The EU and the Irish Border.

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

08-12-2017, 23:07   #181
Anna B

Total Posts: 9,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litotes View Post
Sounds like the UK - the general corruption, its carefree spending of other people's money, the lack of democratic accountability and the poor light that the UK is regarded with all over the world...

What makes you think we are regarded in a poor light 'all over the world'?

Serious question.
10-12-2017, 19:52   #182
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Total Posts: 14,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00b View Post
The UK has no constitution.
Yes, it does- but not a written one.
10-12-2017, 19:57   #183
SnailyBoy

Total Posts: 4,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Shaw View Post
Is it only known via the medium of dance?
_______
flickr
10-12-2017, 20:02   #184
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailyBoy View Post
Is it only known via the medium of dance?
No, it's known from Statute Law; Common Law case decisions; etc.
Please read-up on Constitutional Law. I suggest starting at http://www.bing.com/search?q=constit...logo=CT3210127
10-12-2017, 20:23   #185
SnailyBoy

Total Posts: 4,642
Quote:
No, it's known from Statute Law; Common Law case decisions; etc.
Please read-up on Constitutional Law. I suggest starting at http://www.bing.com/search?q=constit...logo=CT3210127
So it is written then after all.
_______
flickr
10-12-2017, 20:32   #186
L00b

Total Posts: 16,914
Quote:
No, it doesn't.

It has a body of 'constitutional' law (made up of multifarious bits: Statutes, parts thereof, and Case Law as you note), of variable geometry (cherry-picked ad hoc according to politico-legal situations as they arise: see e.g Henry VIII powers, Humble Adress procedure, and tons more). Last best exemplified in the judgement by tbe Supreme Court in the government appeal from the Miller win.

But no such thing as 'the UK constitution', least of all when that expression is used by reference/contrast to the Irish one.

You're the guy who claimed there was no such thing as 'international law' way-back-when, aren't you? Have you learned anything from all those Brexit-inspired debates involving the WTO, NATO, the Vienna Convention, <...> since?
11-12-2017, 14:38   #187
ENG601PM

Total Posts: 286
Quote:
No, it doesn't.

It has a body of 'constitutional' law (made up of multifarious bits: Statutes, parts thereof, and Case Law as you note), of variable geometry (cherry-picked ad hoc according to politico-legal situations as they arise: see e.g Henry VIII powers, Humble Adress procedure, and tons more). Last best exemplified in the judgement by tbe Supreme Court in the government appeal from the Miller win.

But no such thing as 'the UK constitution', least of all when that expression is used by reference/contrast to the Irish one.

You're the guy who claimed there was no such thing as 'international law' way-back-when, aren't you? Have you learned anything from all those Brexit-inspired debates involving the WTO, NATO, the Vienna Convention, <...> since?
It was a few days ago now (a lovely few day's skiing thanks for asking) so I'm just checking that you understood that when I say "UK Constitution" it's just the usual shorthand for the velum etc? I'm certain that you don't actually think that I think that there's a bulleted list of clauses and articles.

On and up. As I said last week, it's all looking like Eire has been thrown under the bus by the EU. Silly Leo.
11-12-2017, 14:56   #188
L00b

Total Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG601PM View Post
It was a few days ago now (a lovely few day's skiing thanks for asking) so I'm just checking that you understood that when I say "UK Constitution" it's just the usual shorthand for the velum etc? I'm certain that you don't actually think that I think that there's a bulleted list of clauses and articles.
Trying to come to the rescue of Ukipper Jeffrey?

You're still a bit new here, aren't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENG601PM View Post
On and up. As I said last week, it's all looking like Eire has been thrown under the bus by the EU. Silly Leo.
Ah, that must be why Davis has been busy eating his rethoric of the weekend all morning, and very publicly so, then!

On an up indeed, here's to hoping Leo slaps Davis with his veto on Friday. It'd be a lovely feeling to be breaking up for Xmas with.
11-12-2017, 18:32   #189
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Quote:
Well, I agree that the RoI has a written Constitution and that in contrast the UK doesn't.
Reply To Topic