Condensation on walls and windows

Hello

Have two friends who just moved to Lodge Moor, and their home (a semi-detached from the '20s) has condensation problems.

Particularly on the double glazed, and in the corners of rooms. What type of person should I advise them to call to diagnose and fix? A buider? A joiner?

Can you advise?

BWs

MV

Condensation is caused by not heating property properly and no air flow / open some windows to prove it /turn heating on /no need to spend money / like going in bath and not opening window . Going out all day turn heating off close windows equals condensation . Laminate floors big culprit

you got to have air flow and warmth

Edited by spider1

You can identify and fix many issues yourself regarding damp, but with such a vague description it's hard to help.

Call a builder if you want someone to sort it for you, they can at least advise you on what will probably need doing.

Hello

Have two friends who just moved to Lodge Moor, and their home (a semi-detached from the '20s) has condensation problems.

Particularly on the double glazed, and in the corners of rooms. What type of person should I advise them to call to diagnose and fix? A buider? A joiner?

Can you advise?

BWs

MV

Someone mentioned damp problems on this thread, post 14. https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1525358&highlight=damp+lodge+moor

Edited by only_me

Ventilation is the key to solving condensation problems.

Moden lifestyles in old properties cause massive problems unless adequate ventilation is provided.

Im local to your friends so if they want me to take a look and give some advice thats fine.

Hi Dan!

I will give them your name, you were excellent at the work in my house

Bws

MV

You need a Nuaire drimaster or similar fitting

Hi Dan!

I will give them your name, you were excellent at the work in my house

Bws

MV

Thank you.

Another tip, do not dry washing on radiators unless the room is well ventilated. Ventilation is the key.

heating on. windows on vent.

don't dry clothes on radiators. make sure when cooking you use the kitchen extractor, always use the extractor fan in the bathroom. that usually does the trick.

Condensation is caused by not heating property properly and no air flow / open some windows to prove it /turn heating on /no need to spend money / like going in bath and not opening window . Going out all day turn heating off close windows equals condensation . Laminate floors big culprit

you got to have air flow and warmth

That's poor advice. If people are out all day then no moisture will be generated by showering / bathing, cooking, breathing etc. Its excess moisture and cold walls without ventilation that causes condensation.

We sometimes have problems in our downstairs toilet in winter as its on a north facing wall. Warming up the room and reducing moisture with an absorbing dehumidifier helps.

I agree you need airflow but it needs to be dry (ish) air.

On glass you can break the surface tension by wiping the windows with a residue of washing up liquid on the cloth. This will stop the water forming on the glass but its a good idea to ensure moisture content of the house generally isn't too high.