Sheffield Forum

Cycle Lane past station

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

21-06-2018, 21:56   #1
Jamesy65

Total Posts: 2
Has anyone else noticed the total disregard that pedestrians have for the cycle lane opposite Sheffield station. I spent some time working near there recently and was shocked at the way pedestrians blocked the lane. Apart from one idiot all cyclists approached the area around the crossing with exaggerated caution. Without this pedestrians would have been flying all over the place! On two occasions I even saw cyclists abused by the pedestrians for using the cycle lane. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.
22-06-2018, 08:08   #2
Bargepole23

Total Posts: 1,453
If you mean Paternoster Row then couldn't agree more. I cycle that way each weekday evening and pedestrians stroll out gawping at their phones or looking the wrong way most days. It's also a bus and taxi lane.
23-06-2018, 10:54   #3
WalkleyIan

Total Posts: 1,383
Completely useless design that means both pedestrians and cyclists who want to cross to the station (opposite the tap) have to stand in the bike lane blocking the route for anyone passing through. In an attempt to make everything look "nice" the only indication that its a cycle lane is a slightly different coloured brick and a few tiny signs. Further round on Shoreham St there is a section by the workstation which constantly has cars or vans parked on it. At least that will be dealt with by the new TRO to crack down on pavement parking in the city centre
23-06-2018, 21:48   #4
Resident

Total Posts: 4,224
The irony of cyclists moaning about people disregarding the rules......
_______
As a child I had an imaginary friend, then I grew up and stopped going to church.
24-06-2018, 10:04   #5
WalkleyIan

Total Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
I'm complaining as a pedestrian and a car driver ... it's not mutually exclusive with cycling.
24-06-2018, 11:15   #6
teecee75

Total Posts: 171
Pedestrians always have the right of way, phones or not.
25-06-2018, 19:47   #7
RootsBooster

Total Posts: 11,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecee75 View Post
Pedestrians always have the right of way, phones or not.
What makes you so sure about that?

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 19:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy65 View Post
Has anyone else noticed the total disregard that pedestrians have for the cycle lane opposite Sheffield station. I spent some time working near there recently and was shocked at the way pedestrians blocked the lane. Apart from one idiot all cyclists approached the area around the crossing with exaggerated caution. Without this pedestrians would have been flying all over the place! On two occasions I even saw cyclists abused by the pedestrians for using the cycle lane. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.
I've found that most pedestrians don't acknowledge cycle paths across the whole of the city centre. In a morning you often see cyclists having to ride on the footpath because there are so many pedestrians on the cycle path.
_______
I tried getting blood out of a stone once, it was like trying to get a straight answer from a theist.

"No shoe can steal my secrets. They were just shoes" -Pilot
25-06-2018, 22:06   #8
Cyclone

Total Posts: 71,512
I routinely come across pedestrians in cycle lanes, most of them seem oblivious to the danger they are creating.

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
The irony of a motorist commenting on the irony of a cyclist moaning about people disregarding the rules.

Oh god, it's some kind of vicious cycle of irony, we're all doomed.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
25-06-2018, 22:10   #9
RootsBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
I routinely come across pedestrians in cycle lanes, most of them seem oblivious to the danger they are creating.

---------- Post added 25-06-2018 at 22:06 ----------

The irony of a motorist commenting on the irony of a cyclist moaning about people disregarding the rules.

Oh god, it's some kind of vicious cycle of irony, we're all doomed.
There's more iron in cars than in bikes though
_______
I tried getting blood out of a stone once, it was like trying to get a straight answer from a theist.

25-06-2018, 22:30   #10
Rhyno

Total Posts: 200
Quote:
I routinely come across pedestrians in cycle lanes, most of them seem oblivious to the danger they are creating.[COLOR="Silver"]

How are they creating danger?

Pedestrians are made of soft stuff and are generally slow moving.

I can’t imagine how a pedestrian can constitute a danger. I guess they could be endangered by careless cyclists, but that is a different matter.

Last edited by Rhyno; 25-06-2018 at 23:52.
25-06-2018, 23:43   #11
Resident

Total Posts: 4,224
Quote:
So slow down and pass them wide. Leaving a gap of about 1.5m. Like you expect other roads users to do for you......
_______
As a child I had an imaginary friend, then I grew up and stopped going to church.
26-06-2018, 06:36   #12
northernboy

Total Posts: 823
Send a message via MSN to northernboy
I'm probably guilty of walking in a cycle lane simply because I'm sometimes unaware that a slightly different colour of pavement indicates it's for cyclists, when there are so many other patches, trenches and colours of pavement, and no obvious signage indicating cycle lane.
26-06-2018, 07:19   #13
Cyclone

Total Posts: 71,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post

I canít imagine how a pedestrian can constitute a danger. I guess they could be endangered by careless cyclists, but that is a different matter.
A 'slow moving soft stuff' obstacle around a corner where I shouldn't find such an obstacle. How can that be anything except dangerous?

---------- Post added 26-06-2018 at 07:21 ----------

Quote:
So slow down and pass them wide. Leaving a gap of about 1.5m. Like you expect other roads users to do for you......
How can I pass them wide? Cycle lanes are often not 1.5 metres wide themselves... It's not like a pedestrian in the carriageway, where you've got 15 - 20 metres to play with to get your 4 metre wide car past them.
It's a 1.5 metre wide cycle lane, with a pedestrian in the middle of it. There's generally not enough space to pass them at all, the only option is to stop whilst they gormlessly shuffle 3 ft over onto the pavement they should have always been on.

---------- Post added 26-06-2018 at 07:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernboy View Post
I'm probably guilty of walking in a cycle lane simply because I'm sometimes unaware that a slightly different colour of pavement indicates it's for cyclists, when there are so many other patches, trenches and colours of pavement, and no obvious signage indicating cycle lane.
Even the most oblivious should figure this out though.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.39...thumbfov%3D100

It's physically separate. A different colour. Has bikes painted on it and blue signs with destinations and bikes on them.

---------- Post added 26-06-2018 at 07:25 ----------

Quote:
Oh, and whilst you think you're being funny, cycles are allowed to use the road and car drivers are supposed to be competent enough to pass them safely.
Pedestrians aren't supposed to use cycle lanes, and obviously I do pass them safely, but they're still a danger, because they're not supposed to be there at all.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
26-06-2018, 07:48   #14
Rhyno

Quote:
A 'slow moving soft stuff' obstacle around a corner where I shouldn't find such an obstacle. How can that be anything except dangerous?[COLOR="Silver"]
Then you need to ride with more care, remembering that it is you that is the danger, not the pedestrian. The pedestrian is simply a more vulnerable road user. Please treat them as such.

As you clearly need it, let me pass on a tip, based upon my 30 years of accident free driving and cycling. If you cannot stop within your field of vision, you are going too fast.
26-06-2018, 08:09   #15
RootsBooster

Quote:

I canít imagine how a pedestrian can constitute a danger. I guess they could be endangered by careless cyclists, but that is a different matter.
I would say that play dough is soft stuff but I would imagine that riding in to a 200lb block of it could be quite dangerous

---------- Post added 26-06-2018 at 08:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsBooster View Post
I've found that most pedestrians don't acknowledge cycle paths across the whole of the city centre. In a morning you often see cyclists having to ride on the footpath because there are so many pedestrians on the cycle path.
With regards to my own post above and in mild defence of pedestrians, some cycle lanes are very poorly marked or defined. This is no excuse for lack of commonsense or awareness of surroundings though.
_______

26-06-2018, 09:04   #16
Rhyno

Quote:
I would say that play dough is soft stuff but I would imagine that riding in to a 200lb block of it could be quite dangerous

---------- Post added 26-06-2018 at 08:16 ----------

Indeed.

But it would be the riding, not the existence of the Play Dough that caused the danger.
26-06-2018, 10:05   #17
RootsBooster

Quote:
Indeed.

But it would be the riding, not the existence of the Play Dough that caused the danger.
I would say that if you place large quantities of 200lb play dough blocks, at staggered and random intervals along a narrow route designated specifically for cyclists, it's the play dough that's the problem.

If there's a raised tripping hazard on the pavement (such as a crooked/lifted slab), is it the pedestrians that are causing the danger?
_______

26-06-2018, 10:23   #18
raganoonande

Total Posts: 305
What about the cyclists that fly past the doors at the back of the train station! It really shocks me sometimes, I've nearly been knocked flying as I've emerged out those doors near the tram stop! I mean surely it just takes a bit of common sense that there might actually be people coming out of there and that those on bikes should try and slow down or dismount for a couple of seconds! Really!
26-06-2018, 10:54   #19
Rhyno

Quote:
I would say that if you place large quantities of 200lb play dough blocks, at staggered and random intervals along a narrow route designated specifically for cyclists, it's the play dough that's the problem.

If there's a raised tripping hazard on the pavement (such as a crooked/lifted slab), is it the pedestrians that are causing the danger?
It would be quite silly to place multiple large lumps of Play Dough on a cycle path. The almondy smell would be unpleasant too.

Maybe better to return to the real world. What if the 200lb block of Play Dough was to be replaced by a child in a push chair? In such a circumstance, would you expect a cyclist to be in sufficient control of their vehicle that they would not plough into the child?

City centres are shared spaces not race tracks for bikes, or cars.
26-06-2018, 11:09   #20
Martin C

Total Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by raganoonande View Post
What about the cyclists that fly past the doors at the back of the train station! It really shocks me sometimes, I've nearly been knocked flying as I've emerged out those doors near the tram stop! I mean surely it just takes a bit of common sense that there might actually be people coming out of there and that those on bikes should try and slow down or dismount for a couple of seconds! Really!
Although there are many more considerate/intelligent cyclists who do slow down when passing this exit I'd definitely agree that there's still a serious accident risk here given the speed at which the more 'entitled' cyclists pass by.
Reply To Topic