Former site of Tinsley towers gets go ahead for art project.

A new £500,000 public art project is to be created at the former home of Sheffield’s famous Tinsley cooling towers.

Sheffield Council has announced details of the new scheme - almost six years to the day since the towers were demolished.

Link to Star article.

I really liked the lattice towers idea in the previous plans. I doubt 500k would cover it though.

Lets hope its something that can be seen from the viaduct,ie tall.

Not much point otherwise really.

Couldnt that £500,000 be spent on carers or buses for old people?

I thought the Sheffield City Council were skint?

Guest sibon

Dunno.

Do you think that EON will pay for carers and buses?

It appears that SCC are only skint when it comes to things that sheffiield people might actually need.

They do not appear to be skint when it is something that SCC WANT.

Edited by Tommo68

Guest sibon
It appears that SCC are only skint when it comes to things that sheffiield people might actually need.

They do not appear to be skint when it is something that SCC WANT.

Half a million on something that some will say is art and doubtless as many will say its a waste of money.

We now have a Labour Council that is willing to waste Half a Million on something that some will say is art and doubtless as many will say its a waste of money.. Something to consider perhaps next time we have council elections.

If they are so convinced that a bit of artwork down by the sewage works is so important would it not have been better for the council to offer the space up for a bit of privately funded artwork and then see how much interest there was?

Did you notice where the money is coming from?

From a councillor called Eion ? :huh::hihi:

In this particular case .... I have now. so I have ammended my post .. thanks for the heads up.

When the towers went down on August 25, 2008, it had been intended that a new £4 million public artwork would be created, with the aid of a £500,000 donation from energy company E.ON.

But, following the global financial crisis, the plans were downscaled for a smaller scheme to be created instead. Details of the new plans have now been revealed, which will be paid for using the money provided by E.ON.

IMHO. Most art projects still result in a waste of money though that could be better spent elsewhere....wherever it's coming from. But if E.on want to waste their money, and only their money perhaps E.ON customers ought to be thinking about how much they are over paying to company that can afford to waste money.

I stopped banking with Barclays because they started to sponsor football, if they can afford that they could; pay more interest, reduce their charges or actually have people staffing counters in Sheffield's central branch.

Let's hope they do something about the horrific stench of poo before all the visitors and cyclists are expected to flock to the site.