Where is the best & cheapest place for tyres?

where is spot on tyres

Possibly the always friendly, helpful and great service On the Spot Tyres

Address: 11 Langdale Rd, Sheffield S8 0UQ

Phone: 0114 258 4146

off Abbeydale Rd

where is spot on tyres

dont buy cheap tyres, your life could depend on it before you do anything go to staton tyres next to birley garden centre and get his advice first steve has been in the trade 30 years and he is a very reliable honest guy

If you have a membership - try Costco.

Their prices are pretty keen - and the fitting facility is modern and clean.

Plus you can potter round the shop while they fit them and have a slice of pizza.

Second hand or part worn tyres are a false economy.Most tyre companies do budget tyres ,if you are looking for cheap ,buy new budget tyres.I personally use Hawleys on Holme Lane in s6.

Not allways the case ,I bought 4 tyres off a seller on eBay ,they had only done 200 miles then his engine blew up .should have been around £60 each and I paid only £80 for them. ,never had a problem with them and been on now about 2.1/2 years

Part worn tyres or second hand tyres should be made illegal. this is a 1 or 2 ton machine you are operating and safety standards need to be high. There is simply no argument to this.

Been to 2 different places for tyres recently and both were trying to sell me tracking even thought the tyres were evenly worn. Out of curiosity I asked how much - £32 for tracking. NTS at Chesterfield really pushy with it.

Some interesting views, my thoughts for what they're worth.

Part-worn and second-hand tyres - As long as care is taken then I'd much rather have a brand and type I can trust over budget tyres any day. Try and find the history, check the age (DOT code) and check they've been pressure tested and not patched. I've bought many good part worns that have far better wet and dry grip than some of the brand new budgets

Reputable Retailers - Kwik Fit and the like are places I tend to avoid. Their deals generally aren't any better than sourcing online or through a smaller firm more reliant on reputation for repeat business. Also I've been pushed towards tracking etc when I know it's not needed. On the Spot Tyres just opposite the bottom end of Carter Knowle Road has always been excellent. They're careful with the rims, will clean up the rims for a good tyre fit and copper grease the nuts back on. It may have changed but it was a small family run business and it was about making a set margin so prices were competitive.

The Cheapest - I've been to some dives hidden away in the search for second hand tyres and quite often walked away, I've seen some tyres so old the rubber was starting to crack. It's all about taking care, I've bought winter tyres second hand and with near full tread because someone has swapped them for summers and has nowhere to store them.

New tyres, shop around, Blackcircles etc are a good starting point but if you have a preferred fitter then ask them if they can match or better the price.

Some interesting views, my thoughts for what they're worth.

Part-worn and second-hand tyres - As long as care is taken then I'd much rather have a brand and type I can trust over budget tyres any day. Try and find the history, check the age (DOT code) and check they've been pressure tested and not patched. I've bought many good part worns that have far better wet and dry grip than some of the brand new budgets

Reputable Retailers - Kwik Fit and the like are places I tend to avoid. Their deals generally aren't any better than sourcing online or through a smaller firm more reliant on reputation for repeat business. Also I've been pushed towards tracking etc when I know it's not needed. On the Spot Tyres just opposite the bottom end of Carter Knowle Road has always been excellent. They're careful with the rims, will clean up the rims for a good tyre fit and copper grease the nuts back on. It may have changed but it was a small family run business and it was about making a set margin so prices were competitive.

The Cheapest - I've been to some dives hidden away in the search for second hand tyres and quite often walked away, I've seen some tyres so old the rubber was starting to crack. It's all about taking care, I've bought winter tyres second hand and with near full tread because someone has swapped them for summers and has nowhere to store them.

New tyres, shop around, Blackcircles etc are a good starting point but if you have a preferred fitter then ask them if they can match or better the price.

Some good advice there.

I must admit, I'd never consider used tyres. I did once, when I was a kid and didn't have a lot of money. I bought a set of cross-ply remoulds from Deaton's Scrap yard at Staveley. Put them on me Singer Vogue and was happy as a sandboy. It was one night when I was giving a mate a lift home and showing him what 1725cc of a Rootes engine could do that he casually asked me what sort of tyres I'd got. When I told him he gripped his seat and went pale..."slow down, slow down, let me out of here you fool" he said. Being insightful around people, I suspected he wasn't impressed with my answer.

I agree that the big national tyre chains are not good value for money. I was talked into buying a deal at Kwik Fit where they do several trackings in a year for a fixed price. I had the tracking done the other day and the report showed that one of the front wheels was still out of alignment when they'd finished. When I asked they said, "it's not much out - and anyway, we can't fix that, it would need a special tool". :huh: Not impressed!

I just put winter tyres on my car. It's a 4x4 but even so, winter tyres make a huge difference to the handling in snow or, as is more common, on ice. It cost me an arm and a leg tbh - £230 a tyre or thereabouts. So, nearly a grand gone just on tyres that I'll only have on the car for the next 6 months. But, how do you put a price on safety? To me it's worth it.

It needn't be that expensive though, depending on what kind of car you drive. I had winter tyres fitted to an old Ford Focus a few years ago - I also used On The Spot tyres at the bottom of Carterknowle Road. Those winter tyres were cheap, about £50 a tyre. If I tell you that the Ford Focus was better in snow with winter tyres on, than my Land Rover without them on, you may be surprised, but it's true. I used to live abroad and it was mandatory to fit winter tyres there - I'd never be without them now (except in summer of course, when I remove them and put summer tyres on). If you've never fitted them - it's really worth it.

I buy my tyres online nowadays and have them delivered to a local tyre fitter. I had some delivered to Hawley's on Sharrow Vale 2 years ago - I wouldn't do that again tbh because they don't do wheel alignment there. So I had to make another trip then to their Hillsboro branch - and the service there wasn't great tbh! (How long will it be? Dunno! Well roughly? Dunno - you'll have to leave it with us! 2 hours later still working on it! Ever tried to kill 2 hours in Hillsborough?).

I used oponeo online this time and had my tyres fitted at Mr Exhaust on Harwood street, near Bramall lane. Oponeo's prices and service were excellent and the guys down at Mr Exhaust were top class. Really impressed with both.

Edited by DerbyTup

Part worn tyres or second hand tyres should be made illegal. this is a 1 or 2 ton machine you are operating and safety standards need to be high. There is simply no argument to this.

I think you are on the money, pay cheap get cheap. They are cheap for a reason, they are not as good as branded tyres.

Angel1.

Unless you take off your tyres and thoroughly examine them before each and every journey, we're all running on part worn tyres!

Would definitely avoid kwik fit. Although the MOT garage told me I would only need two new tyres in the next few months, kwik fit replaced all four when my wife took the car to them. Also their drive in prices were more much higher than booking in on line and they talked her in to wheel balances. They probably did twice the work they need to at twice the price. Divorce is pending.