IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Any ex Firth Park School lads n lassies out there?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

16-03-2010, 10:47   #401
martS5

Total Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropout View Post
So. So far nobody has come forward with any famous or well known Firth Park School pupils from the 1970s classes. How about some of the teachers?
We know about John Sherwood...Olympic medal winner...but are any of the others now famous or well known?
Gordon Hobson was there from 70 to 74,played pro football for Lincoln City and Southampton among other clubs
17-03-2010, 08:53   #402
spudgun

Total Posts: 1,452
On a different note, a few of my mates have got there records from firth park with all there reports and old photos in. How long are they kept for and how would you go about getting them?
_______
If you want to know Just ask
17-03-2010, 14:13   #403
janie-m

Total Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudgun View Post
On a different note, a few of my mates have got there records from firth park with all there reports and old photos in. How long are they kept for and how would you go about getting them?
If you ring the school office and ask them for it, I think I went and got mine a few years ago. I'd ring and ask first as I seem to remember going back a few days later when they'd found them.
18-03-2010, 16:24   #404
tara

Total Posts: 1,851
How far back do they go.
Im wondering if I would be allowed to recieve them on behalf of my sons father who is no longer with us. (passed away)
He attended the North Building and left around 1978.
I beleive he was at school with a relation of yours Janie m. Her name is Tracey, I have forgotten her second name.
_______
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
30-03-2010, 02:46   #405
KeithA

Total Posts: 1
I went to FPGS from 1960 to 1969. I remember there being a lad called Sage in our class but another class had a lad called Onions. Spike went and got Onions out of his class and brought into our class because he said he always wanted Sage and Onions together. Typical of Spike's humour.

I also remember at the end of my first year, the leaving students (5th formers?) built a very brightly coloured doll like figure called an "erg" and put it on the top of the tower. It made quite a sight and stayed there all day.
31-03-2010, 22:30   #406
L4dyF1F1

Total Posts: 11
i went to Firth Park School n left in 1997, for a media studies project we covered the story on the old Brushes building. There has been many stories relating to the 'grey lady' which our group found out was a maid who killed herself from top of the tower. it belongs to the Booth family. Apparently she got pregnant by one of the family members by an affair. Its such a shame it got burnt down it held so much history n memories too!! The 'North' buildin on Fir Croft (?) has changed so much since ive lived up Shiregreen n i wouldnt recognise it now.
01-04-2010, 13:43   #407
Gormenghast
Earl of Groan

Total Posts: 3,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithA View Post
I went to FPGS from 1960 to 1969. I remember there being a lad called Sage in our class but another class had a lad called Onions. Spike went and got Onions out of his class and brought into our class because he said he always wanted Sage and Onions together. Typical of Spike's humour.

I also remember at the end of my first year, the leaving students (5th formers?) built a very brightly coloured doll like figure called an "erg" and put it on the top of the tower. It made quite a sight and stayed there all day.
I was there 60 to 65 and Peter Onions was in my class. Sadly he died - this is from the 1967 school mag.

"We heard with very deep regret of the death of Peter Onions (1960-66) in early April at Lodge Moor Hospital. Peter took A levels in French and Russian in 1966 and had started his career in the Attercliffe Branch of the National Provincial Bank.

Have you seen this site K?

http://www.firthparkgrammarschool.co.uk/index.htm
01-04-2010, 15:20   #408
mijco

Total Posts: 72
hi you old lads from 1960-69 my brother went to red caps name of chris evans i think he got expelled something to do with changing rooms going up in smoke anyone remember
01-04-2010, 17:32   #409
scallyann

Total Posts: 83
does any 1 remember chris clifton?? 1970s ish

Last edited by scallyann; 07-04-2010 at 17:20.
11-04-2010, 17:04   #410
fallen angel

Total Posts: 128
[QUOTE=dongle;5842331]i left in 88 and the names of penfold and jesus jones were around years before then,
i had a brother who left in 91 whats your surname

I also left in 88 , and was also in Joseph at the crucible
would love to hear from people who also left at the same year .....
11-04-2010, 20:26   #411
GraceLeah

[QUOTE=fallen angel;6122579]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongle View Post
i left in 88 and the names of penfold and jesus jones were around years before then,
i had a brother who left in 91 whats your surname

I also left in 88 , and was also in Joseph at the crucible
would love to hear from people who also left at the same year .....
I left in June 75 and I believe who you refer to as Penfold was in fact Mr Jones the french teacher (I watched Danger Mouse with my son and can see the similarities as to why he was given that soubriquet). I was taught by both these teachers every year of my time at Firth Park. Hate to contradict you guys out there who left after my time but Mr Jones (french) was at first known as "Samantha" Jones which later got shortened to "Sam" Jones due to his rather effeminate manners. When you later pupils changed it to Penfold I have no idea but Mr Jones (biology) was known as Jesus Jones even during my time there and can confirm that the both of them were well established when I started. My son later followed me to to FP as well and he's now 32.
11-04-2010, 21:10   #412
GraceLeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudgun View Post
I left in 78 but wasn`t in F1/2. I was in H2. You mention a lad called Goddard. Wasn`t he the one who was really good on the violin along with his sister. I`m sure i can remember them playing at morning assembly. Then again it could have been when i was at beck road as they both went there as well.
Hi dear ,
It was Roy Goddard who played the violin but none of his sisters played any instruments as far as I'm aware but the whole family loved music - mainly heavy rock. I remember Roy was writing concertos at 12/13 years old. Bob (he played the guitar), June, Gail, Vernell and Roy were all really very clever. Vernell was my best mate throughout my time at FP and prior to that Beck Road, and at home so I know them all pretty well, I used to live just down the road from them. My brother Keith Burns was in the same year as Roy throughout his school days. I've not long ago got back in touch with Vernell after all these years (we both are 51 now), through Facebook which I am happy really about and she tells me that Roy is now doing well, married and living in the USA.
11-04-2010, 22:48   #413
spudgun

Total Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceLeah View Post

Hi dear ,
It was Roy Goddard who played the violin but none of his sisters played any instruments as far as I'm aware but the whole family loved music - mainly heavy rock. I remember Roy was writing concertos at 12/13 years old. Bob (he played the guitar), June, Gail, Vernell and Roy were all really very clever. Vernell was my best mate throughout my time at FP and prior to that Beck Road, and at home so I know them all pretty well, I used to live just down the road from them. My brother Keith Burns was in the same year as Roy throughout his school days. I've not long ago got back in touch with Vernell after all these years (we both are 51 now), through Facebook which I am happy really about and she tells me that Roy is now doing well, married and living in the USA.
Is your brother keith younger than you as the name rings a bell
_______
If you want to know Just ask
12-04-2010, 09:49   #414
GraceLeah

Yes he is, 2 years younger than me. I'm Christine and we were both known for our swimming so that should give you extra information. Who are you? Maybe I will remember you too.
13-04-2010, 14:39   #415
0114saz1985

Total Posts: 86
Hi. I once read up on the history of the brushes building. Apparently its haunted by a Mrs Mary Booth. She lived there lots of years ago with her family, but was having an affair with some horseman. When the affair was revealed, her lover was murdered in longley park. She then hung herself from the tower at brushes and her ghost is known as either the white or grey lady. sorry i cant be more specific, it was a fair few years ago when i researched it.
15-04-2010, 10:46   #416
locket

Total Posts: 1,065
Send a message via AIM to locket Send a message via Yahoo to locket
fallen angel
i left in 91 whats your brothers name?
15-04-2010, 11:24   #417
Scottyb

Total Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Twinkle* View Post
My boyfriend left Firth Park school in 2000

What's his name? I left in 2000 also
15-04-2010, 11:43   #418
fallen angel

Total Posts: 128
To Locket

Hi my brother is older than I ,, and I am 37 , so he would have left firth park around 1980 i think ...
15-04-2010, 20:41   #419
locket

Total Posts: 1,065
Send a message via AIM to locket Send a message via Yahoo to locket
sorry didnt notice the quote in your post
21-04-2010, 23:06   #420
mokoflynn

Total Posts: 2
Eyup KeithA and Gormenghast, I've just come across these postings. I was there 1959-1964 when it was a proper school (boys only) (wait for the shouts of derision!). Do you have any contacts of ex pupils of that time? Can you exchange some tales of that time? Cheers.
Reply To Topic