Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Anybody know if Pigs Lane is still there? It was a dirt track that ran from Birley Spa Lane up to Main Street, it went past the old Rainbow Forge Junior School playing fields.

It most certainly is still there. You can just see it on Google Earth.

In the old days it was used for carrying blades on wagons pulled by donkeys, from the grinding wheels at shirebrook to the factories on Main Street.

I know the lane that you are talking about and I can see the top of it from Main Street and the bottom of it from Birley Spa on Google Street View, but I never knew they called it Pigs Lane. Street View and Streetmap certainly don't recognise the name.

I remember Pig's Lane, we used to walk up and down it to and from school. I left Rainbow Forge in about 1980 to go to Carter Lodge. I loved Rainbow Forge and was in Mr Vernon's class. He used to inflate pig's bladders and display them on the wall like they were a work of art. The school would be closed down today on health and safety grounds. Pig's lane was so magical. It had a little stream of water running down it from what I can remember. Oh sweet memories.

I remember Pig's Lane, we used to walk up and down it to and from school. I left Rainbow Forge in about 1980 to go to Carter Lodge. I loved Rainbow Forge and was in Mr Vernon's class. He used to inflate pig's bladders and display them on the wall like they were a work of art. The school would be closed down today on health and safety grounds. Pig's lane was so magical. It had a little stream of water running down it from what I can remember. Oh sweet memories.

I was at rainbow in the 1960's and I remember that little stream that ran down the middle of the lane. We used to make little dams. I remember a hut at the bottom that was used by the Hackenthorpe Gardening Club. There was a house just after it on Birley Spa Lane where a Builder called Grey lived.

We used to play up Pigs Lane in the 60's, there was a bank on the left hand side that gave us acces to Rainbow Forge school fields, we'd get thru the fence and then scrump a few pears from the back of the school, then sit at the top of the bank, seem to remember running down it and up the opposite bank. My mother was a cleaner at Rainbow and after work one evening came up Pigs Lane to bring me home, we were with a couple of lasses on the bank and fields and for some reason thought we were "manking" as she put it, maybe we were but they were fun days back then.

We used to play up Pigs Lane in the 60's, there was a bank on the left hand side that gave us acces to Rainbow Forge school fields, we'd get thru the fence and then scrump a few pears from the back of the school, then sit at the top of the bank, seem to remember running down it and up the opposite bank. My mother was a cleaner at Rainbow and after work one evening came up Pigs Lane to bring me home, we were with a couple of lasses on the bank and fields and for some reason thought we were "manking" as she put it, maybe we were but they were fun days back then.

I remember the hole in the fence too. We used to go up there, a big gang of us. It was very private a kind of bolt hole away from "the grown up's.

No one could see you on the school field. Great for a crafty fag or "manking about". I remember some of the names that used to gather. I'll not use there first names but they were: Driver, Watson, Norton ,Payne, Pixley, Whitey, Darcy, Townsends E & R, Ago, Jacko and many more I can't remember oh and me Burky. Only one to watch out for was the caretaker & the "big lads" who would rob you you of your "fags and "money" and give you good kicking. You know who you are! B**O, C*****E M***N, S******D, S****S. :hihi:

Does anyone remember the Cousins family that lived on delves avenue?? :-)

You must know me Lostrider, Baz Glossop, my sister was Pat and my dad used to be the caretaker at Rainbow Forge in the 60's before I joined up, I used to knock about with Billy Brown, Mick Hall, Kev Butcher, John Gilliver, Ian Burkinshaw, Jean Cotham, well remember the townsend girls, and know most of the names you mentioned, Ago an old pal of mine Dave Payne we were all up pigs Lane at one time or another, don't recall you thoug, wats your surname.

Baz

Does anyone remember the Cousins family that lived on delves avenue?? :-)

Yes, they lived on the oppsoite side of the road to me.

I think David is a tatooist, and of course everyone remembers Sam, he used to hang around with our group. Always good for a laugh he didnt half get up to some stunts. He would do anything you dared him to do. If anybody made any remarks about Sam while he was with us, they got a good kicking. Any idea what happened to Sam, I haven't seen him for over 35 years.

You must know me Lostrider, Baz Glossop, my sister was Pat and my dad used to be the caretaker at Rainbow Forge in the 60's before I joined up, I used to knock about with Billy Brown, Mick Hall, Kev Butcher, John Gilliver, Ian Burkinshaw, Jean Cotham, well remember the townsend girls, and know most of the names you mentioned, Ago an old pal of mine Dave Payne we were all up pigs Lane at one time or another, don't recall you thoug, wats your surname.

Baz

Hi Barry, of course I remember you. I think you went to a reunion at The Angel at Ridgeway didn't you. I think you were a year older than me.

Have a look at these old photos, see if you remember anyone.

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx230/lostrider/Old%20Photos/

You might need to use a password on this album. Just use : lostrider

Yes I remember your family, I was in the same class as Marilyn at Birley Spa.

Thanks for the Pics, I didn't recognise any one though I do know Ian Phipps and in the last school photo is that John Cockayne 6th from the right stood to your right? I have a photo of Ian and John took when we were at Fox House camping during school days, I'll try to get it uploaded.

Baz