[RELEASED] Windows 10 - NEW THREAD

I had a bit of an issue with Cortana when I took the upgrade, though it seemed to cure itself.

However a second issue I found was blurry text in some programs like Microsoft money. And again in some windows drop down menus, and secondary windows for instance device manager, or system properties.

Found this page with the solution that works perfectly for me. Worth a try if you know anyone else with the same symptoms.

http://windows10_dpi_blurry_fix.xpexplorer.com/

Overall I am starting to warm to Windows 10, till I find the next thing to stump me.

are we better off sticking to windows 7 ultimate ?

as i hate w8 and w 8.1 is better but not for me.

are we better off sticking to windows 7 ultimate ?

as i hate w8 and w 8.1 is better but not for me.

Honestly, it's not as bad as I'm making out it.

OK, the Start Menu is really daft (as someone on here once said, it's like somebody stuck a Windows Phone to the Start button) but backup your data and install it!

You have a little under one year left before you have to pay for it :D

If you do not like the Start menu in Windows 10 then you can always install Classic Shell Start menu.

Tutorial here

Thank you, I've just installed it and it's great to have the ol' Start Menu back!

I've upgraded a laptop from win7 home to win10.

First impressions are that it looks OK, it wasn't a blisteringly powerful machine in the first place and the upgrade doesn't seem to have slowed it down noticably.

I'm a little concerned about all the information Microsoft want sent back to them in order to use features like Cortana which tbh I'm not really interested in, so I've turned them all off.

One thing I noticed was that Silverlight doesn't work with Edge, so anyone watching Amazon Prime instant video will need a workaround.

Some features I'm really not interested in like xbox & the news feed & would like to remove them but can't find a way of doing it so any pointers would be appreciated.

But on the whole the upgrade was reasonably painless, the result looks OK, the PC isn't running like a drugged slug & things seem reasonably easy to find, so thumbs up from me.

my biggest worry would be the hardware. when i upgraded from windows 2000to windows 7 my flat bed scanner and printer both had to be skipped as there were no drivers. i'm going to hold off windows 10 until i'm sure that there are drivers available for the current gear. a3 colour lazer printers aren't cheap.

I'm still waiting patiently for the upgrade...All the information I've got says it could be a few days or a few weeks...I seem to be at the back of the queue..:(

I wouldn't wait.

I tried to trigger the instant update on my tablet and it kept failing. Installing from the ISO is way more reliable IMO and basically the same thing except the download is more reliable.

---------- Post added 05-08-2015 at 16:34 ----------

I had a bit of an issue with Cortana when I took the upgrade, though it seemed to cure itself.

However a second issue I found was blurry text in some programs like Microsoft money. And again in some windows drop down menus, and secondary windows for instance device manager, or system properties.

Found this page with the solution that works perfectly for me. Worth a try if you know anyone else with the same symptoms.

http://windows10_dpi_blurry_fix.xpexplorer.com/

Overall I am starting to warm to Windows 10, till I find the next thing to stump me.

Cortana refuses to work on mine, it says "not available in your region" then proceeds to tell me it will ONLY work in the following regions, including the one I am in and have set. :loopy:

Fortunately I couldn't give two flying farts for voice stuff. I have enough trouble trying to play/pause Netflix on Xbox One. I end up losing my temper and using the controller.

---------- Post added 05-08-2015 at 16:38 ----------

my biggest worry would be the hardware. when i upgraded from windows 2000to windows 7 my flat bed scanner and printer both had to be skipped as there were no drivers. i'm going to hold off windows 10 until i'm sure that there are drivers available for the current gear. a3 colour lazer printers aren't cheap.

Aww man, I'd kill for an A3 colour laser!

What model is the printer?

Edited by AlexAtkin

I'm still waiting patiently for the upgrade...All the information I've got says it could be a few days or a few weeks...I seem to be at the back of the queue..:(

Download from Microsoft

You will need a blank DVD or Pen Drive.

Choose the Upgrade option.

The Xbox streaming feature is a brilliant addition and so is multi-desktop feature. Still getting used to the new layout (no more moving to right edge of screen to shutdown)