Artists performing at Sheffield Theatres

There was also the Plaza cinema at Handsworth, some good acts performed there.

Was it ever known as the Saints Club?

I saw Buddy Holly at the City Hall in 1958

There was also the Plaza cinema at Handsworth, some good acts performed there.

I'd be interested to know who.

I am trawling through local archives in relation to the subject of the thread, and it is interesting to see how little advertising was done for some venues. Some like The Mojo, Club60 and Esquire and the big venues were publicity conscious but many of the smaller venues just didn't bother. I know from the tiny venue that relatives of mine ran in the 1950's that they were guaranteed a healthy crowd, whoever they put on.

I'd be interested to know who.

I am trawling through local archives in relation to the subject of the thread, and it is interesting to see how little advertising was done for some venues. Some like The Mojo, Club60 and Esquire and the big venues were publicity conscious but many of the smaller venues just didn't bother. I know from the tiny venue that relatives of mine ran in the 1950's that they were guaranteed a healthy crowd, whoever they put on.

Gene Vincent played the Plaza in the 60s.

I asked if it was known as the Saints Club because there is a WEBSITE which comprehensively lists his tour dates in Europe. His Sheffield dates include the City Hall, the Gaumont and the Saints Club but not the Plaza.

Gene Vincent played the Plaza in the 60s.

I asked if it was known as the Saints Club because there is a WEBSITE which comprehensively lists his tour dates in Europe. His Sheffield dates include the City Hall, the Gaumont and the Saints Club but not the Plaza.

I saw Gene Vincent at the Black Cat Club (City Road) in late 1963 or early1964. I recall one of the songs song: 'Held for Questioning'. (As well as his other famous songs.)

Edited by St Petre
add

I saw Gene Vincent at the Black Cat Club (City Road) in late 1963 or early1964. I recall one of the songs song: 'Held for Questioning'. (As well as his other famous songs.)

Perhaps the Black Cat was misconstrued as the Saints Club as it was held in St Aidan's Church Hall.

Perhaps the Black Cat was misconstrued as the Saints Club as it was held in St Aidan's Church Hall.

Jim, not really about Gene Vincent but perhaps the Saint's Club might -I stress might- have been the church hall that belonged to St. Christopher's Church hall on Bellhouse Road, Shiregreen. I went there in late 1963 early 1964 and saw acts that had record contracts: Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Joe Cocker (Vance Arnold then) and Dave Berry and the Cruisers.

Hi - Probably mid to late forties (after the war anyway) my dad took me to see the Inkspots at the little Regent in Grimesthorpe. That was situated opposite side of the jennel to the Ball Inn. We called it the little Regent as apposed to the Regent in town, which was the name given before they renamed it the Gaumont some years later. Getting back to the Inkspots, after searching their itinerary website for that period, they might have been part of the Darnell Medical event/festivities that came up periodically (don't know if it still takes place). I know I am a little off topic in this regard but the latter has come up before on another thread. fleetwood

---------- Post added 24-03-2018 at 16:00 ----------

Incidentally the stage door to the little Regent was down the jennel from the Ball on the righthand side.

Hi - Probably mid to late forties (after the war anyway) my dad took me to see the Inkspots at the little Regent in Grimesthorpe. That was situated opposite side of the jennel to the Ball Inn. We called it the little Regent as apposed to the Regent in town, which was the name given before they renamed it the Gaumont some years later. Getting back to the Inkspots, after searching their itinerary website for that period, they might have been part of the Darnell Medical event/festivities that came up periodically (don't know if it still takes place). I know I am a little off topic in this regard but the latter has come up before on another thread. fleetwood

---------- Post added 24-03-2018 at 16:00 ----------

Incidentally the stage door to the little Regent was down the jennel from the Ball on the righthand side.

Was that Jennel opposite the bottom of Wincobank Lane (at Upwell Street) leading to Upwell Lane at the Reform Chapel and the bus terminus ?

It might be off topic slightly but as I research I'm finding these small venues fascinating.

There was a lot more going on than official records imply.

For instance, much later- in about 1970, after Peter Green left Fleetwood Mac he turned up in Weston Park, invited by local gig organiser Glyn Senior, one sunday and jammed with musicians from local bands at a free concert.

It has been mentioned on this forum before but its not recorded anywhere else. There are many rumours that are difficult to verify- Paul Simon performing at a pub in the Division St/Fitzwilliam St area in the early sixties is a persistent one.

Just keep the stories coming, fascinating!

---------- Post added 25-03-2018 at 17:00 ----------

Was that Jennel opposite the bottom of Wincobank Lane (at Upwell Street) leading to Upwell Lane at the Reform Chapel and the bus terminus ?

It stood on the other side of Little Lane which runs down the right hand side of the Ball Inn as you look at it from across the road. The last time I looked, part of the front wall of The Regent was still standing and was a car tyre or car spares place.

Edited by Person6

Thanks for replying - Person6 beat me too it, yes it was the lane that brought you out at the Bowling Green at the bottom of Grimesthorpe Rd. We used that lane all the time when going and coming from the Victory Picture Palace and when visiting our doctors surgery which was next to the cinema. fleetwood

Thanks for replying - Person6 beat me too it, yes it was the lane that brought you out at the Bowling Green at the bottom of Grimesthorpe Rd. We used that lane all the time when going and coming from the Victory Picture Palace and when visiting our doctors surgery which was next to the cinema. fleetwood

I thought that was Chambers Lane, which had vehicle access to and from Upwell Street / Upwell Lane ,the jennell. which was a few yards further along was a pedestrian walkway.