Laying laminate on uneven floorboards

Hi - looking for some advice. We're having some renovation work done and will be laying laminate flooring throughout the ground floor. We've purchased some pretty expensive stuff so I want it to be right. The builders have had to take up various sections of the floorboards, replacing some sections with chipboard or similar, and the end result is that it's fairly uneven in places. They're telling me that laying underlay, maybe different thicknesses in some areas, will be sufficient prep and we won't notice once it's laid - which I'm sure is true initially, but over the years is it likely to lead to problems? I don't want to question their judgement unnecessarily.

Fasten some thin (3-4mm) ply down first. This, along with the underlay, should even out any irregularities in the floor.

Hi - looking for some advice. We're having some renovation work done and will be laying laminate flooring throughout the ground floor. We've purchased some pretty expensive stuff so I want it to be right. The builders have had to take up various sections of the floorboards, replacing some sections with chipboard or similar, and the end result is that it's fairly uneven in places. They're telling me that laying underlay, maybe different thicknesses in some areas, will be sufficient prep and we won't notice once it's laid - which I'm sure is true initially, but over the years is it likely to lead to problems? I don't want to question their judgement unnecessarily.

Why don't you ask your builder to make good the floor properly? Why make it your problem?

Why can't they just put back down the boards they have taken up?

The boards had woodworm. I feel uncomfortable insisting they conform to what I think might be required, when I might be fussing about something that won't be a problem - and they're the 'experts'. I do trust him so if he says it'll be done right then I guess I'll accept that. Just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks for responding anyway.

The boards had woodworm. I feel uncomfortable insisting they conform to what I think might be required, when I might be fussing about something that won't be a problem - and they're the 'experts'. I do trust him so if he says it'll be done right then I guess I'll accept that. Just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks for responding anyway.

Good shout from ARM67. A good stapler will fix this down too.