Sheffield Ghost Stories & Sightings

she only said ..... bleedin :hihi: . The weird thing is she had a stroke a few years before she died and she could ony say no and bloody hell bless her.

There is no such thing as Spring Heeled Jack Its just something they made up to scare kids, like the Boogie Man or Michael Jackson :D

Sorry to correct you but springheel jack actually did exist,my mum lived in Scotland St area and she had personal experience of him, as did her family.He was a well known person in the area and used connecting cellars under their homes to evade the police

Have you heard of the one on Bunting Nook near Graves Park?

Its on some site somewhere.:thumbsup:

I was born only a hundred yards from Bunting Nook, the story is well known in the area.There was a house at the top , home built in the 18th century, much later it became a home for nurses who worked at the hospital nearby.However originally it was the home of a young couple,the wife was pregnant and stared in labour, the young husband rode to get help but going down Bunting Nook his horse stumbled and threw him, breaking his necK.The wife and child died through lack of help and it is the young mans ghost that has been seen.Many people have reported sighting.There is also a ghost who haunts the end of Graves Park next to Bunting Nook, said to be the Green Man

It's not a case of being open minded, I was when I was younger. I have been to haunted places, seen things that scared me and everything else that goes with it. Like most children I was fascinated with these things.

I won't be going with them as I live in Chicago now. I used to post (when i live in Sheffield) and look in every now and again.

There is proof they don't exist. PLENTY of proof. It always amazes me that people are willing to believe the most unbelievable things over the more viable alternative. Ask yourselves why.

No what YOU should do is, do a little reading. Everybody searching for bizarre explanations to simple things in this thread should. Look at the links I posted, look at http://www.randi.org (BTW Randi offers 1 million dollars to anybody who can prove their photos or claims... NOBODY has won it, why?), there are hundreds of sites that debunk (as I have done) these idiots. Ollie I can say with 100% certainty that those picture were faked. Anybody with a digital camera of scanner, look at your own photos and see if you can find where each block of colour is so regulated when you zoom in. You won't be able to, it does not happen.. you have more chance of winning the lottery than "pixels" or blocks of colour happening naturally like that. It's been digitally altered. I can say with complete certainty. And there are plenty of other people out there doing the same, to keep people beliving. It's not rocket science, they made a mistake thinking nobody with a clue would look at them. They are taking the **** out of people like you. In private these people laugh at people like you, how they conned you in to believing. Like the students who did the crop circles, they laught at you people over a pint in the pub.

Millions of these picture have been proved to be fake. If you want to go through life being lied to, and be so gullible you believe (or do not discount the possibility) then that's fine. But be aware you are self delusional, that will never get you anywhere, it WILL allow people to take advantage of you, and there are plenty of people in this World trying to take advantage of you. That's the best advice I can give you, as somebody who once took advantage of people whole blindly follow, trust and beleive.

If people take one thing away from this, it's NOT harmless fun. Perpetuating these myths is not just something we should take flippantly and allow people to get away with. It DOES damage, indirectly, but it does damage. BIG damage. Trust me.

And people ask yourself why the paranormal people have not put up a decent argument. Because they know dam well they have been ousted as liars.

Knowledge is power.

well I have had personal experience of being haunted, I am not delusional, nor are my children, I have never sought recognition about our hauntings although one of our friends reported them to someone and they were published in The Sheffield Book of Ghosts,I refused to be interviewed , not because none of it happened, but because I wanted to protect myself and children from adverse publicity and people like you.

However, how does that explain how people see/hear the same thing on different occasions and have matching accounts of what happened? Sometimes to quite some detail, for example the clothing a supposed ghost is wearing.

There are a number of dull explanations that immediately come to mind.

1. Most likely is that they don't actually have a match even though they think they do. They all experience totally different natural things but combine experiences into a false match when comparing. Humans like patterns and dislike conflict.

2. Environmental conditions cause a reproducible phenomena.

3. They have consciously or subconsciously read the environment.

4. They have an outside reference.

5. They are mentally ill.

But the risen dead? I think not.

well I have had personal experience of being haunted, I am not delusional, nor are my children,

I'm afraid that unless you realise and accept that you are simply mistaken, then you are delusional. There's nothing wrong in being fooled, it happens to all of us whether we like it or not, no matter how clever or stupid we are.

Staying deluded by choice is another thing altogether, and it would be a shame to knowingly choose to handicap your children with the delusion.

There are a number of dull explanations that immediately come to mind.

1. Most likely is that they don't actually have a match even though they think they do. They all experience totally different natural things but combine experiences into a false match when comparing. Humans like patterns and dislike conflict.

2. Environmental conditions cause a reproducible phenomena.

3. They have consciously or subconsciously read the environment.

4. They have an outside reference.

5. They are mentally ill.

But the risen dead? I think not.

Good points Tony. Not sure about the last one though, my question was about multiple sightings of the same thing.

There is also a ghost who haunts the end of Graves Park next to Bunting Nook, said to be the Green Man

Isn't there a pelican crossing there?

I have had another look, still can't see owt, sorry. I suppose many of these sightings depend on your point of view, if you believe, then you may see things others like me will not see, if you know what I mean.

I don't believe in it, I just find the stories entertaining.

I have outlined the ghost in the image the best I can, its pretty much exactly how I interpret the face to look like. I have studied the image carefully, and discovered another ghost at the bottom of the hallway!

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4387/arghitsaghost.jpg

Edited by Zepp

Good points Tony. Not sure about the last one though, my question was about multiple sightings of the same thing.

Isn't there a pelican crossing there?

I don't believe in it, I just find the stories entertaining.

I have outlined the ghost in the image the best I can, its pretty much exactly how I interpret the face to look like. I have studied the image carefully, and discovered another ghost at the bottom of the hallway!

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4387/arghitsaghost.jpg

CLASSIC! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

we spotted some thing weird at our fire

...We do seek out and make faces though, do we all interpret the same face or does it differ from person to person?

Depends on the information in the image and the predisposition of the viewer. Objects, light and shadow can be arranged to form images that trigger similar perceptions in different people. More ambiguous stimuli might be perceived in a number of ways, according to the information presented to the viewer (viewers might make out a face, but the details in individual reports may differ unless or until someone points out 'consistent' features which then influence perception).

Face perception is rough and rapid by necessity, though. If, like our ancestors, you find yourself in a fight or flight situation, where survival might depend on spotting a camouflaged enemy, perception favours false positives: it's beneficial to perceive a face where none exists when the alternative (failing to make out the face-like pattern in the camouflage) might mean you end up as lunch.

They say that stocks bridge bypass is supposed to be a bit scary..

well I have had personal experience of being haunted, I am not delusional, nor are my children,

If you believe you've been haunted then yes, you are delusional. Just accept you have an overactive imagination and that attributing incidents that have a rational explanation to ghoulies and ghosties is a bit silly.