Hilton / Living Well Gym

Anyone use recommend this gym? I like the idea of the swimming pool, but only if it doesn't get too busy.

Not been tbh. The pool looks good but from past experience of these hotel type gyms they tend not to be so great in terms of gym space and equipment. It's hard to tell from the photo's but I suspect this may be the case here.

For me it wouldn't work because it's too difficult to get to from where I live. But if it's convenient for you to travel there then that's a big plus i'd say. The distance that someone lives from the gym affects how often they attend.

I go to Virgin Broadfield Road. I've had a membership there for many years - one of the main reasons I chose it was because it allows me to train at other Virgin gyms when I'm working in different parts of the country. Of the ones I've been to around the country I think Sheffield's Virgin gym is one of the better ones. Big gym, loads of good quality equipment, lots of other stuff besides, like loads of classes, pleasant bar area downstairs with computers, and even when the car park is full it's still big enough to not have to wait ages to go on things. Good mix of machines and free weights too.

Membership isn't cheap though.

I'd say you need to consider what you want to use the gym for first of all. If it's more about the pool and other leisure facilities, then a local sports centre could be a much cheaper option and tick all the boxes. If it's just about weight training then something like PureGym is good value for money and open 24 hours.

I go running and play football, but i want a swimming option. Don't want to be surrounded by loads of other people though.

I go running and play football, but i want a swimming option. Don't want to be surrounded by loads of other people though.

Ladybower Reservoir then. You'll have it all to yourself most days! ;)

I tell you what I often do, in summer at least, I do a run over the moors that finishes off in Hathersage and go for a dip in the outdoors pool there. That's a great way to relax after a 5 or 6 mile run and on sunny days it's lovely. But it does get crowded.

Have you looked at some of the other gyms in Sheffield? How about Nuffield Health gym on Napier Street (just off the bottom of Ecclesall Road)? That's got a good sized pool and I think it's a good level of equipment in the gym. I'd imagine it's a similar price to Virgin - about £40 a month - but not sure tbh.

The only place I know with a decent pool thats quietish is ponds forge mid mornings till about 4 pm you may even get your own lane,gyms good too but forget it at busy times as its a nightmare particularly the pool its also not available many weekends and some weekdays when events are on.

Ladybower Reservoir then. You'll have it all to yourself most days! ;)

I tell you what I often do, in summer at least, I do a run over the moors that finishes off in Hathersage and go for a dip in the outdoors pool there. That's a great way to relax after a 5 or 6 mile run and on sunny days it's lovely. But it does get crowded.

Have you looked at some of the other gyms in Sheffield? How about Nuffield Health gym on Napier Street (just off the bottom of Ecclesall Road)? That's got a good sized pool and I think it's a good level of equipment in the gym. I'd imagine it's a similar price to Virgin - about £40 a month - but not sure tbh.

Not a bad shout DT. Not Sheffield (£48 ) though, for me Chessy is more accessible and cheaper (£39)

I've been to all three gyms mentioned and without any doubt Virgin Active far and away the best .