Paternoster Lift. Sheffield University's Arts Tower.

It could be a follow up to this story last year about them being rare and that one of the last surviving ones was being closed: Paternoster

...No mention of exactly why Look North were presenting the story? Thought it might have been the anniversary or maybe preservation of the lift?...

Leicester University shut theirs down very recently, a month or so ago, I think. Perhaps the Sheffield University one is the only one left in the UK, or now the tallest one, or some such thing.

ETA: Ha! Didn't realise the beeb had covered that one too.

Edited by Guest

When I worked there last year in Maintenance I often went on this rather than wait for the lift,thought it was great.

It could be a follow up to this story last year about them being rare and that one of the last surviving ones was being closed: Paternoster

Didn't realise they are banned from new builds. Used them many times during the three day week in 1974 at UKAEA Risley.

I went both over the top and under the bottom during my time at Uni. Sometimes if there was a big queue on the bottom floor to go up, it would be quicker to catch one on the way down and go round instead.

It was usually OK but I did get stuck once and had to climb out.

I remember during my graduation there was a reception on the tenth floor and my gran was a bit slow stepping off it and carried on up a few more floors before taking the leap.

Hmm.. I`ve worked at Uni for agency, post retirement, and you would be well advised to go by the lift if you are travelling more than 4 floors say.

It is deadly slow. As you would expect if people have to step on and off.

Lots of freshers had problems initially, as you might expect, getting the timing right. It could be fun to watch them geeing themselves up to take the first step on.

:)

A slow news day at Look North then, covering a lift that has been in a building for decades, truly top notch journalism.

Look North tonight are leading with JFK being shot in Dallas, and the impact it will have on the Yorkshire region

:hihi: made my night this.

Blimey, Look North must have well and truely run dry of content.

Its already made national coverage over 4 years ago

The One Show was at it back in 2013....

I wonder if there has been many accidents,i would like the chance to do the full circle in it before it finally gets closed down.Limb loss looks a possibility on it if you get your timing wrong.:hihi:

I wonder if there has been many accidents,i would like the chance to do the full circle in it before it finally gets closed down.Limb loss looks a possibility on it if you get your timing wrong.:hihi:

I wouldn't mind having a go on it as well.

Maybe out of term time the Uni could allow limited access for a small charge so the general public could have a ride up to the top. I'd like to see the views from up the top of the tower.

I wouldn't mind having a go on it as well.

Maybe out of term time the Uni could allow limited access for a small charge so the general public could have a ride up to the top. I'd like to see the views from up the top of the tower.

Not sure access is really a problem. Nobody challenged me when I went up on it to take some photos from the top floor.