a 2 though.

Ive just had a look on a telephone directory. Searched for a radom name of Smith under Dronfield and it takes me to Chesterfield. Either I need to find a name of someone who isnt ex directory who live in dronfield or dronfield is classed as part of Chesterfield, therefor it appears as 01246. Does anyone who visits this forum live in dronfield? if so do you have an 0114 number followed by anything other than a 2?

Hmmm. It probably is a Chesterfield number then. I wasn't 100% sure Dronfield was 0114, but for some reason I did think it was. Maybe it used to be or something.

I don't think OFTEL have implemented any 'new ' numbers for Sheffield yet, as the change from six to seven digits provided a lot of new numbers.

Does anyone remember the days when Sheffield city centre numbers only had FIVE digits and then in the 70's you had to put a '7' before it when they went to six figure numbers?

Or how about when areas had their own local dialling code, sich as '94' for Worksop, '92' for Rotherham?

And can anyone tell me why some businesses STILL incorrectly put their phone numbers on their buildings and vehicles? The number of times i've seen them like (for example) J.SMITH Tel: (01142) 123456

Originally posted by "alchresearch"

I don't think OFTEL have implemented any 'new ' numbers for Sheffield yet, as the change from six to seven digits provided a lot of new numbers.

Does anyone remember the days when Sheffield city centre numbers only had FIVE digits and then in the 70's you had to put a '7' before it when they went to six figure numbers?

Or how about when areas had their own local dialling code, sich as '94' for Worksop, '92' for Rotherham?

And can anyone tell me why some businesses STILL incorrectly put their phone numbers on their buildings and vehicles? The number of times i've seen them like (for example) J.SMITH Tel: (01142) 123456

I was brought up in Woodhouse and can remember our number being Woodhouse and then 4 digits. To get a line to Sheffield you first had to dial 9. Our phone was one of the old fashioned bacolite ones with a big metal dial. God that makes me sound old :cry:

And can anyone tell me why some businesses STILL incorrectly put their phone numbers on their buildings and vehicles?

01142 is the code for sheffield followed by a six figure number but most people use the 2 as the first number of there number.

The 01142 number is actually the correct code for Sheffield but most people use it as the first number on the telephone number.

Edited by Andy

I'm not sure about that. I thought that 0114 was the area code, and the 2 was put before all the old 6 digit numbers to allow for more numbers being added in the future?

Yes, you're right. When the other towns got their new numbers (Leeds and a few others), they didn't make the mistake of putting 0113x 0115x and so on.