Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Save our Libraries Day - 5th February

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Topic Closed

29-01-2011, 13:41   #1
Bookmaster2

Total Posts: 27
It is National Save our Libraries Day on Saturday 5th February. There are proposals to cut Sheffield Libraries budget by almost 30% over 3 years. If you care about public libraries come to Sheffield Central Library for 11am on Saturday for Shhh! Further details at http://sinto.wetpaint.com/page/Save+our+Libraries

Follow @lwfabf, #shh4sheflib and ReTweet

Last edited by Andy; 05-02-2011 at 09:00. Reason: Fixed link

29-01-2011, 15:14   #2
bob1

Total Posts: 170
we'll be there! The libraries in Sheffield (and in general!) are fantastic

29-01-2011, 15:27   #3
The Oil Man

Total Posts: 96
I love libraries, I remember going to Highfield library on the the tram from Heeley Bottom, 2 old pence, brill

29-01-2011, 15:44   #4
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,266
Try this link, it works: Save our Libraries

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
_______
UK debt now £1,920 billion. It was £700 billion in 2010. Tories, who lied they were paying it down, close to TRIPLING it. Safe with economy?
- Jan 2017

30-01-2011, 18:48   #5
Hayley1

Total Posts: 3,024
is it just the central library, or can you show support at your local one? (other than obviously using it)

30-01-2011, 19:02   #6
Bookmaster2

The Shh-In at Central is the only event I know of but please go to your local library if you wish. Peraps you could print out some of the posters from the website or Phil Bradley's "war" posters and put them up. NB library staff may not be able to give permission to display these posters but talk to them and anyway it's your public library - not the councils!

30-01-2011, 19:39   #7
tzijlstra

Total Posts: 12,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oil Man View Post
I love libraries, I remember going to Highfield library on the the tram from Heeley Bottom, 2 old pence, brill
When is the last time you went though? People want to save the libraries but not use them. Where does that leave the council?

I am not saying you don't, but I get annoyed with the folks that will happily say libraries need saving without having been for years. If you think they need saving, get your behind in gear and use them!

30-01-2011, 19:47   #8
Debk

Total Posts: 700
Plenty of people use my local one at Ecclesall - there is always a queue and on Saturdays its heaving!

30-01-2011, 19:50   #9
KenH

Total Posts: 4,395
If there was ever a better example of where public money could be saved than our local library, then I would like to see it.

It is a very small library that only really caters for old people and small children, yet it is often manned by three people. When they get within 25 minutes of the closing time they start to fasten the shutters and generally to make people very unwelcome. This library could easily be run by a single person, thereby saving a fortune.
_______
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the communist party.

30-01-2011, 19:58   #10
The Oil Man

Total Posts: 96
Yes, you are correct, it`s like all the things that disappear over the years, don`t moan when it`s gone, it will be too late, we must all start to use em or lose em, I will start tomorrow.

30-01-2011, 20:17   #11
go4it

Total Posts: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
If there was ever a better example of where public money could be saved than our local library, then I would like to see it.

It is a very small library that only really caters for old people and small children, yet it is often manned by three people. When they get within 25 minutes of the closing time they start to fasten the shutters and generally to make people very unwelcome. This library could easily be run by a single person, thereby saving a fortune.
I was in the Central library the other day. About 4/5 members of staff just in the main section on the ground floor. The library was busy, but people were using the internet instead of actually taking out books.

I understand that the library is a 'free' method of using the internet for some people, but is this what libraries are about? I've said before that the council needs to let out library space to private companies to run cafes - the computers should be part of this cafe rather than the actual library.

I agree that staffing must be reduced. There are self-scanning machines for taking out books.

30-01-2011, 20:36   #12
A.B.Yaffle

Total Posts: 3,134
I will try to attend on Saturday. Can I just point out a slight error on the website though? It says that there are no plans to close any Sheffield libraries. The council is wanting to close the children's library at Hillsborough, which is an extremely well-used library.

31-01-2011, 09:03   #13
Bookmaster2

Quote:

Only old people and small children!! And one person on their own responsible for looking after everyone, dealing with queries, answering phones, lunch breaks etc?

31-01-2011, 12:34   #14
RosyRat

Total Posts: 2,264
I'll be there. I worked for Sheffield Libraries through the 80s and 90s when the Tories cut the Rate Support Grant to Sheffield at the same time as trying to repeal the 1964 Public Libraries Act. We bought no new books for 3 years and closed 6 branch libraries. It took years for the library service to recover. I never want to see those days return and it looks as though they will, with a vengeance.

For those people who see no value in public libraries, I'd look hard and long at your lifestyle. If freedom of knowledge and information, self improvement and education isn't high on your list of priorities, that's fine. But you don't have the right to deny others the opportunity to experience them.

31-01-2011, 18:25   #15
mikeyproduct

Total Posts: 91
Quote:
Poet, broadcaster and comedian Ian McMillan has been banned from appearing at a childrens' creative writing workshop by Sheffield City Council, over fears he might make "political comments".
http://sheffieldpolitics.com/2011/01...ical-comments/

31-01-2011, 18:29   #16
espadrille

Total Posts: 6,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyproduct View Post
Well of course it would be inappropriate to make these comments at a Children's event wouldn't it so looks as though the right decision was made, though how they knew he may make it political it doesn't make clear.
_______
The Asperger Training Company

www.theaspergertrainingcompany.co.uk

31-01-2011, 18:36   #17
laineyiow

Total Posts: 2,736
On the Island they are closing 9 of our 11 libraries. A week last Saturday there was a protest in our main library where people went and took out as many books as they were able and emptied the library. They started with the Criminal Section as they feel that local councils are committing a Crime in closing libraries. Our Council are wanting volunteers to run the local libraries but at the same time are saying that the buildings will have to close - so how can volunteers run a library from a closed building!!!
_______
Jive for today; tomorrow and the next day as well!

31-01-2011, 18:37   #18
Vague_Boy

Total Posts: 6,038
Quote:
Councilor's bloated salaries, inflation busting pay rises and index linked pensions could do with a bit of a pruning.

Unless of course you feel that institutionalized incompetence is something that should be rewarded at the expense of services?
_______
“There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved.” (Ludwig von Mises, 1949)

31-01-2011, 19:06   #19
algy

Total Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4it View Post
I agree that staffing must be reduced. There are self-scanning machines for taking out books.
And as we all know, that's all the staff do.

31-01-2011, 19:18   #20
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzijlstra View Post
When is the last time you went though? People want to save the libraries but not use them. Where does that leave the council?

I am not saying you don't, but I get annoyed with the folks that will happily say libraries need saving without having been for years. If you think they need saving, get your behind in gear and use them!
I usually visit my local library (Hillsborough) at least once a week. I visit the central library perhaps once a month. I've used libraries for 60 years, my mother introduced me to them when I was small, and now my pre-school age grandchildren visit their library. With all the improved technology available, it is possible there could be some efficiency savings, such as automatic scanners, but I'd hate to see libraries disappear. Free books, and now free computer access are things we all should value.

I'll try and make it on Saturday.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha

Topic Closed