Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Demolition of old factory in Meersbrook

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-11-2005, 14:01   #1
EricaJane

Total Posts: 19
Does anyone know what is happening to the old factory/warehouses on Valley Road in Meersbrook?

They are in the process of being demolished, but I can't find any info about what will replace them - or if they are being converted into housing.

Also, any idea what is going to replace the terraced houses that have recently been knocked down on Chesterfield Rd?
21-11-2005, 14:24   #2
cgksheff

Total Posts: 22,671
Erection of 39 apartments with associated car parking.

Go to the Council Website showing the Agenda for the City Centre South and East Planning and Highways Area Board Agenda 19th September 2005 - HERE.

Click on "APPLICATIONS UNDER VARIOUS ACTS/REGULATIONS" and you will open a large .pdf document.

Look for Case Number 05/02276/REM on Page 98.

The convoluted way to find these kind of reports is to do a search on the Planning Applications page.
Find the relevant Application Number and then call 273 4215 and ask them which Committee Meeting and on what date the application was presented to.

You then have to look for the Agenda for the relevant committee meeting of that date via this page and look for the report usually in a downloadable document..

Last edited by cgksheff; 21-11-2005 at 14:27.
21-11-2005, 14:27   #3
RichF

Total Posts: 81
I've noticed that they're burning a lot of the debris on site. Is that legal? Given that three fire engines were called and the road blocked off a few days back, I think we can assume it isn't safe!
_______
you never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough...
21-11-2005, 14:29   #4
cgksheff

They are not allowed to burn debris on-site.

I can't think of the name of the relevant officer/department but if you call 273 4215 (Planning Switchboard) and they will help you find out who to talk to.
21-11-2005, 14:33   #5
RichF

Total Posts: 81
cheers I'll be walking past in an hour or so, so if they're at it again I'll give 'em a ring.
_______
you never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough...
21-11-2005, 14:59   #6
meersbrook

Total Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally posted by cgksheff
They are not allowed to burn debris on-site.

I can't think of the name of the relevant officer/department but if you call 273 4215 (Planning Switchboard) and they will help you find out who to talk to.
They've been burning stuff on-site for the majority of the past 2 weeks (maybe longer)

I've been following this site development *very* closely as we ajoin it. I'll check with the planning officer involved about the burning of debris etc. - having see them do it so much I'd (wrongly) assumed that they were allowed to do this. The fires have been perilously large / high at times, so most interested to hear more about this (i.e. where did you get the info re: they can't burn debris on site etc.?) - please PM me about it with a web link or some other form of confirmation on this if you have one - thanks.
_______
John
Website Designer & eCommerce Consultant.
mounsey.co.uk
21-11-2005, 15:04   #7
cgksheff

We had a similar situation on a development site (a couple of years ago) and, after contacting the council, an officer came out, chatted to me and confirmed that it was illegal and he was issuing them with a warning.

I cannot remember exactly who ended up coming out but my first contact was through Planning Enforcement. The officer may have been from Environmental Control.
21-11-2005, 15:12   #8
meersbrook

Quote:
We had a similar situation on a development site (a couple of years ago) and, after contacting the council, an officer came out, chatted to me and confirmed that it was illegal and he was issuing them with a warning.

I cannot remember exactly who ended up coming out but my first contact was through Planning Enforcement. The officer may have been from Environmental Control.
Thanks for this. I have just emailed the planning officer connected with this development, so he's in the loop.

I have a horrid feeling that the horse may well have bolted on this though. Reason being because although they've been having BIG fires on-site since day one of the demolition (including the ridiculous lighting of the chimney.. but that's another story) - I sense that they might now have cleared enough to not need any more fires etc. (so probably can't be retrospectively "warned" about it?)

Needless to say, if I spot any more the trusty digital camera will be coming out for "future reference"
_______
John
mounsey.co.uk
21-11-2005, 20:01   #9
Pipine

Total Posts: 886
Does anyone know if they are knocking the front of the building down (the only bit still standing now)? Would be a shame if they were as its quite nice really.. also is the house next door (which is fenced off) getting demolished too?
21-11-2005, 21:30   #10
meersbrook

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne23
Does anyone know if they are knocking the front of the building down (the only bit still standing now)? Would be a shame if they were as its quite nice really.. also is the house next door (which is fenced off) getting demolished too?
Sorry to be able to confirm, but the whole lot is coming down

(worst of all, this also includes the beautiful red brick chimney at the heart of the site)

*Sigh*

_______
John
mounsey.co.uk
21-11-2005, 23:21   #11
pberry

Total Posts: 362
Send a message via MSN to pberry Send a message via Yahoo to pberry
Quote:
Originally posted by EricaJane
Does anyone know what is happening to the old factory/warehouses on Valley Road in Meersbrook?
That's a shame. Let me guess what's going up in their place? More flats?
22-11-2005, 00:02   #12
Pipine

Total Posts: 886
Shame.. I hate bits of sheffield history being erased for some dull flat complex. Makes me really angry so I try not to think about it too much.

22-11-2005, 00:49   #13
pberry

Total Posts: 362
Send a message via MSN to pberry Send a message via Yahoo to pberry
Quote:
Originally posted by Anne23
Shame.. I hate bits of sheffield history being erased for some dull flat complex. Makes me really angry so I try not to think about it too much.

Agreed, but such is progress. You won't want to look at this photo I took of the Nag's Head, Shalesmoor, then.

Last edited by pberry; 22-12-2005 at 13:49.
22-11-2005, 01:00   #14
cgksheff

Was this the old factory in its heyday?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-...f.refno=s09867

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-...f.refno=s09868
22-11-2005, 07:06   #15
meersbrook

Quote:
Was this the old factory in its heyday?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-...f.refno=s09867

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-...f.refno=s09868
I've been trying to decide that myself (having searched the same site previously)

I came to the conclusion that this is the complex just further down the road though - directly on Chesterfield road (the one that includes the likes of Everest, Frameworks etc.) There's no longer a chimney on that site, but the orientation of it seems a closer match - still not 100% certain though.

If anyone does have any old photos of the Valley road chimney let me know - and thanks for the posts on this.

I've uploaded a (very) recent shot of the soon-to-be-demolished chimney here:

http://www.meersbrook.co.uk/valley_road_chimney.html

(more to follow soon)

John.
_______
John
mounsey.co.uk

Last edited by meersbrook; 22-11-2005 at 08:05.
22-11-2005, 11:11   #16
cgksheff

Thanks for those photos 'meersbrook'.
It is a shame that it is probably all too late now.

How can we continue to employ Planning Officers who produce one-sided reports like this:

The loss of the chimney ....... will, in visual terms, be an improvement to the area, because they are in poor condition, which currently has a detrimental impact on the area.

If they are "in poor condition" what is wrong with asking the developer to renovate the chimney as a feature???

This implication of it having a "detrimental impact" could easily have been confirmed or refuted with a door-to-door survey.

You will also notice the typical way in which they cover themselves by not referring to the chimney alone!
22-11-2005, 11:21   #17
meersbrook

Quote:
Thanks for those photos 'meersbrook'.
It is a shame that it is probably all too late now.

How can we continue to employ Planning Officers who produce one-sided reports like this:

The loss of the chimney ....... will, in visual terms, be an improvement to the area, because they are in poor condition, which currently has a detrimental impact on the area.

If they are "in poor condition" what is wrong with asking the developer to renovate the chimney as a feature???

This implication of it having a "detrimental impact" could easily have been confirmed or refuted with a door-to-door survey.

You will also notice the typical way in which they cover themselves by not referring to the chimney alone!
As far as I can see, the chimney looks solid as a rock - they used to build things properly and to last etc..

Thanks for commenting on this thread. Although we have been kept informed of the whole process (we wrote to the council, for what it's worth..) that's the first I've seen / read of the report. If you could remind me of the route on the sheffield.gov site to read the whole thing (assuming this is possible?) - cheers again, John.
_______
John
mounsey.co.uk
22-11-2005, 11:28   #18
cgksheff

Quote:
Originally posted by meersbrook
If you could remind me of the route on the sheffield.gov site to read the whole thing (assuming this is possible?)
There is a link and instructions in my first reply on this thread.
22-11-2005, 12:05   #19
meersbrook

Quote:
There is a link and instructions in my first reply on this thread.
Cheers for reminding me about that. Have downloaded the PDF - and better still have put some sound bites from the Council's "Decision" onto the photo page here:

http://www.meersbrook.co.uk/valley_road_chimney.html

Needless to say, 'twas I who'd raised the original comment to them re: "But what about the chimney...?"

*sigh*
_______
John
mounsey.co.uk
22-11-2005, 12:17   #20
Tim42

Total Posts: 214
Sheffield ****y council in action once again. Striving to spend your money to make sheffield into one enormouse bland legoland characterless dump.
Reply To Topic