Which was the best pub that closed in Sheffield and why?

I wish I had gone to the Old Toad, just missed it in the 80s. The road it was on is still called Hoyle Street by the way.

What was that real ale pub on the top of Spital Hill in the 90s called? - it had Bar Billiards, and the guy who had it always had classical music playing....

Remember it well. It used to serve Clark's beers from Wakefield.

Oh and the Matilda Tavern. I still don't understand why someone doesn't buy this and reopen it - a stone's throw from the Rutland Arms, surrounded by student flats, overlooking the river - it'd do the business if it joined the real ale circuit![/Q

I agree and also re-open the old Dodgers pub (forgot its real name) to create a C.I.Q circuit starting with 1) Sheff Tap 2)Howard 3) Globe 4) 5) Red Lion

( 6) Roebuck ?) 7) Rutland 8) Matilda 9) Royal Standard 10) Dodgers .

"dodgers" was Norfolk Arms (l think):suspect:

the cannon was great, u could buy just about anything u wanted in there.

I used to like the pump just off the moor for a pre match tipple

Has the High Greave closed?

The high greave nr ecclesfield has closed and i believe its going to be a funeral directors.

The high greave nr ecclesfield has closed and i believe its going to be a funeral directors.

Changing casks for caskets then:roll:

the cannon, market tavern, barleycorn all great pubs

I think it was called something like the Golden Perch. I remember the Marston's beers and the landlord's rather delightful wife.

You haven't posted with this username for a while, you had too much pop!:hihi:

The Cannon.circa 1979 on.Friday nights in the Cellar bar.My first experience of the pub culture so I didnt know any better!! Just met friends there.Should have realised eventually when I got my nose broken on the stairs.One of my friends was once carried out on a ladder!!How my lungs survived a year or so in there I've no idea.

I remember coming of the pub one Christmas Eve(Even the Cannon chucked you out at 3pm in those days!!!) and a group of Sheffields finest was throwing everyone and I mean everyone into the back of a van.(Baseball bats and all).

In those days when you walked into a bar and got served straightaway it was usually because there had just been a punch up.

Whenever I hear Rhythm of the rain it takes me straight back there.It always had a decent jukebox.

Ah happy memories.

the prince of wales division st, the royal oak at intake, the grennel mower lowedges because i was the best barman any of them had not forgetting the woodseats hotel when i was the landlord

When were you at the POW ?