Sheffield Forum

Council: electricity provider?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

18-11-2017, 01:35   #1
Anna B

Total Posts: 9,885
This is a bit of a long shot, but I think I remember hearing that the council had a scheme running where they provided cheap electricity.

Does that just sound weird?

Does anybody know anything about it, or who I could contact if it's correct?
18-11-2017, 07:06   #2
Yorkie2000

Total Posts: 13
http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/b...t-energy-deal/

Could it be this what you mean, don't think you can join it now. I remember looking into it but found better deals through energy comparison websites.

Last edited by Yorkie2000; 18-11-2017 at 07:08.
18-11-2017, 10:44   #3
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,364
It doesn't sound weird to a lot of older people as councils used to be responsible for most of the utilities in big cities. What is weird is, despite that not being the case for decades, a lot of people still blame the council for everything those privatised utilities do wrong.
_______
UK debt now £1,920 billion. It was £700 billion in 2010. Tories, who lied they were paying it down, close to TRIPLING it. Safe with economy?
- Jan 2017
18-11-2017, 14:44   #4
Itrytoplease

Total Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie2000 View Post
http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/b...t-energy-deal/

Could it be this what you mean, don't think you can join it now. I remember looking into it but found better deals through energy comparison websites.
The same here, Looked into it and wasn't that good a deal.
_______
“Don’t worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” – Jack Canfield
18-11-2017, 15:47   #5
Anna B

Total Posts: 9,885
Thanks fot the info everyone.
18-11-2017, 16:54   #6
spilldig

Total Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna B View Post
This is a bit of a long shot, but I think I remember hearing that the council had a scheme running where they provided cheap electricity.

Does that just sound weird?

Does anybody know anything about it, or who I could contact if it's correct?
Just wondering who would be paying the bill since the council don't have any money ?
19-11-2017, 13:22   #7
ENG601PM

Total Posts: 286
Is not cheap, it's just another scheme where the council get a commission from the electricity company. They aren't actually giving you anything except an opportunity to contribute to their wages.
19-11-2017, 17:45   #8
bassett one

Total Posts: 2,195
SCC cannot rule this city ,never mind a electric or gas provider,they cant even provide a cooker for our oaps they promised,imagine electric it would be madness.
_______
lowedges festival sunday august 12th 12noon-5pm
book from jan 2nd 2018
20-11-2017, 14:34   #9
samonosuke

Total Posts: 129
I signed up to this scheme in 2014 \ 2015 and it cut £40 a month off my bill, the council asked people to sign up and then they collectively bargained with the utility companies to get a decent discount. I was so impressed with the saving that I signed up for the year after but unfortunately nothing happened so I ended up going with Sainsburys Energy which was about £5 more expensive per month.

Just a quick comparison and history for anyone interested -

Before the switch I had been with E-on paying around £120 per month, as part of the SCC switch I transferred to British Gas £78 per month, after the 12 month contract period the new estimate from BG was £130 per month, I then switched to Sainsburys (Who are British Gas) and paid £83 per month, when this ended (Nov this year) the new estimate was £137 per month. I have now switched back to British Gas and will pay £87 per month until next November so it is definitely worth switching energy suppliers every year.

Last edited by samonosuke; 20-11-2017 at 16:09. Reason: Add information
20-11-2017, 21:09   #10
Narden Dee

Total Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassett one View Post
SCC cannot rule this city ,never mind a electric or gas provider,they cant even provide a cooker for our oaps they promised,imagine electric it would be madness.
That community centre has a cooker so why are you spreading lies
21-11-2017, 12:59   #11
bassett one

the community centre is 25 yards away from our building and nothing to do with the tenants hall,the tenants hall had to have a change of cooker 2 years ago as the council didn't want to fit a extractor fan needed for gas cookers,so they bought a electric cooker for the hall ,then the idiots found out there was no electric for a cooker,then spent thousands putting one in,then found out the lunchion club usual hot dinners,useing fresh food ,could no longer be done as the cooker was not strong enough or big enough to cope,thus the old folk now have to have frozen food and cant have what they used to have,plus the numbers are restricted meaning they cannot take new members,leaving some old people unable to come,in comes the labour councillor who said I guarantee to sort it,but not to be as he lost by a landslide,so we then asked the community centre to help as they had a top cooker the answer was no,so hence old folk left with poor quality food and no hot pudding,so get your facts correct thanks.
_______
book from jan 2nd 2018
21-11-2017, 15:35   #12
philyyy

Total Posts: 885
Quote:
the community centre is 25 yards away from our building and nothing to do with the tenants hall,the tenants hall had to have a change of cooker 2 years ago as the council didn't want to fit a extractor fan needed for gas cookers,so they bought a electric cooker for the hall ,then the idiots found out there was no electric for a cooker,then spent thousands putting one in,then found out the lunchion club usual hot dinners,useing fresh food ,could no longer be done as the cooker was not strong enough or big enough to cope,thus the old folk now have to have frozen food and cant have what they used to have,plus the numbers are restricted meaning they cannot take new members,leaving some old people unable to come,in comes the labour councillor who said I guarantee to sort it,but not to be as he lost by a landslide,so we then asked the community centre to help as they had a top cooker the answer was no,so hence old folk left with poor quality food and no hot pudding,so get your facts correct thanks.
Where is this place? Who is the councillor? Could it be crowdfunded?
21-11-2017, 17:56   #13
Narden Dee

Quote:
surely the cooker is the same as the one fitted in other centres

Last edited by Narden Dee; 26-11-2017 at 01:17.
21-11-2017, 18:46   #14
bassett one

I wish it was ,but when they realised they had no electric for a cooker they only fitted a normal electric box as in household,we know this as we the tenants association have agreed to sort this mess out as the council say they cant afford it and found a contract/commercial cooker ,they have come back and said unfortunately this cannot be fitted as it will cost to much to have a electric supply line in to meet the cookers requirements,so we are buying a another cooker and a huge 2nd oven/microwave so they can go back to offering meals with fresh cooked veg,as sec of the greenhill/bradway tara ,although you don't believe the truth this is a honest and truthfull account of what I have been trying to sort out for 2 years,all the other lunch club have cookers that meet the requirements of what are needed like ours used to until they made this mistake of fitting the wrong electric system and cooker.

---------- Post added 21-11-2017 at 17:55 ----------

re philyyy
our councillors are lib /dem and have been great,but the promise of sorting this out was the labour councillors who lost there places a year ago,but as you can see as a tara we are sorting out this mess,but it has been awfull for our lunch club,re lies as I have dealt with this personally for the last 2 years ,I know the truth,if anyone doesn't call in any tues pm 12noon-3pm and see,but as I say we will sort out this mess and put everything back to normal.
_______
book from jan 2nd 2018
21-11-2017, 23:51   #15
Narden Dee

Quote:
I wish it was ,but when they realised they had no electric for a cooker they only fitted a normal electric box as in household,we know this as we the tenants association have agreed to sort this mess out as the council say they cant afford it and found a contract/commercial cooker ,they have come back and said unfortunately this cannot be fitted as it will cost to much to have a electric supply line in to meet the cookers requirements,so we are buying a another cooker and a huge 2nd oven/microwave so they can go back to offering meals with fresh cooked veg,as sec of the greenhill/bradway tara ,although you don't believe the truth this is a honest and truthfull account of what I have been trying to sort out for 2 years,all the other lunch club have cookers that meet the requirements of what are needed like ours used to until they made this mistake of fitting the wrong electric system and cooker.

re philyyy
our councillors are lib /dem and have been great,but the promise of sorting this out was the labour councillors who lost there places a year ago,but as you can see as a tara we are sorting out this mess,but it has been awfull for our lunch club,re lies as I have dealt with this personally for the last 2 years ,I know the truth,if anyone doesn't call in any tues pm 12noon-3pm and see,but as I say we will sort out this mess and put everything back to normal.

Last edited by Narden Dee; 26-11-2017 at 01:15.
22-11-2017, 13:43   #16
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,364
Quote:

re philyyy
Have you spoken to your councillors about accessing the ward pot? This is a sum of money made available to local communities for them to decide on where it should go.
_______
UK debt now £1,920 billion. It was £700 billion in 2010. Tories, who lied they were paying it down, close to TRIPLING it. Safe with economy?
- Jan 2017
22-11-2017, 22:19   #17
bassett one

yes the councillors are working with ourselves they have been great,but the promise was by the prev labour councillors,the provider of the lunch club use chiefs who have many years experience and as its part of payback with social services,part of the deal is to use fresh veg,and homemade yorks and pies ect,they don't have a problem anywhere else except ours,the problem will be solved ,it is a pity our community centre wont help them,but sadly that was refused,but we as a tara with the lib/dems will sort it and I thank you for your sensible comment.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 16:35 ----------

my problem solved thank you via the lottery who will pay for a new one and a big microwave to go with it so we work with the LIB/DEMS to install and get our oaps back to normal with proper fresh cooked food again,so thanks for all your ideas,lets hope scc don't get the electric I need to cook with otherwise god help us in my opinion
_______
book from jan 2nd 2018
Reply To Topic