Sheffield Shoebox Appeal 2017 - Can you help?

My boys (5 & 9) made two boxes and we dropped them off at the Yellow Storage Company on Penistone Road. The 5 year old was desperate to put his pet goldfish in his box so the recipient had a friend!

Oh that's so sweet of him! Please thank your little ones for caring about other people in this world :)

The deadline for dropping boxes off at the drop off points for the appeal is next Saturday, the 9th December, for anybody else who would be interested in donating a present to the appeal to be given out to people within Sheffield.

My boys (5 & 9) made two boxes and we dropped them off at the Yellow Storage Company on Penistone Road. The 5 year old was desperate to put his pet goldfish in his box so the recipient had a friend!

This is adorable of him. You have some caring kids there - be proud!

Also, I'm happy to see a Supermarket doing something so nice as well!

This year, Big Yellow are unable to provide free storage containers for the Sheffield Shoebox Appeall/[/url]

This includes an FAQ, Drop off points etc.

Thank you.

It appears your headline is misleading Big Yellow, penistone Road are taking and storing the boxes, please amend this misleading info.

It appears your headline is misleading Big Yellow, penistone Road are taking and storing the boxes, please amend this misleading info.

Yes they are taking the boxes, but their storage isn't free this year. So the information is correct. I have made a slight edit to clarify.

Edited by spiceoflife

They are taking, but the units have been hired from them, not received on a sponsored basis as has happened in previous years.

Spiceoflife, my wife and son want to volunteer their help this weekend at the Hillsborough location, are kids allowed to attend?

Spiceoflife, my wife and son want to volunteer their help this weekend at the Hillsborough location, are kids allowed to attend?

You'd be more than welcome. If this year is anything like last year, it will be a general call for anybody who feels able to give a couple of hours of their time to come and get a vigorous box-based workout sorting, moving and checking boxes by the hundred.

We've had children as young as 3 coming to help, and as long as the parents understand that there will be large trolleys and pallet trucks moving around so you do have to be mindful of where they are at all times, everything has been great. Generally the children really get into the spirit of making the presents lovely for other people and the walls of boxes all wrapped and pretty are a great precursor to Christmas.

It's important for you to know, however, that Big Yellow is not heated so please make sure that you're wearing layers and little ones in particular have enough warm clothes. There's also no catering of any sort on site, so pack a drink and a snack :)

Thanks Medusa.

I'm not in charge/physically involved with the Appeal. I was spreading the good word as it were.

Nice to see that people want to volunteer :)

Anybody who fancies a change from the gym, how about a stint volunteering for a feelgood workout helping homeless and vulnerable people between tomorrow and Sunday?

No matter how many people we get volunteering we will have boxes needing your attention. Come to Big Yellow in Hillsborough and Kelly will set you to work moving, sorting, checking and herding boxes of presents!

If you turn up and you can't see anybody directly involved with the appeal please ask a staff member and they will let you in through the security doors to come in to Box HQ, which is on the ground floor this year.

Thank you all :)

Family member went there this morning to volunteer for the day. Spoke to staff but they said there wasn't anyone there yet. After ages of hanging around with nobody there to speak to they went home. Not sure what went wrong?