Campaign grows to switch the building of HS2 station to Sheffield city

The fact that a major infrastructure project takes years to deliver shouldn't be a surprise, nor will it mean that the additional capacity it delivers will somehow not exist when it's delivered. Never building anything because it might not be the best or the newest by the time it's finished would be a very foolish approach.

It doesn't need to be revolutionary or cutting edge, it just needs to deliver an increase in rail capacity.

Guest makapaka
The fact that a major infrastructure project takes years to deliver shouldn't be a surprise, nor will it mean that the additional capacity it delivers will somehow not exist when it's delivered. Never building anything because it might not be the best or the newest by the time it's finished would be a very foolish approach.

It doesn't need to be revolutionary or cutting edge, it just needs to deliver an increase in rail capacity.

Absolutely - nothing would ever get built otherwise.

It's a good thing - sadly it's going to affect a small minority.

People live within 100 yards of the M1, indeed some live within 10 yards of it. And people lost their homes when the M1 and the rest of the motorways were built between the 1950s and 1980s, not to mention the rest of the railway network from the 1820s onwards. Its called progress - a term you are obviously very unfamiliar with.

What a very bumptious comment. I am fully aware with both "progress" made in my lifetime. which has possibly spanned more years than yours, and also that made over preceding centuries.

I understand the "progress" in the construction of our railways - many now closed by Beeching, the rest, sadly ailing.

I lived alongside the "progress" in building the M1 - now inadequate for purpose. Even "progress" has a shelf life.

My concerns then that this proposed major upheaval countrywide really delivers "progress" and long-term.

Given that HS2 was first conceived in 2010 and expected to be built in our area in 2033 (and we won't hold our breath) it is quite conceivable that this next "progress" will be an already out-dated system before it even gets started. At terrible expense and not just financially. For its cost, upheaval and longevity, it needs to be a forerunner in technology, not merely a copy of what has been up and running elsewhere for years. In which case, can we truly afford it? I am sure that you are fully knowledgeable and updated with HS2's sales pitch. In which case you will know that much is based on wrong information; out-dated maps; total oblivion that some affected settlements actually exist; disregard to human beings and their surrounds; scant knowledge of budget (estimated by HS2 as 55.7bn, now estimated at 111bn by Dept. of Transport); the promise of extra jobs and benefit to the North (neither substantiated as fact);no recognition that many may well commute north to south (cheaper houses to larger salaries) rather than bringing wealth to the north. Also that their many senior personnel are leaving; contractors are pulling out; their procurement process breaking down....the list goes on. And an awful lot of people are earning an awful lot of money on the back of this "mess" whilst we see costs spiralling out of control - and present technology being overtaken by other, more modern developments (autonomous vehicles?). This farce is of such a scale as to render, for now, the present arguments for where stations should be built, as insignificant. This is a massive project, probably the largest our country has seen. If it is proven right that it should happen, then we have to get it right. For or against HS2, "progress" will not be made until much of HS2 is further scrutinised - and by genuinely independent bodies, not hand in glove mates of either the government or HS2, all getting rich from the same pot, and HS2 are made answerable to much that is wrong. But then, pigs might fly!

The old boy network still prevails, all getting richer, and because of the embarrassingly spiralling monies already spent, few now have the guts to hold up their hands to the fact that much of the current proposal is flawed and there is still much to be learnt and understood before HS2 is indeed proved to be "progress". Not doom-mongering, but fact.

Which is why I have total empathy with those who have already lived for four/five years now under the threat of losing their homes/businesses. Bad enough if proven for all the right reasons, more so if this becomes the white elephant many, at present, know it to be.

At the very first mention of HS2 to our region, I predicted that, conveniently, monies would run out and it wouldn't happen, leaving the North even more isolated. It is highly unlikely that I will live to see whether or not I was right. But I hope that, whatever the outcome, it is the right one for our next generations.

Interestingly, Pss60, whilst you were quick to have decided my shortcomings, you forgot to answer my question "Can I take it that you won't be losing your home, or maybe even worse, having to live within 100 yards of this "progress"?

I live about 150 yards from a railway line, and a six or eight lane motorway takes up far more room than a twin track railway. Had things been left to the likes of yourself, we'd still be using dirt tracks because a road, however primitive, would be too destructive. You're the type who'd complain about a footpath being created.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

I live about 150 yards from a railway line, and a six or eight lane motorway takes up far less room than a twin track railway.

I can't quite see how that can be the case, even with cuttings and embankments, but a motorway also needs them. Surely it's the other way round?

However, although a twin track railway may take only the space of one carriageway, but it almost certainly moves a lot less than that half of the average 6 or 8 lane motorway.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

I live about 150 yards from a railway line, and a six or eight lane motorway takes up far less room than a twin track railway. Had things been left to the likes of yourself, we'd still be using dirt tracks because a road, however primitive, would be too destructive. You're the type who'd complain about a footpath being created.

Surely you have that the wrong way round? I also live near a 3 track railway and it takes up FAR less room than the 6/8 lane motorway i see at meadowhall every time i catch the tram

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Surely you have that the wrong way round? I also live near a 3 track railway and it takes up FAR less room than the 6/8 lane motorway i see at meadowhall every time i catch the tram

Oops, I boobed. It should have indeed read that a six or eight lane motorway takes up far more land than a twin track railway.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Had things been left to the likes of yourself, we'd still be using dirt tracks because a road, however primitive, would be too destructive. You're the type who'd complain about a footpath being created.

Agree with all this. Progress, change, make a better life for ourselves and future generations. All these are dirty concepts to too many vocal Sheffielders.

I'm sure there are plenty of progressive Sheffielders but they don't speak up as they may well be lynched as witches or some such.

Agree with all this. Progress, change, make a better life for ourselves and future generations. All these are dirty concepts to too many vocal Sheffielders.

I'm sure there are plenty of progressive Sheffielders but they don't speak up as they may well be lynched as witches or some such.

Do you really need to get to London 20 mins quicker than you can now, even at £500 return a price quoted on the radio this morning as being the sum for a train leaving Leeds at 9am.

Guest makapaka
Do you really need to get to London 20 mins quicker than you can now, even at £500 return a price quoted on the radio this morning as being the sum for a train leaving Leeds at 9am.

Your assuming that it's just about speed - as that's what the media have focussed on for soundbites - it's also about capacity.

Wait and see re the price - who knows where we'll be in 2033+

Im old enough to remember everyone saying exactly the same thing about the Euro tunnel. That it was too expensive and pointless etc etc

And do you remember every one saying the same about the 2012 Olympics? The event was a month long and cost £10bn but in the end we all enjoyed it.

Our lives would not change if we didnt build HS2....we wouldnt get a cheque for £100 sent to everyone

Our country is over populated and we need as much infrastructure as possible. Get it built.

Still stick with my original thought - Meadowhall stop on the main HS2 makes much more sense. Road / tram / train access already there, plenty of brownfield space and it serves the whole of South Yorkshire.

Now we get just more capacity going through a town centre station already struggling for infrastructure around it.

Mad.

I am all for HS2 especially with the preferred route to the city centre. I hope this is confirmed later today. We need improved transport for the whole country. This is going to create or secure thousands of jobs and give the housing market around the centre a lift. Not all is bad.