Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Latest Tree Felling, Sandford Grove Rd etc .

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

20-03-2018, 07:35   #961
Cyclone

Total Posts: 71,140
Many of the police working for SYP do of course live in Sheffield.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
20-03-2018, 08:10   #962

Total Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhouse View Post
Responsibility lies squarely with the SCC inner cabinet who have persistently failed to properly fund the proper management of the street trees and highways over the past 20-30 years.
Now this is the cause of the present problems, but in their efforts to put things right they're trapped by that past neglect. On the tree issue there is natural concentration on trees being felled.

What is almost totally ignored is the number of trees that were felled without replacement over at least the last 30 years. About 15 years ago if the tree was diseased or dangerous down it came, without notice, that was it. After a tree was felled opposite my house we made strong protests and were assured that in future local residents would be given notice. We were given the option to pay for a replacement tree costing about £150 and did. It's now the best tree on our road, one of only two left. Nobody else seems to have been made the purchase offer, or took it up when the other trees came down. There used to be one between each pair of houses.

The one remaining original tree looks in poor condition. The only other to have survived until 2017 was grossly out of proportion to its restricted location and a replacement is awaited. The original trees were the wrong type for their situation, lovely though the blossom was each spring, and it was inevitable that they would go, but the previous non replacement policy has been responsible for the loss of unknown thousands of street trees in earlier decades.
20-03-2018, 09:13   #963
Staunton

Total Posts: 913
This whole disgusting circumstance exposes the lie of austerity.

Austerity is a politically motivated war on the public sector by the conservative government (and their New Labour friends) in the interest of big business.

The objectives of that war are simple - the transfer of wealth from ordinary people into the pockets of the rich, the executives and shareholders of the multinational corporations such as Grupo Ferrovial (Amey's parent company).

And, the fundamental principles of neoliberalism apply - one of which is the use of physical force to ensure that ordinary people can be pushed aside, their interests ignored.

The public sector is being dismantled before our eyes, the services that the public sector supplies privatised for profit, the needs of the ordinary person increasinglygo unmet, their complaints ignored by weaponised bureaucracy, their protests met with force.

Are you an ordinary person like me? Well, you no longer count.
20-03-2018, 17:29   #964
hilp4

Total Posts: 34
Could I just ask the protesters to think about visually impaired people as well as the trees. I am visually impaired and my sight is going to get much worse. Since some trees have been felled, and replaced on my estate, I can now walk a lot more safely than before and not be afraid of tripping and falling over the emormous tree roots that caused the path to be very uneven and broken. It’s a trial walking outdoors anyway with the many obstructions around so I for one am very pleased with all the new pavements and roads. I must also say that I am a tree lover and have always praised Sheffield for being the greenest city.
20-03-2018, 17:54   #965
dave_the_m

Total Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilp4 View Post
Could I just ask the protesters to think about visually impaired people as well as the trees. I am visually impaired and my sight is going to get much worse. Since some trees have been felled, and replaced on my estate, I can now walk a lot more safely than before and not be afraid of tripping and falling over the emormous tree roots that caused the path to be very uneven and broken. Itís a trial walking outdoors anyway with the many obstructions around so I for one am very pleased with all the new pavements and roads. I must also say that I am a tree lover and have always praised Sheffield for being the greenest city.
This is one of the most pernicious myths put about by Amey/SCC. The choice isn't between keeping the trees or having flat pavement; it's perfectly possible to have both in most cases. There are many engineering solutions including flexi-pave which have already been paid for in the contract, which haven't been used at all (although SCC lied through their teeth about this for two years, until the ICO forced their hand).

See this page on the STAG website for details of why humped pavement is rarely unfixable.

In fact on Abbeydale Park Rise last week, a section of pavement that was allegedly unrepairably damaged by a tree root, was left perfectly flat after being retarmaced by some BT contractors as part of putting in a trench for some cabling.
20-03-2018, 19:27   #966
Eater Sundae

Total Posts: 7,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_the_m View Post
This is one of the most pernicious myths put about by Amey/SCC. The choice isn't between keeping the trees or having flat pavement; it's perfectly possible to have both in most cases. There are many engineering solutions including flexi-pave which have already been paid for in the contract, which haven't been used at all (although SCC lied through their teeth about this for two years, until the ICO forced their hand).

See this page on the STAG website for details of why humped pavement is rarely unfixable.

In fact on Abbeydale Park Rise last week, a section of pavement that was allegedly unrepairably damaged by a tree root, was left perfectly flat after being retarmaced by some BT contractors as part of putting in a trench for some cabling.
Did BT's Contractor remove the offending root?
20-03-2018, 19:36   #967
Penistone999

Total Posts: 8,701
Drove down Rivelin Valley Rd today and saw The Plod all stood there trying to look menacing and make sure a load of protesting pensioners didnt " bully " Amey`s tree destroyers. Two riot vans and at least a dozen wooden tops .

These Amey workmen cant be right brave needing plod protection from pensioners. Id say the protesters were in more danger of being assaulted than the workman .

---------- Post added 20-03-2018 at 19:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staunton View Post
Isn't it remarkable, Social Care is suffering chronic underfunding, Childrens Services is in crisis, but Sheffield City Council can make substantial funds available for security operations around the city's trees?
SCC have always found money for their pet projects .
20-03-2018, 19:47   #968
dave_the_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater Sundae View Post
Did BT's Contractor remove the offending root?
No, that's the whole point. When people see a raised ridge of tarmac with a crack running along it, they reasonably to assume that the root is directly below the tarmac. In this case,
BT dug a trench a foot deep, and the root was below that level.
20-03-2018, 20:42   #969
WarPig

Total Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penistone999 View Post
Two riot vans
They aren't riot vans, they are just vans used to move cops about in.
20-03-2018, 21:36   #970
Penistone999

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarPig View Post
They aren't riot vans, they are just vans used to move cops about in.
Same thing
21-03-2018, 00:32   #971
gazza c

Total Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey104 View Post
Good grief! You canít even see the evidence with your own eyes. She is in an area she shouldnít be. Security werenít even dealing with her. She fell because she was holding on to that other idiot that was being removed.
Itís not peaceful protest when you are entering an excluded area to prevent lawful work from happening.
Stop wasting my tax money because like the Newbury bypass, itís going to happen. You may be delaying the inevitable but at a hell of a cost to Sheffield taxpayers.
Well said!

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 00:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula4sheff View Post
Fortunately mainly people recognise that living in an environment surrounded by tarmac and concrete is pretty awful, for both the ebvirontment, and mental health. Not to mention sterile, and bleak.

Rather sad that you seem to view things in such a dull manner. I imagine replacing any grass in your garden with fake grass or concrete is also a priority. 'easier to manage'. Depressing.
Some people live surrounded by concrete and tarmac due to where they live, think your looking down your nose at people less well off/affluent than yourself. And to mention mental health to try and back up your argument is stooping pretty low.
21-03-2018, 08:35   #972
WarPig

There are at least a couple of members on here who seem to post pure propaganda against what is after all a lawful activity, whether it be a popular one or not. They seem to live on here trying to stir emotions with their one sided ranting and are incapable to moving from their viewpoint.

The tree felling is unpopular but it is lawful, and it's being carried out on behalf of a council that was democratically voted in by its people.

Last edited by WarPig; 21-03-2018 at 08:37.
21-03-2018, 09:02   #973
Cyclone

Tax avoidance is lawful, but it doesn't stop it being widely condemned...
_______
21-03-2018, 09:04   #974
dave_the_m

Quote:
There are at least a couple of members on here who seem to post pure propaganda against what is after all a lawful activity, whether it be a popular one or not. They seem to live on here trying to stir emotions with their one sided ranting and are incapable to moving from their viewpoint..
Well I for one haven't been posting propaganda - I try very hard to present factually correct information, which has involved extensive reading of statutes, court judgements, and Amey/SCC documents (where they condescend to actually release them).

SCC on the other hand can be shown (with good supporting evidence) to have consistently misled councillors, the public, SYP, and the courts.
21-03-2018, 10:04   #975
WarPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Tax avoidance is lawful, but it doesn't stop it being widely condemned...
Certainly not by me, and not by anyone that I know. Tax avoidance is just a sensible approach to any business. Would you say that a business donating money to charity to avoid tax should be condemned?
21-03-2018, 12:40   #976
Penistone999

Quote:
There are at least a couple of members on here who seem to post pure propaganda against what is after all a lawful activity, whether it be a popular one or not. They seem to live on here trying to stir emotions with their one sided ranting and are incapable to moving from their viewpoint.

The tree felling is unpopular but it is lawful, and it's being carried out on behalf of a council that was democratically voted in by its people.
SY Plod have shown thoughout these protests they are bullies and are happy to man handle and assault pensioners . They disgust me .
21-03-2018, 13:35   #977
fill

Total Posts: 131
I only ask out of interest but if someone else's tree ... as in the case the council's... over hangs your property is there any legal means that enables you to force them to prune it back to outside your border.

Also as council trees, I have none, deposit large amounts of leaves in the autumn which completely cover the front my property do I have any means by which I can force the council to come and remove them?

This last autumn I paid some kids to put the leaves in the bin for me, a bin man said he was not supposed to empty it if it was full of leaves when I explained they were all council leaves he said he'd take my bin this time but next time there is a scheme for garden rubbish.
21-03-2018, 13:36   #978
WarPig

Quote:
SY Plod have shown thoughout these protests they are bullies and are happy to man handle and assault pensioners . They disgust me .
And that is a good example of the point Im making.
21-03-2018, 14:41   #979
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fill View Post
I only ask out of interest but if someone else's tree ... as in the case the council's... over hangs your property is there any legal means that enables you to force them to prune it back to outside your border.

Also as council trees, I have none, deposit large amounts of leaves in the autumn which completely cover the front my property do I have any means by which I can force the council to come and remove them?

This last autumn I paid some kids to put the leaves in the bin for me, a bin man said he was not supposed to empty it if it was full of leaves when I explained they were all council leaves he said he'd take my bin this time but next time there is a scheme for garden rubbish.
You are free to prune back the branches yourself and then return the councils property to it.
You can't require them to clear up leaves no. Nor can you make your neighbour clear up leaves if they blow in from a tree they own.
_______
21-03-2018, 15:50   #980
monkey104

Total Posts: 3,640
Quote:
Until you you get robbed, assaulted or any other plethora of reasons folk call the police.
Reply To Topic