Darts - Respect of the art

Berry van Peer has been suffering with dartitis on stage and I must say he's handled it incredibly well. Massive credit to himself and to the sport!

Berry van Peer has been suffering with dartitis on stage and I must say he's handled it incredibly well. Massive credit to himself and to the sport!

Is "Dartitis" really a thing or a **** take? Sure people can get disorders that cause them to lose some motor skills, but for it to happen to a darts player and it be referred to as "dartitis", really??. If it happened to Rory Mcllroy would it be called golfitis?

In Golf it is called " The Yips "

Yes, this malady raises its ugly head in my ex sport of clay shooting. Clay comes out of the trap, and the trigger may as well be welded solid, you just cannot pull the trigger. It ended my participation in the sport after more than thirty years. No clay pigeons were hurt during this time.

Angel1.

Is "Dartitis" really a thing or a **** take? Sure people can get disorders that cause them to lose some motor skills, but for it to happen to a darts player and it be referred to as "dartitis", really??. If it happened to Rory Mcllroy would it be called golfitis?

Yep, it really is a thing :)

Used to play pub league darts throughout the 80s & early 90s until it became more and more difficult to let go of the dart. Probably hard to relate to if you haven't experienced it but no matter how much I practiced (no pressure), and how much I told myself that it could only be in my head, I couldn't get back to the smooth, easy throwing motion that I'd taken for granted.

Happens in snooker too.

I've heard of some players using a matchstick to throw before the first dart, just to get over the psychological issue.

I think Eric Bristow suffered with it later in his career and had to re-think his way of approaching the throw - an action he'd done naturally for years.

I think we may see something special happen in the pdc world championship not seen since Keith Deller did it.Rob Cross a man unknown in darts 12 months ago has made is way to the final against Phil Taylor and he will be the world number six if he wins or not,in just one season.I have watched him playing in the pdc this year and i am kicking myself that i haven't had a bet on him becoming world champion.He dumped out Van Gerwyn last night and i am hoping that he will pull off an amazing feat not seen in darts since 1983.Come on Rob you can do it.:clap::clap:

---------- Post added 02-01-2018 at 18:23 ----------

Big well done to Rob Cross for soundly and professionally beating Phil Taylor the best player ever.This man is going to be one of the best for a long time.

The darts has been one of the few things I have enjoyed watching this Christmas/NY.

The final and the Cross MVG semi in particular were brilliant to watch.

Some exciting new names in the premier league too.