More hypocrisy from the Archbishop

There are plenty of CEO's getting ridiculous salaries in the millions you could pick on, plenty of bankers, plenty of rampant capitalists, plenty of establishment figures with nothing but contempt for the working man; but these seem to escape your censure every time.

I can't help but wonder why you would chose to pick on Archbishop Welby, a man who's only mistake is to venture an opinion and shine a light on matters which needed highlighting, and who actually wants to help the vulnerable and the working poor.

Heaven knows there are few enough influential people fighting that battle, yet when they do they get shot down in flames like this. What's the matter with you?

You are actually helping poverty and injustice to thrive by not giving your support to people like Archbishop Welby when they try to help. He isn't perfect. Nobody is, but at least he tries to do good and has your best interests at heart.

I fail to understand why you continue to give succour to your oppressors who care nothing for you, or your wellbeing, and trample all over you. They must be laughing at your stupidity all the way to the bank. Where was your outrage after the crash which they caused? And which led us into 'austerity' and to where we are now? They are the one's who should be the subject of your ire, they are the ones you should be dissecting.

Edited by Anna B

There are plenty of CEO's getting ridiculous salaries in the millions you could pick on, plenty of bankers, plenty of rampant capitalists, plenty of establishment figures with nothing but contempt for the working man; but these seem to escape your censure every time.

I can't help but wonder why you would chose to pick on Archbishop Welby, a man who's only mistake is to venture an opinion and shine a light on matters which needed highlighting, and who actually wants to help the vulnerable and the working poor.

Heaven knows there are few enough influential people fighting that battle, yet when they do they get shot down in flames like this. What's the matter with you?

You are actually helping poverty and injustice to thrive by not giving your support to people like Archbishop Welby when they try to help. He isn't perfect. Nobody is, but at least he tries to do good and has your best interests at heart.

I fail to understand why you continue to give succour to your oppressors who care nothing for you, or your wellbeing, and trample all over you. They must be laughing at your stupidity all the way to the bank. Where was your outrage after the crash which they caused? And which led us into 'austerity' and to where we are now? They are the one's who should be the subject of your ire, they are the ones you should be dissecting.

These people aren't telling everyone else not to do it..the AB is saying "you shouldn't do" this when his organisation is making money on the back of it...do you not see the double standards here?

These people aren't telling everyone else not to do it..the AB is saying "you shouldn't do" this when his organisation is making money on the back of it...do you not see the double standards here?

No, they've only ruined people's lives, so that's alright. Let's not criticise them...

No, they've only ruined people's lives, so that's alright. Let's not criticise them...

Oh but many, including myself have criticises bankers & high salaried Chief Executives in other threads over the years but this thread is about the hypocritical attitude & stand of Justin Welby.

So let's deao with one issue / thread at a time but if it makes you happy, then I'm happy to lump Welby in with the bankers.

You're trying to deflect.. you obviously can't defend the Archbishop....

I have zero interest in supporting Welby when he's decrying the very things he used to do and failing to acknowledge that. I also generally tend to assume that people who are so blinkered as to beleive in unsubstantiated sky pixies and then to require other people to follow the teachings of these non existent sky pixies as being rather short of critical thinking skills...

You're trying to deflect.. you obviously can't defend the Archbishop....

I can, and I have. All the way through this thread. Post 46 for example.

In your opinion Should I be defending the Archbishop? Or the Church of England? Or Justin Welby? (3 different things.)

Or the message?

Funny... that has hardly got a mention. People have been too busy trying to assassinate the messenger, as usual, rather than pay attention to the truth he speaks.

In your opinion Should I be defending the Archbishop? Or the Church of England? Or Justin Welby? (3 different things.)

Or the message?

Funny... that has hardly got a mention. People have been too busy trying to assassinate the messenger, as usual, rather than pay attention to the truth he speaks.

So hypocrisy is OK then?.Ex banker who is now the head of a non tax paying entity with £7 billion in assets criticises others for not paying enough tax...and you want to defend him...? He also thinks that zero hour contracts are wrong...guess which organisation uses them?

Edited by truman

People have been too busy trying to assassinate the messenger, as usual, rather than pay attention to the truth he speaks.

That's because there were problems and mistruths in his message.

If he'd been clear in his original speech, and held up his hand to the mistakes he made in his previous speech (Wonga), then it wouldn't have been so much of an issue.

But when you're laying into the likes of Amazon, but you're an investor, it just makes him look a fool, repeating the same mistake as last time.

Or the message?

The title of the thread is "More hypocrisy from the Archbishop" It's not about the contents of his message much as you would like the thread to drift that way...

I could be Jesus himself saying it. You would still find ways to call even him a hypocrite.

I could be Jesus himself saying it. You would still find ways to call even him a hypocrite.

I thought Saint Jeremy was JC.